Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Looks pretty decent and not a bad price either. Saw where my Ruger American 22 magnum now has an M.S.R.P. of $439 up from $339. Not too crowded a field with 22 mag. out there in semi-auto. Savage has the A-22 mag. and maybe CZ. Mine getting about the same group with the CCI H.P. 40 grain at 50 also. Have found the Hornady 45 grain very accurate also with tight groups. Likin the Vortex I slapped on it too.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
H

How does it compare to the Savage? I have only heard good reviews on it.
I would go with the Savage if ya must have a semi. More money but looks better by far. Caught an online review on the Rossi. Guy complained about the trigger and those magazines look pretty bad. Not a fan of the matte dull finish either. Overall happy with the Ruger American in bolt. Glossy bluing and stock at least not too cheap looking and feels more sturdy. Might want to consider the standard stock module as I did for LOP . Gives another 1 1/4 inch on the Compact. Like I said makes for a good woods varmint rifle.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
vage

Thanks. I have only had good reviews on the Savage and I have them in 17 HMR and 17 WSM bolt guns, both are tack drivers. I just have always like the 22 mag and wanted a semi-auto. I ruined it when I bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 mag, probably the most accurate gun I own, one hole groups. I took it coyote hunting last month but did not get a chance.

I just like the 22 mag. In a survival situation you could take anything from deer down with one. I read an article by one of the gun writers a few years ago. He was in Argentina or Brazil of some place in South America . I think he went to hunt birds. Anyway, he was allowed to hunt the place and went for a hike in the hills and borrowed a lever action Winchester in 22 mag for small game. Along the way he encountered a cougar and killed it with one shot. And my limited experience with it suggests it is will kill pretty well. I met an old native American man once who said he had killed over 100 deer with his Marlin bolt action 22 mag, and I have zero doubt it was true.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If I go that way, I will take a second look at the Savage.
Might be a good choice in my opinion. It is suppose to function with different brands and bullet grains I read in a review. Recall that article you mentioned. Author was Rick Jamison. He took out some kind of cat I recall. Can't wait to get out there with my Ruger after deer season.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
That's outstanding for that range! Surprising low price is right despite the synthetic and matte finish. And for a semi auto yet. My RAR now carries a M.S.R.P of $439 up from 339. Should still be able to get one cheaper though. Trouble is so many rifles are listed as "Out Of Stock"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts