Ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Dannyboy53, May 30, 2020.

1. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 G&G Evangelist

Today I found a Ruger carbine at a flea market, for sell by a well known gun dealer. I got it with the Bushnell scope for $200. Haven't fired it yet but it's clean as a whistle and the optics are clear. I'm gonna get a sling for it but first I will try it out in the pasture tomorrow. I know next to nothing about the 10/22 so any input is welcome!
    20200530_212717.jpg

K75RT, BigEd63, EtherialOne and 4 others like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Congrats
    Mine was a Christmas present from my sons first Christmas 31 years ago

there are a lot of aftermarket things that can be done to them. I’ve put in a new hammer and buffer pin. Have left it mostly stock.

they are fun shooters, reasonably accurate. If you keep it clean and lightly lubed it will do well for a long time.

3. Dannyboy53

Thanks Jerry, I'm hoping to get to try it out tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it does.

K75RT, jerry and Jaison like this.
  4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

About the most popular .22 ever. Got a nice wood stock too. Don't know if your scope is a Banner or XLT Bushnell but not bad at all for the money. Got a Bushnell XLT on my Rem. 700 and has held zero for years. First one I had was walnut and made in 1966. Fast and light to carry too.

K75RT, jwrauch, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dannyboy53

Thanks mauser9. How does one get the year of manufacture? By the way, my scope is a Bushnell Sportview 3-9.
    I really like the stock, I'm really impressed with how light and handy the carbine is!

K75RT, mauser9, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  6. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    You can buy spare magazines and even drums for the 1022, that hold up to 110 rounds, yep, 110. There were older magazines out there with plastic feed lips, the little part on each side of where the bullets come out of the magazine. They commonly had problems, so just buy Ruger brand or pass on any used ones. The 15 round magazine that was designed for the pistol version, the charger is a nice size and still legal in states that ban the over 20 mags. The 25 round mags are fine for the range. I shoot mine suppressed and can fire off several rounds fast and I have never had a jam, except with an aftermarket mag with plastic feed lips.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=1022+magazines
    Lots of nice replacement stocks if you want to make it look different, they have them from bizzare to like an M1 carbine. Or just leave it as it is, mine works great for 30 years now.
    Enjoy.

K75RT, BigEd63, EtherialOne and 3 others like this.
  7. Dannyboy53

Thank you for the link and info OSK, I intend to keep a spare or two around.

K75RT likes this.
  8. jerry

USA
    I have a book somewhere downstairs I think for dates. When I get a gallon of coffee in me this morning I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

K75RT and Dannyboy53 like this.
  9. jerry

USA
    Dannyboy53 likes this.
  10. chris l2018

chris l2018 G&G Evangelist

UK
    Supremely viable.

One of the very few rifles that are fairly easy to get hold of over here, and very popular as a consequence

Enjoy

11. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Is the 10/22 popular as a ratting/vermin gun over there?

12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Go by the serial nos. online.I just typed in Ruger 10/22 manufacture dates on Google. Hopefully the clarity of your scope is decent enough and I would test fire the gun before I replaced it. Scope sounds better than the Pursuit model I had on my Ruger American. Replaced it with a Vortex 2x7-32 for better glass and focus. Good luck with this classic from Ruger.

13. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I think you got hosed! I only paid $74.00 for mine and it was brand new!

I'm just kidding. I bought mine in 1972 for that price.
    One nice thing about the Ruger 10/22 in these days - you can buy virtually every part there is in that gun, and you can customize it all you want (or are legally allowed to)
    Mine has been left as is although today it has all kinds of dings in the stock and bluing on the barrel is pretty worn. Still, I have had to replace only the extractor and spring to keep it shooting like new.
    I cannot count how many different people have tried mine out, and I cannot count how many brick of ammo has been fired through it.

Yours will serve you well.

K75RT, rando, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  14. Dannyboy53

Thanks Jerry, I just tried it and got the message that the utility is down for maintenance!

K75RT and jerry like this.
  15. Dannyboy53

Wow, thanks Sir. This one doesn't look very old or someone has taken very good care of it through the years.
    I watched some videos about them last night, I like the bolt hold-open feature. I'm not aware of any other semi-auto Rim fire that has this. Sort of reminds me of the safety on the M1 Garand!

K75RT likes this.
  16. jerry

USA
    I’m sorry
    I’ll look for my book.

K75RT likes this.
  17. Dannyboy53

I'll check back with them Jerry, no need for you to go to that trouble. I am grateful for your willingness to help!

K75RT and jerry like this.
  18. reverendg

reverendg G&G Evangelist

The last round hold open is nice, but to do that you also need to use special magazines.
    The 10/22 is a lot of fun. Kind of like Lay’s potato chips, you can’t have just one.

19. jerry

USA
    My book has history up till ,84 it is a very good book and I’m hoping they have updated it through the years.
    IMG_5989.jpg

20. jerry

USA
    I’m sure this is wrong. I don’t see my little book being worth 300 bucks lol IMG_5990.jpg