Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking far and near for a new Ruger #1 in 308 starting in Dec. 07. No one seems to have them. Do they still make them? I have checked local dealers and searched the net. No luck. It is one of those things. You want it so bad you can taste it! but can't get your hands on it!!!:sad2:

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
walmart
able ammo
midwest hunters outlet
guns america
i have found them for sale all over the web

i got 414,000 hits when i typed it in.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I picked up this #1.

It isnt in the same caliber but it shoots very good.

Billy, Walmart Oh come on! :)

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I found one at gander the other day. One was ruger #1a and the other was #1B in 22-250. They are out there but you may need to have the fun ordered for you. Great guns!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
When I went to the ruger site they were there but they wouldnt give me info on the .308. sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
There wa a #1 in .308 on Gunbroker a while back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help!

I have checked the sites and Wall Mart. I had the same problem with the Ruger site. No info on the 308. Not that I would buy one from Wall Mart but they had no info either on the 308. The whole story is, my local gun shop has it on order. It is his distributor that seems to be dragging his feet. I got a really good deal on the gun and a Zeiss Conquest scope 3x9x40mm both for just a little under a grand. However, what good is the deal if you don’t get the merchandise? Thanks to you guys, I found several on the net. I’ll give em until about mid Feb. then go ahead and get it ordered.

Many thanks!

P.S

Slick gun Ouch! Them Rugers are just plain sexy?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Buy a used one in .30-06, have your gunsmith set back the barrel and re-chamber in .308. Cheaper than a new one, but the rib will have to go and you will have to drill and tap the barrel for a scope. I bought a #1 in .30-06 in like new condition last year at a pawn shop for $400. It had a Nikon scope.

Or just buy and shoot a .30-06. Anything a .308 will do, a .30-06 will do as well or better.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I just looked at one of mine and I dont think there is room to set the barrel back and drill and tap for the cantilever.Further,you would have to bore the freebore before you could use a .308 reamer.This sounds like a lot of gunsmithing.I could get a barrel in .308 stainless cheaper if I had to have .308. sam.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Not sure if you found the info you were looking for or if this will help. I have a feeling that you are looking for more info than what is on the site below. But below is a page from the ruger site. At least we know they still make them.
Ruger No. 1 Single Shot Rifles

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sam,

I don't think the rib would go back on. That is why I recommended drilling and tapping for scope mounts. I probably wasn't clear enough about that. I have a #3 with Weaver bases on the barrel that work just fine.

A new barrel might be a better bet, considering the uneven quality of Ruger barrels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts