Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
That's outstanding for that range! Surprising low price is right despite the synthetic and matte finish. And for a semi auto yet. My RAR now carries a M.S.R.P of $439 up from 339. Should still be able to get one cheaper though. Trouble is so many rifles are listed as "Out Of Stock"

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I don't have a Savage to compare it with, I wish some Savage A 22 Magnums were available I do like the Ruger style Rotary 10 round mag in the Savage A22m 22WMR Rifle. But for $273.00 out the door is not a bad price I am very happy with the accuracy of this Rossi RS-22 M I found the .22 WMR CCI 40 grain HP ammo to be extremely accurate at 100 yards.
View attachment 170321

10 Shots into one hole at 100 Yards with the .22wmr CCI 40 hp ammo fired on a USARMY 25 meter Iron Sight Battle Sight zero target The group is under one Inch at 100 Yards
. View attachment 170322
View attachment 170323
That is an incredible group for a 22 mag bolt gun, much less a semi auto. I do not know how old you are, at 73 I remember reading early in life that the 22 mag was never going to be an accurate cartridge. I mentioned above I have Ruger Precision Rimfire that is accurate like yours, apparently somebody did not get the word. I also have a Henry Golden Boy in 22 mag, same deal accurate as can be.

The rotary magazine in the Savage is not the same as the neat rotary mag in the Rugers. I have them in the 1022, Charger, and the Precision rimfire, they are 100%. I also have the Savage 17 WSM which is a super little round and just as accurate, a 20 grain bullet at 3,000. Great for crows and prairie dogs a long way out. Have not shot a coyote with it but most reviews are good out to 150 yards. The rotary mag is flimsy and hard to load. It looks and feels like cheap plastic. It locks with a little clip that I doubt would survive a drop on a hard surface. I just got a spare in the mail today, just in case one of the first two might break. LOL

Anyway that is a great group. We had coyotes in the hard last night and my Precision Rimfire is out and loaded with the same CCI maxy mag hollow point in your picture. While I do not need another rimfire, that one sure looks tempting.

Reactions: BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
That is an incredible group for a 22 mag bolt gun, much less a semi auto. I do not know how old you are, at 73 I remember reading early in life that the 22 mag was never going to be an accurate cartridge. I mentioned above I have Ruger Precision Rimfire that is accurate like yours, apparently somebody did not get the word. I also have a Henry Golden Boy in 22 mag, same deal accurate as can be.

The rotary magazine in the Savage is not the same as the neat rotary mag in the Rugers. I have them in the 1022, Charger, and the Precision rimfire, they are 100%. I also have the Savage 17 WSM which is a super little round and just as accurate, a 20 grain bullet at 3,000. Great for crows and prairie dogs a long way out. Have not shot a coyote with it but most reviews are good out to 150 yards. The rotary mag is flimsy and hard to load. It looks and feels like cheap plastic. It locks with a little clip that I doubt would survive a drop on a hard surface. I just got a spare in the mail today, just in case one of the first two might break. LOL

Anyway that is a great group. We had coyotes in the hard last night and my Precision Rimfire is out and loaded with the same CCI maxy mag hollow point in your picture. While I do not need another rimfire, that one sure looks tempting.
I would like to try that Savage A17 semi Auto. I was pleasantly surprised with the . Rossi RS22M 22 WMR, I have killed several coyotes with the.22 Long Rifle and the 22 Magnum and the .17 Remington Center Fire never one with the.17 Rim Fire I would like to try it out. I like the rotary box magazine like the 10/22 Ruger has I wish Rossi used that same magazine. You are about 5 years ahead of me in age. The target was not offhand my rifle was in a shooting vise a Cauldwell Precision Turret Tripod.

Reactions: John A.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks pretty decent and not a bad price either. Saw where my Ruger American 22 magnum now has an M.S.R.P. of $439 up from $339. Not too crowded a field with 22 mag. out there in semi-auto. Savage has the A-22 mag. and maybe CZ. Mine getting about the same group with the CCI H.P. 40 grain at 50 also. Have found the Hornady 45 grain very accurate also with tight groups. Likin the Vortex I slapped on it too.
I wanted a Savage A-22 Magnum or a CZ .22 Mag semi-auto but I cant find them anywhere.

Reactions: John A.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
vage

Thanks. I have only had good reviews on the Savage and I have them in 17 HMR and 17 WSM bolt guns, both are tack drivers. I just have always like the 22 mag and wanted a semi-auto. I ruined it when I bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 mag, probably the most accurate gun I own, one hole groups. I took it coyote hunting last month but did not get a chance.

I just like the 22 mag. In a survival situation you could take anything from deer down with one. I read an article by one of the gun writers a few years ago. He was in Argentina or Brazil of some place in South America . I think he went to hunt birds. Anyway, he was allowed to hunt the place and went for a hike in the hills and borrowed a lever action Winchester in 22 mag for small game. Along the way he encountered a cougar and killed it with one shot. And my limited experience with it suggests it is will kill pretty well. I met an old native American man once who said he had killed over 100 deer with his Marlin bolt action 22 mag, and I have zero doubt it was true.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If I go that way, I will take a second look at the Savage.
.22 Long Rifle has been used with great reliability to poach Deer for well over One Hundred Years the key is Distance to the Animal 100 yards or less, Velocity of the Cartridge, and the Most important shot placement. The .22 Magnum vs 22 LR even with a cougar a poorly placed shot it would be sent it away wounded no matter .22 Magnum or .22 Long Rifle. I am a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator and have killed Feral Pigs 300-400 pounds with a single shot delivered to its head at a distance of 50 -100 Yards without a problem, Why do I use a .22 LR? Because other Domestic Farm animals are often close by and the .22 Lr will not pass thru and hit a Domestic Farm Animal Farm Equipment, Aircraft, Dwellings, Barns. My first Buck was taken when I was only eight years old with a Single Shot falling block stevens crack shot .22 SHORT, LONG, LONG RIFLE made in 1920 it was my Grandfather's rifle I was 30 Yards from the Buck and delivered a single shot into that deers eye ball dropping it dead as a stone this was my first buck it was an eight-point buck it's spread was 25 inches with eye tines measuring 18 inches about 205 Lbs after it was field dressed hanging on the cotton scale . At an early age, I had lots of respect for the .22 Long Rifle Cartridge. I have been called on to cull Deer in a Residential Neighbor Hood guess what I used? You Got it a.22 LR with night vision I had a culling permit to take 15 deer off this property within two weeks I had filled my Permit of 15 Deer they all were taken to the processor for processing and the meat went to the neighbors and to the local food banks to feed the needy. The Kills were clean ethical kills not one ran off they were all dropped in their tracks. Even the.17 Hmr would have also worked well-remembering Distance to the target animal, Velocity of the Cartridge, Most Important is shot placement. I even killed a Wild Boar of 50-75 pounds with a Benjamin Prowler .22 Caliber Pellet Rifle with a tiny .22 Caliber pellet of 14.3 Grains at about 750 -850 FPS at 25 Yards killed that wild Boar that walked out in front of me I place the shot 1/8" below its ear and dropped the Wild Boar in its tracks with a pellet rifle. I was waiting on a rabid Racoon when the Wild Boar walked in front of me at 25 yards and he went down with a 14.3 Grain pellet entering its brain. I came back the next evening and dispatched to rabid raccoon 20 feet in front of me with the pellet rifle.I used the Pellet rifle because I was in close proximity to other houses.So its not about the caliber its about the Distance to the target animal , Velocity of the round fps, Shot placement on the Animals Vitals is what does the job.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.