Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 10-22 and have been experiencing problems with it.I've only shot about 50 rounds and have had several jams. Sometimes the shell doesn't eject properly and holds the bolt open, other times 2 rounds try to feed from the magazine. I'm thinking it doesn't like the ammo. I'm using Federal Champion 525 value pack.Anyone recommend a different ammo or is it another problem? Thanks

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I would try taking it down, cleaning it, and giving it a very light coat of oil. Maybe clean the magazine at the same time, just be sure to wind it to the correct tension. That 10/22 should feed anything you give it

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I have a new 10-22 and have been experiencing problems with it.I've only shot about 50 rounds and have had several jams. Sometimes the shell doesn't eject properly and holds the bolt open, other times 2 rounds try to feed from the magazine. I'm thinking it doesn't like the ammo. I'm using Federal Champion 525 value pack.Anyone recommend a different ammo or is it another problem? Thanks
Mine feeds anything. I'd have to try hard to make it jamb. I think you may have a mechanical problem but eliminate the possibility of dirt and give it another try.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
After a mere 50 rds. the magazine should not be malfunctioning. Factory rotary magazines are pretty reliable. I find with mine that it needs high velocity ammunition to cycle the automatic action. Also, once it gets warm, it needs copper-coated bullets to avoid being deformed on the heated ramp.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Cleaning

Sometimes guns arrive with "packing grease" that can
cause problems especially with a semi-auto .22.

I advise removing the stock then giving the entire
gun as thorough a cleaning as possible with a good
firearms grease remover (not an industrial solvent that
will ruin the finish). A gunsmith or quality sporting goods
store can refer you to a proper grease remover available
either in their store or in your area. Then wipe clean followed
by a bit of lubrication with a light oil such as 3-in-1.

Perhaps this will take care of your problem. It has been
successful for others. Ruger has a good reputation
for quality so, while it could occur, it is not likely you
have a defective component.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very nice video and step by step instructions.

I've been told ruger is a good gun. Sounds like I need to clean it and go from there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
well your problem is that you have a ruger just kidding :scool: i just dont like the 10/22 just dont seems overprice and cheaply made

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What???^^^^ lol i don't know anyone that doesn't like the 10/22....i love mine although it also jams every once in a while, usually only with my hi cap magazine tho. the factory one seems to work fine and i have never cleaned it (maybe i should lol)

·
Registered
294 Posts
What???^^^^ lol i don't know anyone that doesn't like the 10/22....i love mine although it also jams every once in a while, usually only with my hi cap magazine tho. the factory one seems to work fine and i have never cleaned it (maybe i should lol)

yes i dont like em in their stock form but if they are heavly upgraded i think i woul get one but maybe i looked at one when i got my Marlin model 60 SB and it had a thumbhole stock and heavy barrel and a scope on it, it fit perfect and i liked it but the price tag was like $550 and that was way out of my budget my marlin cost me 199.99. i dont realy like the Rugers but if i ever get a 22 pistol i will be a Ruger cuzz i like them

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never had any jamming of my 10/22 with the factory clip until i used the federal bulk ammo, anything else shot fine

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Very nice video and step by step instructions.

I've been told ruger is a good gun. Sounds like I need to clean it and go from there.
I have has two Ruger 10/22's since 1988... and other performed flawlessly, even while VERY dirty.

To me, it sounds as if there is an ammo/magazine marriage fault.

Generally, it is the after market magazines that fail. Check with Ruger to see if they have a recall on newly manufactured magazines too.

To cause a "double feed", it truly sounds like the magazine as the recoil is not enough to be a potential cause.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I do have 1 bad Ruger manufacture 10 rd magazine. The plastic is a little off, so it sits in the magazine well wrong. You can see it is not flush with the bottom of the receiver; it goes in a touch too far. This thing will cause all kinds of feeding problems. Could be a bad magazine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts