close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rpk????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I posted a simaler ?? on the Cetme board..I just ordered my Cobray 9mm so Im picking out my next rifle. My inital choice is between an AK-47 and a Cetme...the info on the AK is oviously over flowing on the net so that was easy. I did see a simi auto RPK (7.62x39) RPK for sale by SOG and it got my attention...longer barrel little heaver made ect. Has anyone seen, shoot, owned one of these RPKs? With is the overall impression of them? Im looking for a fun rifle for plinking and target type shooting...oviously this will also fall under the catagory of if the S hits the fan gun as well...thank you.:nod: :assult:

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I checked SOG's website and couldn't find any RPK. Know where I could find it?
    The big issue with RPKs, is that there are many rifles out there called RPK, some of which do not deserve the title at all. The real RPK is a light machine gun that takes AK mags and is designed very similarly to the AK (and in fact takes a bit of knowledge to distinguish it.) Most of the semi-auto versions are something different.
    The kind to be most weary of is what's called the Hesse 47 RPK. Basically, they take a Saiga rifle, put in enough US parts to be legal for certain features, like pistol grip and double stack mags. What gives them the gall to call this an RPK? They put on the RPK style club buttstock. That's the only difference between it and their other converted Saigas. For any practical purpose, just get the regular Saiga convert, or even better, an SAR-1. Probably the same price. Best way to buy is to INSPECT either one first to see if it's what you really want.
    The distinguishing features of the RPK are thicker, more durable receiver, bigger trunion, and longer, more accurate barrel that can take more sustained fire than the AK. I believe the Norinco NHM-91 has the barrel and trunion, but a regular AK receiver. Might be wrong about the receiver. They used to be pretty cheap, $350ish, but now they're all over $400, especially after Klinton's latest stupid import ban.
    There's another model on www.interordnance.com called the RPK, which I'm inclined to think may be the most authentic, since they sell RPK parts kits on the same site. But the price is 700ish, and I doubt you want that.
    Finally, there's the VEPR and VEPR II, both of which are new commercial rifles based on the RPK type of receiver, but don't look like the RPK at all. They cost about $550 new, maybe your dealer can get you a good price on one. But from your previous posts, I tend to think you're looking for something that costs less. Also, I picked one up, and though the shape is very ergonomic, it is extremely barrel heavy. I think it's more of a benchrest gun for peacetime, and a position gun for when the SHTF.

How to tell the difference: The receiver of a Hesse RPK will likely say Hesse on it. It MAY or MAY NOT have the one piece Saiga style handguard. If it does, it's obvious what it is. If not, it still may be Hesse, just converted to the usual two piece handguard. If it's not Hesse, try to find out where it does come from. Ask. Maybe more knowledgeable guys will respond here.

Personally, I'd consider many other models myself.

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I get the SOG flyer..my FFL 03 is on file..does not give much info on it..just steel stamped reciever..accepts AK mags...

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

If you can, call and ask about it, especially who makes it. 9/10 chances are an SAR-1 is a better idea. For the price of a very accurate AK, you can buy an SAR-1 and an SKS.