Ruger 10/22 Trigger Job

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by twisterx44, May 6, 2008.

1. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

Hey, I've been thinking about finally modding my 10/22 a little bit. I have it with a pistol-grip folding synthetic stock, and a nice little 3-9X40mm Simmons. I noticed the stock has a bipod stud, and have been seriously considering getting a bipod, bull barrel, and new trigger. I think the most important would be the trigger; i HATE the stock trigger on my 10/22. Aroundh How much would a new trigger cost me? Can I order one and install it myself easily or is it a job for a gunsmith? I really don't know much about trigger groups, I just know I could really use a new one :)

Also, if people have reccomendations for a bull barrel under 120 preferably, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I just want as much info as possible to decide what I really wanna do to this rifle.

Just as a side note, I've been looking at the standard 9-13" harris bipod.

2. alaskamonte

alaskamonte Suspended

<% TITLE %>

I hear the Volqquartens are on sale at Midway......about $30.00

3. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

thats a hammer though, not a trigger, right?

4. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Volquartsen

twisterx44: Sir; "Volquartsen" is the answer. @Midway; you can get a KIT, for the 10/22. Mostly the 'sear' is what you're after to ?improve? triggering feel
    Too, part of the 'Volquartsen' kit comes with a 'trigger' that can adjust most of the over travel.
    By mentioning the ?upgrade" barrel is my thinking; with ?trigger?

Now on the other hand: yes you can order the "TRIGGER" alone. Don't see why.
    Your stock trigger [thing you pull] can be filed, sanded, ground, in many different configurations.

Help out with your thoughts. Thanks

5. Two fixes I recommend

Get with a gunsmith to determine which replacement trigger on the aftermarket would best fit your needs.

After installing the new trigger mechanism have the entire gun glass bedded.

Of course, you can go much farther but this two moves will go a long
    way.

6. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

I honestly would prefer not to have to do my own gunsmithing. I'm not very good at those types of projects, I'm kind of clumsy I guess. I don't need to get my stock glass bedded, I think for ME thats overkill, but I think this Volquartsen sounds good. So I order it, and can have a gunsmith install it to my liking? It includes a better/adjustable weight trigger?

7. neophyte

Ruger 10/22

twisterx44: Sir, the addition [Volquartsen] to your 10/22 will be good. Taking the 'take-up' and 'overtravel' out is good:)
    Yes; your gunsmith can replace or add the parts as needed. It is not a hard job.
    Your primary improvement is with the 'sear'; cleaner break, sharper reset.
    Read the instructions and just maybe you see that you might be able to do this.
    Follow up as you go along:) Thanks

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    for a decent trigger pull, all you need is either a volquartsen or power custom HAMMER. the aftermarket hammer will net you the biggest bang for the buck. a new trigger wont get you anything, and the sear will net you minimal gains. you can spend from 0$ to several hundred $$$ on a 10/22's "trigger", but the best buy is a new hammer.

9. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

Alright, I will look into that. I'm still confused as to what the 'sear' is. I just hate how my trigger pull feels. There is a pin behind the trigger that gets depressed which i believe releases the hammer. It just feels squeeky and almost fake.

Is this the kit you guys were talking about?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=141815

Also, what about a barrel? Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    thats your trigger return spring, and plunger. doesnt do anything other than push the trigger forward.

11. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

so which kit was i reccomended?

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you dont need a "kit", just a new hammer. choose from volquartsen or power custom, they both work well.

13. alaskamonte

alaskamonte Suspended

No-

Did you even read my LINK?

The drop in hammer reduces YOUR trigger pull weight to a tad over TWO pounds!

Why am I GOOGLING For YOU?

14. neophyte

Volquartsen

twisterx44: Sir; go to Rugers site. Find "Product Service" find 'parts booklet' and follow to the 10/22
    Part #B-23 is the 'sear': B-17A is the hammer

Sear, directly control the "hammer". Properly fitted, drag is "removed?

It takes smooth or properly fitting of both. One without the other? can? reduce the mean?

There is a combination of parts that interact, Target or Refined shooting requires all parts of the ?whole?.
    Trigger up-grades generally give the greater bang for the buck

alaskamonte: found you a good ?Kit? Look at it 'high lighted' use Rugers parts booklet and you can identify all by Rugers names

Follow up when you can. Thanks

15. This is the starting point, a aftermarket hammer, or better yet a hammer and adjustable sear kit. The adjustable sear is for eliminating trigger creep, the hammer well reduce the trigger pull weight. Polish the trigger return plunger and plunger hole, cut 1/2 coil off the return spring, this well further reduce trigger pull weight. You can drill and tap your trigger for a trigger stop, you use a set screw. Using a hammer/sear kit, a dremel tool to polish as required, you can get the trigger pull down to a pound and ahalf or so with no creep. If you really want to try this DIY project, PM me and I well send you a .pdf that shows how to do much of the work.

16. neophyte

Ruger 10/22

madcratebuilder: Sir; well said. I made no DYI because he suggested limited ability's. I'm glad you did.

twisterx44: Sir, the "madcratebuilder" has all the info you'll need. This aint too hard for the average.

Should you want to Pay for the updating,Volquartsen has done all the work.
    Anything can be improved on, with VQ. that is limited.

17. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

Yes, I did read your link. You don't need to be rude. I have been googling on my own, don't worry. Midway is out of those hammers, I'll just wait for them to come back in stock and see if I can install it myself. If I'm satisfied with my trigger, I'll stop there and move on to the barrel. If not, I may in deed want that .pdf madcratebuilder, so thank you for the offer.

I need to look into whether or not the folding stock I has can even fit the wider bull barrels. Nobody answered about those, I'm not sure whether that means you think they aren't worth the money, or you just don't know of any good ones (find that second choice hard to believe), or if just about any 120.00 barrel will serve me decently.

thanks to all the help so far.

18. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
  19. twisterx44

twisterx44 G&G Newbie

thanks lefty-o, will do

20. sirptrk

sirptrk Guest

I purchased the stock and 20" Match grade Bull barrel that is in this link and am more than satisfied, it really improved my grouping size as well as added some heft to the gun which helps me keep in on target when shooting fast groups. The barrel was a piece of cake to install and took about 10 minutes to due. I really like the Houge overmolded stock also, even though you arent looking for a stock. The barrel is a Clerke and it is only 89.00 by its self. Good luck and happy shooting. 10/22 Barrels & Stocks The Harris bypod is a good ides also, I have one and love it.

By the way you Arkie guy's I used to live out side of Bella Vista and worked at a tool & die shop in Rogers Arkansas.

Last edited: May 13, 2008