Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is no comparison between the two, but I also know that some Rossi revolvers were built on S&W patterns. I recently acquired a Rossi M68 and was wondering what would the S&W version/equivalent be. Anyone have any idea?

· Registered
4,263 Posts
I know there is no comparison between the two, but I also know that some Rossi revolvers were built on S&W patterns. I recently acquired a Rossi M68 and was wondering what would the S&W version/equivalent be. Anyone have any idea?
I know they were built on a J frame that was Machined on dies copied from the original SW J Frame dies. With some mods.Also Used by Taurus. Other then that I do not know.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
I don't think they'll be any 100% proof out until a reputable gunsmith takes measurements of frames and parts with machinist tools.
Something in detail that the MK1 eyeball can't do.

But really does it matter as long as decent QC is taken by these companies.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
they not only had the tooling they had some of the equipment straight from the factory when S&W upgraded.

I don't know model numbers from either company to say one way or the other but I got no problem buying older actual Rossi guns.
not a fan of any of them since Taurus goobered everything up.

· Registered
5,336 Posts
Smith 36?

· Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I knew that some Rossis were of better quality than others even though most were S&W copies. The one I have is a stainless M68, 2" barreled, actual Rossi manufactured in Sao Palo Brazil, with no Taurus or Braztech markings. I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

· Banned
754 Posts
I collect Smith and Wessons and have them back to 1905. A lot of pin barrel guns. That said i also have several Rossis some just ok, yet some as good as an SW ever made. An example, i have Stainless Model 971, 4 inch 357. That gun is the tightest you could possibly find and finished as much a a Python from the custom shop. The trigger in double action is the most perfect I have ever felt. I do my own triggers but do a have some custom trigger work on SWs, none can get there.

I have a model 68 and it is fine and i have a later one in 3 inch round butt, those are all J frames, 5 shot guns. I own identical old model SWs, same thing. The 3 inch Rossi was a cheapo black friday deal at academy. It is one of my house guns, slickest and tightest you will find.

Last i have one of those Rossi 442, snub nose 44 mag, 5 shot 3 inch. Love that gun, shoots as well as my model 29 SW and nearly as good as my 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk. They no longer make it but Taurus picked it up as the tracker. Excellant little guns. I often just leave my SWs in the safe and take the Rossi. I have a couple other rossis one in 22 that is nearly identical to my model 63 and both shoot about the same, but the SW is far better finished.

So, my opinion is that many Rossis are equivalent to the SWs. I have not seen any problems with wear and tear, but if I had any concern it would be that the steel might not be as good or last as long, but I have zero evidence to prove that, just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.