close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger #1

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by Indy, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

Does anyone have any experience with a Ruger No. 1 rifle? I have an opportunity to buy a medium sporter in 300 win mag. I am interested in how the accuracy compares to a bolt gun.
    Thanks,
    Indy

2. I have a #1. It is more accurate than I am and as accurate as any of my bolt action rifles.

3. Forgot to mention. There is a chance of heat buildup under the forearm. Easiest way to alleviate this is to remove the forearm, use some form of bedding compound and apply a light coat to the forearm where it contacts the receiver extension. Wrap a double thickness of eletricians tape around the barrel near the front of the forearm (where it would contact the barrel). Coat the receiver extension and forearm screw with PAM or some other release agent. Tighten the forearm screw but don't bear down on it. Allow the bedding to dry. Remove the forearm, wipe off the PAM and oil the extension. Remove the tape and any adhesive left behind by the tape. Put the forearm back on, and tighten the forearm screw tight. Forearm should now be off of the barrel by a few thousandths and allow heat to escape from under it.

4. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

Thanks Mike for the information. I most likely will proceed with the purchase. It's interesting about the heat build up. I was wondering if the forearm touched the barrel. I have had several bolt guns bedded and one of the benefits is the allow for the gap between the stock and barrel.
    I will let you know how the #1 works out.
    Thanks again,]
    Indy

5. BTW mine started life as a .220 Swift. I had a friend re-barrel it in .260 Rem. #6 contour Douglas. What a sweetie she is.

6. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

It would seem re-barreling a #1 would be somewhat easier that a bolt gun. I really prefer a varmint or heavy barrel. I first thought a heavy barrel in 25-06 would be a better option. The 300 win mag I felt would be a better long range performer at the range.
    How do you like the 260 Rem? I have never fired one, but the friends that do think they are great. If you reload there is a terrific selection of projectiles.
    Indy

7. Problem with the #1 is the ejector slot that has to be milled into the breech area of the barrel. Bolt guns don't have this.
    The .260 (sometimes called the 6.5-.308) is like shooting the .264 Magnum without the bad recoil and noise. There are a lot of bullet weights availablle in the 6.5mm family. 87 grains up to 160 grains. I love mine.

8. steve ruscoe

steve ruscoe G&G Newbie

i own one in 45-70 and without doubt it;s at least as accurate as a bolt gun and in my opinion much better looking too:)

9. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

have three, 1v, 1rsi, 1ab, all are very accurate and fun to shoot, never really noticed a heat issue with any of mine. Though I did have trigger work done on all three to lighten up the pull. Oh and by the way they are a 220, 270, and 30-06.

10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I owned a 22swift in Ruger #1 and regret the day I had to sell it! I loved it. I could hit a rat in the butt at 300 yards with it and it fit like a glove. The only quirk I found was more with the cartridge than the rifle. My 220 would only shoot fresh ammo. Let the ammo sit a year and it would spray them all over the paper. But nothing fits me like a No. 1.

I think a dream gun would be one in 260 rem! I am jealous!

11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The most accurate, out of the box rifle I have ever owned was a Ruger#1 in 257 Roberts! That baby was a tack driver to be sure!!! I would love to have her back, but not the black widow - devils spawn that got her in my divorce!!!