Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys like I said I realy want a new .22 LR, because my old one broke and, I just love sittin' in my feild shootin' at cans and paper targets. The .22 LR is perfect for target shootin' because ammo is realy cheap 10 dollars for 550 rounds at wallyworld! But i wanted my new one to be an accurate, reliable rifle, So the 2 I found are the marlin model 60 and the ruger 10/22. They are both great guns to shoot. So I checked with my local walmart and the ruger 10/22 cost 204.95, but the marlin model 60 only cost 134.95. Thats a 70 dollar difference. Now i am wondering if yall think the 10/22 is worth 70 dollars more than the model 60. I love both guns, i am just curious what your opinions are on this,Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
to me no, and that is cuzz i just dont really like the rugers they seem to be overpriced and cheaply made compared to the 60, compare the 60 and the ruger together you will notice that the ruger has a lighter action than the 60
the ruger is easyer to clean but i may be wrong. i have no problem cleaning my marlin when you take the marlin apart the trigger assembly comes out in one big block and just take some birchwood casey gun scrubber and spray it out and that cleans that good enough,just take the bolt out and and spray and wipe it down spray out the reciver and wipe it out and oil the inside of the reciver and put it back together

the marlin does have more out of the box accuracy than the ruger but the ruger can be heavily customised and the marlin does have a heavy trigger like 9 lbs not sure about the rugers trigger

but i would recomend the marlin, the marlin and the ruger are both good guns

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'd say go with the Ruger, it's a good gun for the money. And shop around, I just saw a NIB Ruger 10/22 for $175 at a local sporting goods store, and I know you can buy used for about $125.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Well . . . its the 10/22

I think I would go for the Ruger but for a reason you might not suspect.
The 10/22 has a phenominal number of aftermarket products available for upgrading.

You can use it as Ruger produces it which is a very successful
gun in its own right or just customize to your heart's content.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
rugar is a very very good maker and look pretty good if it was me i would go with the cheaper one but you will be quarenteed a good gun with a ruger.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I have a Ruger so I'm biased. lol I will say in reply to the above, the Ruger action is NOT light. That thing is made very well! It's very reliable to. I'm sure the Marlin is as well, I just have never had one so I can't say. The Ruger does have more potential though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well i would vote ruger, BUT i know 3 people that hvae the model 60 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, my cousin have a stainless model that is very nice. On the other hand if you ever decided you want to customize your 22 you have the base for it with the 22 there are a million mods out there for them.....i want this for mine....

Cabela's -- Tapco M4 Ruger 10/22® Stock

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a ruger and have been pleased with it. Besides the performance and the countless upgrades available, i think the ruger is a better looking gun too.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
My friend has one of those marlin model 60's and every time we have taken it to the range we have almost never been able to get through 10 rounds of ammo before one of them jammed. It may just need an adjustment but it is not really a good quality gun.

just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My friend has one of those marlin model 60's and every time we have taken it to the range we have almost never been able to get through 10 rounds of ammo before one of them jammed. It may just need an adjustment but it is not really a good quality gun.

just my two cents worth.
did you try differnt ammo? and welcome to G&G!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
The ruger 10/22 is what ever other .22cal rifle wants to be. LOL

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i have both guns, the ruger is by far the best , BUT,BUT the marlin is my favorite one to shoot. another thing is the ruger's mag only holds 10 .22lrs while the marlin tube mag. holds 15 .22lrs

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
i have both guns, the ruger is by far the best , BUT,BUT the marlin is my favorite one to shoot. another thing is the ruger's mag only holds 10 .22lrs while the marlin tube mag. holds 15 .22lrs
high cap mags for the 10/22 are cheap and can be found EVERYwhere!

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
:hitwithrock:i know YOU know that!! but didnt want anyone else, like the person asking the question to get confused and think that they cant get more than 10 shots out of a 10/22.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Never had a Marlin but I have read many glowing reviews of them. I do have a Ruger 10/22 and other Rugers. LOVE them and thier customer service. They are some of the most relaible and best built firearms on the market. As others have mentioned, the aftermarket world has an astounding collection of mods/upgrades available for the 10/22, that in itself, says alot about the Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i never said meant that the rugers action was bad i ment that it had a lighter spring than the marlin just a observation

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think I would go for the Ruger but for a reason you might not suspect.
The 10/22 has a phenominal number of aftermarket products available for upgrading.

You can use it as Ruger produces it which is a very successful
gun in its own right or just customize to your heart's content.
+1
The aftermarket support is great, you can make a 10/22 in to anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts