Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started off with a 10/22 in my younger years. I still have the gun with me today. This is a great gun for beginning shooters.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Yup, light recoil, cheap to shoot, excellent gun for beginners.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
and still fun! there not just for kids !:09:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
My Ruger 96 and I have a poppings good time and 22's jus ain't fer kids fer sure....
:usa2:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
Mine is the "WalMart Special" 'rifle' with the longer barrel and rifle-style stock - fits me better than the carbine. Totally stock after a number of years - except for polished trigger group and the Pentel trigger spring trick. That stiff 'Lawyer Trigger' just HAD to go!
I don't even have any hi-cap magazines! Don't need them for a good basic twentytwo rifle. :)

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Yeah, I have a 10/22 that a friend gave me. It's pretty neat, but I've dropped way too much money into it. I coulda had a nice .22 bolt for what I've spent on it. Oh well, it's fun!

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Yeah, I have a 10/22 that a friend gave me. It's pretty neat, but I've dropped way too much money into it. I coulda had a nice .22 bolt for what I've spent on it. Oh well, it's fun!
oooh boy does THAT sound familiar. for some inane reason i bought 2 of em within a week bull barrels all that jazz. threw money at em for awhile , sobered up and sold one then bought a bolt with the proceeds:)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
ive got 2 of those little money pits. they are fun rifles. if your like me though, and cant leave things "stock", they get spendy!

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
ive got 2 of those little money pits. they are fun rifles. if your like me though, and cant leave things "stock", they get spendy!
oh yes! 1st. a shilen bbl. then oh well JUST GOTTA HAVE A NEW TRIGGER GROUP!and then... and then.... i kept the receiver and stock tho.......

10 shots @25 yds.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I disagree that a 10/22 is for beginners. I think beginners think it's a beginners gun but no matter how long you've been a squirrel hunter it is a treat to use a 10/22. It is just a fun gun to shoot. It's one of the great mechanical designs of the 20th century. I can't see Ruger ever dropping that model.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
its a good beginner gun because its inexpensive ,and as you noted zen900 its bombproof design.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Hey nice 10/22 Billy. I'll have to dig mine out and take a pic. Also would like to make clear a 10/22 is not a beginners gun. It is a good gun for beginners.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
And to imagine, it's one of the ones listed on the HR 1022 ban list because it has a 10rd mag. What a load of crap that is.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
i should take mine out.
i havent fired it in a long time.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I love my 10/22! It's what I and three of my brothers started out with! It's still my favorite to shoot because I can still buy 550rds for under $13 from wally world. And of course there's the modibility factor. I don't know if I'll ever buy a better barrel, but I do want a couple things to improve it like see through rings so I can use the irons.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Now you guys have me wanting to shoot my 10/22. It is a stainless rifle version that is longer than most carbines. I got it as a gift 6 years ago and just stopped shooting rimfire. So, it is still sitting in the box. Heck, I haven't even put a magazine in it! I keep trying to decide whether to shoot it or let it stay NIB. It is a K10/22 rifle version. No barrel band. Longer barrel. They sold them a Wally world a while back but I guess they didn't sell many of them. I sure don't see many people with them.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
A Ruger 10/22 was my very first gun I purchased when I turned 18. The only change I ever made to the original rifle was to put a Bushnell Sportview 3 x 9 on it. It has been incredibly reliable and also an excellent rifle to learn the basic fundamentals of shooting with.

This is simply not just a gun for beginners, it is very fun to shoot as well as being inexpensive.

I still have it to this day... and I'm 37. It has gained new life and continued use by my wife... she loves it too.

Now you guys have me wanting to shoot my 10/22. It is a stainless rifle version that is longer than most carbines. I got it as a gift 6 years ago and just stopped shooting rimfire. So, it is still sitting in the box. Heck, I haven't even put a magazine in it! I keep trying to decide whether to shoot it or let it stay NIB. It is a K10/22 rifle version. No barrel band. Longer barrel. They sold them a Wally world a while back but I guess they didn't sell many of them. I sure don't see many people with them.
Heck, you've gotta shoot that. A longer barrel without the barrel band is a good combination for accuracy. Put a scope on that with some good .22lr ammo and you've got a tack driver.

If you ever consider selling, let me know!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Gotta love em, beginner or no. I just have a stock carbine and i shoot it all the time. Just put about 200 rnds through it yesterday, boy was that fun:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts