Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the Mansfield, Ohio gun show yesterday. There was a new vendor there who was an RRA dealer. I was impressed with his offerings and his prices. I got a NM trigger for $90. He had a full LPK with the NM trigger and a soft grip pistol grip for $120, but I didn't need it all. Also picked up a small paper catalog from RRA with all kinds of dream toys in it. They make a gas piston pistol - no buffer tube sticking out the back - with a 7.5 inch barrel. It isn't what you'd call a concealed carry piece unless you're into wearing trench coats, but a full mag of 5.56 in a handgun is something to think about. Cost is around $1350 in the catalog. I don't know how much you could find a dealer selling it for, but that's in the Kimber/Dan Wesson 1911 price range. It's still bigger than a 1911, but not having the buffer tube makes it a whole lot handier.

They also show an AR based gun in a .458 SOCOM caliber. They sell just the uppers and say it works with any standard AR lower. Does anyone know just what that round might be? Then think about an AR gas piston pistol pushing a 45 caliber bullet.

I don't know if we've ever had a discussion about what would be better for the bedside anti-bad guy home defense gun - an AR pistol vs. any other handgun you want to name. It could be interesting, but not for this forum.

·
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a little web search on the .458 SOCOM. Wow! Those of you looking for more punch from your AR need to check it out. Bullets up to 600 grains if you want subsonic velocities, using your existing lower. 250 grainers pushing 2000 fps might get the attention of most anything.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I would be a little nervous shooting something that big out of an aluminum receiver. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Saw the pics of the piston pistol and it would make me smile ear to ear I'm sure. Funny thing, we can actually get them in CA if you put a fixed mag release button and a 0 round sled magazine (not reasonable or sensical, but it's legal).The .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster and the .50 Beowulf rounds sure are an interesting bunch, who could complain about a magazine full of thumpers! (okay, maybe only because it's $2 a shot, but still fun at least once).

Now if only they could get the price of an AR pistol closer to one of them DRACO AK pistols... we could get a party started!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Teach,

That .458 Socom is pretty close to 45/70 trapdoor velocities. The nice thing about that cartridge is you don't need any special magazine for it as you can use the standard 5.56 magazine. The only thing you need if you don't already have is a fixed buttstock as it will collapse adjustable buttstocks.
It operates at the same pressure as the .223 round so you are not over stressing anything. It is said to kick like a 20 guage with slugs.
It is a pretty popular cartridge in Indiana now that they changed the laws to allow certain pistol caliber carbine and a limited number of others that meet the OAL limit for deer hunting.

·
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of 20 - A fully loaded Browning autoloader or a Winchester 37 single shot? There is a noticeable difference if you have a shoulder you've been rehabbing for a year and half.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
What kind of 20 - A fully loaded Browning autoloader or a Winchester 37 single shot? There is a noticeable difference if you have a shoulder you've been rehabbing for a year and half.
As I have never shot one I can't answer that. There is a member on here who has one but I forget who it is. If you would like more information on the cartridge you could look on the 458socom forum. There is quite a bit of information there about it.

I have wanted one of these for several years now. When Obama was elected and the scare went into effect you couldn't find anything related to the cartridge whether it be uppers, ammo, reloading dies, or brass. What was available people wanted a small fortune for. I haven't looked into the availability of them now that things have settled down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts