Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my hands on the elusive Ruger #1 in .308. Used but really nice and well cared for. Trigger job and Hicks Acurizer (spell) Not exactly what I was looking for but will do for now. So far it is a tack driver. under 5/8” at 100 yds with off the shelf ammo.
It was set up for Hornaday 165. I shot Hornaday light magnums in 150 grain ballistic tips and it really stacked them. Not in the 10 ring but tight none the less. Really happy so far.
The problem is eye relief. I am having to lean way forward to get the whole picture. Very uncomfortable. I read about off set rings. I don’t know if they will give me what I need to justify the $75.00 price tag or if there is another route can take. (Other than cutting the stock off) Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks

·
Banned
623 Posts
I own two #1s and this is a very common "problem" with shooting this great rifle. depending on what you have as a scope, it might be just as easy to do as sell33 has said and get a scope with longer eye relief. I found, for me, a good compromise between sufficient eye relief and a scope that didn't appear too large for my tastes turned out to be 2 Leupolds, one a 4X on a 7x57 #1A, and the other a 2-7x33 on a #1RSI in .270. If yours is the #1B, or standard rifle, a larger scope should still look fine and Leupold's VXII 3-9 and 4-12 still have very good eye relief, as does a Zeiss Conquest (4"). Of course, offset rings may be a better choice for you. Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#1 Scope

Thanks,

It has a Zessi Conquest 3x9x40 on it now. It looks like it was just put on the gun. I maybe able to trade for one that you mentioned. By looking at the off set rings I don't thing 5/8" will make enough difference. I had my eyes checked (after not getting it done for 5 years the day after I requested your help. The eye Doc seems to think he can help out a bit by setting me up with 1. An updated set of specs 2. a pair of glasses just for shooting at not much cost. I have until the fall before and serious hunting starts going on out West. I got a little time to get it worked out.

Thanks for pointing out the options.

GOOD SHOOTING TO YA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts