RPK info

Discussion in 'AK47' started by JC-75, Aug 18, 2010.

1. JC-75

JC-75 G&G Newbie

IOWA
    I'm planning on buying a RPK before the end of the year i'm pretty much looking at the ROMANIAN AES10-B HEAVY BARREL from Classic Arms. The one thing i don't like is the folding stock. With that said can i replace it easily or do i need to get a new rear trunnion to accept a fixed stock?

Second i was wondering what distance have you guys shot one and still able to hit a man size silhouette target with one. I'm not looking for a tack driver just something different and extremely fun to take to the range.

2. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

You can change stocks without changing trunions, the fixed stock will bolt right on.

IIRC isn't the maximum effective range of an AK about 400 yards?

3. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

^^ indeed.

I've heard tell that RPKs, given the heavier, longer barrel, can hit a man sized target at 500 yards. Now, that may take all 75 rounds on full auto :) but I tend to believe that figure.

4. JC-75

JC-75 G&G Newbie

IOWA
    Thanks for info you two. i had heard the same thing about the range as well. I just wanted to see if anyones actually done it. Thanks again.

5. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

I haven't actually gotten to do it because I've yet to find anyone willing to let me shoot at them, lol!

I've thought about using the human silhouette targets at long range but haven't done it yet.

6. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I'd have to look up the ballistic tables but it's fairly good until it comes down out of subsonic for the standard 123gr'ish weights.

Anything to boost M.V. will help.

7. BarryHalls

People look atcha kinda funny when you show up with people shaped targets for a rifle range :) I've been thinking about cardboard rectangles the size of a torso though.

8. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

I was going to do this at my friend's farm not a public range but ya I see your point.

Maybe if you wore Zombie Hunter patches and told everyone it was a training exercise you'd be okay at a public range..?

9. BarryHalls

You'd be better off in your Zombie Brigade dress uniform.

I think I'll just print out some life sized zombie targets.

10. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

"I'm the zombie Czar and I'm here to help!"

11. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Sorry for getting off topic there JC-75, we tend to do that here but it's all in fun.

12. JC-75

JC-75 G&G Newbie

IOWA
    That's okay i tend to do the same. I blame it on my ADD. The range i go to you will see a bunch of silhouette targets. Someone had some zombie one's last time i was there. This is the kinda range where people bring TV's and Computer towers too as well. before they put a fence up people used to bring out cars and shoot them up. LOL

Well i'm just gonna say F-it and pick that RPK up in a couple months here. The wait is gonna kill me!!!

13. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

There used to be a range like that here as well but it was closed a few years ago.

I know what you mean about the wait, I have a very nice Yugo RPK kit and I'm waiting for the funds to accumulate so I can have it built.

14. JC-75

JC-75 G&G Newbie

IOWA
    The Yugo ones do look real nice but the non chromed bore turns me off faster then seeing a hot chick with implant scars. LOL

15. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

I was less than thrilled about the non chromed bore as well but that's how they came so.. :indifferent:

A while back I was offered an AES-10 (light weight RPK) but it was so warped I don't know how it was able to function. I decided a non chromed bore wasn't so bad after all, lol!