Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Big Dog's advice, I am planning to get rid of my Winchester 290 and buy a new .22 semi-auto rifle. I am torn between two: the Marlin 60SSK and the Ruger 10/22 with stainless steel barrel. I am leaning towards the Marlin for several reasons:

1. Price; Marlin is about $40.00 cheaper
2. Size and weight; Marlin is smaller and lighter
3. Capacity and ease of loading; 14 round tube feed on the Marlin vs 10 round magazine on the Ruger
4. The Marlin SSK has a composite stock vs wood on the Ruger

But the bottom line is quality, dependability and accuracy. Is there a great enough difference in these two guns to warrant putting my preferences
aside and buying the Ruger? Is there any other make/model in the $200.00 range that I should consider before making a final decision?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
They're both great guns, about equal in quality, reliability and accuracy. The Ruger is easily customized and you can buy extra mags for it. Go with the one you like best. you won't be disappointed either way.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If you don't plan on stocking up on mags for the Ruger, the tube fed Marlin will feed faster and with less pain.

If you want to customize, a 10-22 is the better idea, ie if you want a target stock, etc.

·
Registered
781 Posts
dr_jpeg said:
4. The Marlin SSK has a composite stock vs wood on the Ruger
I bought the All-Weather 10/22. It's stainless and plastic.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,016 Posts
Yep, it boils down to personal preference. I like my Marlin 60SB, but I like the Ruger 10-22 Rifle even better. Both a accurate and reliable. :cool:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Both rifles have 22lr legendary status now. They both wouldn't still be around if they weren't 2 smart/reliable, and accurate rifles. Like everyone else said, if you want to customize later down the road, if you are an avid shooter and shoot a lot, you probably will, then go with a 10/22.
But if you are just needing a great plinker and nice little hunting 22, the Marlin is an excellent choice.
If you want a semi-auto 22 on a budget (around $100 at Walmart), Savage also has a nice little one:
http://www.savagearms.com/64g.htm

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,016 Posts
You can get the Marlin with the detachable box magazine - the Models 795 and 7000. The 7000 has the heavy barrel, and is legendary among Marlin owners for it's accuracy.
No hi-caps made recently, though sometimes you can find the old ones on ebay - held 25 rounds, IIRC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
10/22 has been the platform for some of the most accurate rimfires in the world. Great as-is, and a vast array of aftermarket accessories, many of which you can perform yourself. I switched out my butler creek folding stock adn banana clips for a heavy barrel and Hogue stock, and it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Johan Malan said:
You can get Banana clips for the 10/22 think they take 30 rounds
I have 25 and 50 rd mags for my 10/22. Don't forget the loader to. I can fill the 50's in about 1.5min. I'm a ammo wastin fool now.

L

·
0 Posts
I put a Marlin 60 Stainless on layaway :right: it is old, ugly, beat up and priced right

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have both. As previously said, both are great guns. I would give the marlin a slight edge in out of the box acuracy. But, the 10/22 will give you a lot more long-term alternatives. I just converted a standard 10/22 into a fine bull barrel target rifle. They (10/22) are very easy to disassemble and customize. If I had to pick just one, I would pick the 10/22.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm going to customize the Marlin..bead blast the scratches off..add a Marlin laminated stock..instead of the birch stock..maybe a trigger job and maybe even a Bushnell Holosight

The Bushnell® HOLOsight® by Eotech

New 500 Series HDS

NEW 500 Series
The Bushnell® HOLOsight®: a revolutionary breakthrough in optical sighting technology. We borrowed fighter jet technology to build the world's first holographic gunsight that delivers unparalleled performance. What this means to any shooter is lightening quick reticle-to-target acquisition and improved accuracy. The result -- better shooting performance.

The use of holographic technology allows the creation of virtually any image as a reticle pattern, in either 2 or 3 dimensions. Shooter input has resulted in a wide variety of reticle patterns for different shooting disciplines. As there is no light cast on the target, use of the HOLOsight is completely legal in most hunting, target, and competition areas.

Beginners and pros alike will benefit from:

* Lightning quick reticle-to-target acquisition.
* Critical window placement that provides constant viewing of reticle during recoil.
* Field interchangeable reticle for specific shooting situations.
* Brightness intensity eliminates reticle washout even on white targets in full sun.

Unlike other electronic sighting systems, the HOLOsight emits no position-revealing light and ensures that you remain absolutely undetectable, even against night vision systems (when used in conjunction with the provided low light filter). With its ability to mount on virtually any tactical weapon system, the HOLOsight is ideal for tactical environments, such as building entry, perimeter surveillance, and hostage rescue situations.

The HOLOsight enables the use of peripheral vision to maintain target hold in multi-assailant situations. With the reticle pattern fixed on the primary target, the shooter can simultaneously scan the developing scene and maintain initial target hold (with full peripheral vision). The result is unprecedented control of the strategic environment.

The HOLOsight has been designed to withstand the rigorous demands that today's top tactical teams require of their equipment. Field-tested in numerous environmental conditions, the HOLOsight withstands the punishing treatment common to tactical use. Additional protection from the elements and abuse is provided by a detachable ruggedized hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts