Ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Dannyboy53, May 30, 2020.

1. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

If you fit the 1022 action into a Thompson style stock, the drum would look neat.

Dannyboy53, Ten Man and Jaison like this.
  2. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Somebody does or did make one that looked like a Thompson. https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2010/10/26/scottwerx-ruger-1022-tommy-gun-kit/

I have a takedown Charger also, that comes with the little bi-pod. It takes the 15 round magazine. I am wondering if that 110 round mag would be short enough to sit on a table in the Charger? If yes, I may buy one. That would be the perfect gun for scaring crows out of the garden... or maybe detering rioters wandering past my no trespassing signs. Maybe 25-30 warning shots> that is a joke people.

Dannyboy53 and neophyte like this.

3. reverendg

reverendg G&G Evangelist

The guy who made the tommy gun has shut down production, I think there was just not enough margin in it for the time involved.

Jack Ryan and OneShotKill like this.
  4. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    a 10/22 was my first gun ever and still one of my favorite. back before they had the take down models. its the all weather model with synthetic stock and stainless bead blasted barrel. its been through all sorts of iterations, from stock to tacticool to bench gun and back to stock. I now like it just how it came from the factory, super light and handy, quite accurate even with just the standard "iron" sights. its not even too picky on ammo, shoots most modern .22lr well. is a bit picky on mags, i think the ruger branded mags are the best.

stock up on .22lr, it'll eat 'em up quick!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  5. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

100 yards or less I am sure 22 (especially hollow points ) to the knees would leave them out of combat mode. :D

6. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    True. Don’t need to kill them, just take them out of the fight and get 2 or 3 of their buddies to care for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

7. OneShotKill

Oklahoma
    I was never a 10/22 addict, although I have had one about 40 years. I also got one of the first take down chargers to hit the market. Then I finally got into suppressors and the 10/22 suddenly was exciting. With the suppressor on you can rack off 15-20 rounds at say crows in a garden and they have no clue what's happening. Same thing with a snake in a pond. I have always been one to never fire a round until all was perfect, a one shot kill. Most deer seasons in my adult life I fire 1 or 2 or 3 shots, 1 or 2 or 3 deer, antelope, etc . But with the 10/22 and a suppressor, no hearing protection needed, no one is bothered, let her rip. I do not shoot animals that I do not eat, except snakes and turtles who over take farm ponds.

I cannot ever remember a failure to fire with the 10/22 except ammo related. My 2 cents.

Dannyboy53 and MosinRuger like this.
  8. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Agreed.

Mild detour, OneShot-

Are these snapping turtles? Have you ever eaten them? It's a personal thing, but I find them incredible. Really nothing like breaded, fried snapping turtle. Might be worth a shot sometime.

9. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado

If they're anything like fried gator tail then they'll be delicious!

Dannyboy53, OneShotKill and Jaison like this.
  10. OneShotKill

Oklahoma
    They taste like spotted owls, right? No we do not eat them. Our kids have 4 ponds and the snakes and turtles are wiping out the fish, last year we cut open one snake and it had 2 fish in it each about 8 inches long. I thought they just ate one at a time? Get hungry eat a fish? Guess not. We are just trying to save the fish.

It is illegal to kill the alligator snapping turtles in Oklahoma. Here is one 4 feet long. https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/oklahoma-fishermen-catch-behemoth-alligator-snapping-turtle

Dannyboy53 and Jaison like this.
  11. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 G&G Evangelist

Yes sir, to each their own but I can't see me totin' be of those around!

12. Dannyboy53

jerry likes this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

An interesting thread, with lots of excellent information.

One point seems to have been overlooked, and the OP wants to know about the Ruger 10/22.

The best AMMO for you to use in the Ruger 10/22 MAY or MAY not be the same as what you use in other .22LR firearms.

Each Ruger 10/22 has it's own "favorite" ammo that functions well, shoots well, is reasonably accurate, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

"New to Ruger 10/22" users will need to do some experimenting with several different .22LR ammunition brands, bullet weights, and configurations (i.e. plated, lead, round nose, hollow point, etc.) to find out what ammo works best for THEIR Ruger 10/22.

The Ruger 10/22 is the VW of long arms, and is a great deal of fun, coupled with a great degree of utility, as well. On top of that, it is "Supremely viable!" LOL!!

Please Note! The "favorite ammo" of your 10/22 may change over time. That is "normal" due to changes in ammo manufacturing, AND the wear-in of the rifle, itself.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Ruger Firearms, or have any connection with them, other than being a customer.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    EtherialOne, jerry, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  14. This is my Ruger 10/22 it now sports the Israeli made FAB DEFENSE Ruger 10/22 stock now in use with the IDF , a 20" ER Shaw factory tapered barrel free floating , a Ruger BX Match Grade drop in trigger 2.5 pounds , SightMark Wraith HD DIGITAL 4X 32X 50MM Day / Night vision scope. I use the Fastest most accurate 40 grain copper platted hollow point on the market the CCI Velocitor . At 50 yards to 100 yards over bait I have taken several Feral Hogs and Coyotes with just one shot , precision head shots are no problem as well as follow up shots to other targets due to the Low Recoil ,Low Muzzle Blast & Flash of the .22 LR rimfire ammo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

I bought a Butler Creek 25 round mag for mine. What I have found is that 22HP's will not feed from that mag. Other stuff does with no problem.

16. Sorry to hear you have a problem try another brand of .22 LR hollow point I use the CCI 40 grain copper plated hollow point Velocitor it feeds well and I have never had a problem , Its the fastest most accurate 40 grain on the market. I have a Butler Creek ,BX 25 RUGER , Champion 25 but I favor the factory 10 round magazine because it's flush fit and it don't snag on the bench , ground , tree stand shooting rest ,ground blind tripod ect. other than snagging I have never had a problem with the 25 round mags.

Ten Man likes this.
  17. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    The BX was the best thing to happen to high cap mags for the 10-22. Used to use the butlers and a couple other brands. They never lasted and we’re the only feed issues I had with 10-22. I also prefer the 10 round mag. It’s easy to keep a few in your pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

18. Dannyboy53

We like the 10 round too for the ease in carrying. We also have some Ruger 15 round magazines and they work great for us.

19. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    ---You can make it do that with a screw driver to take it apart and a jeweler's file.---

Check out RimfireCentral.com in their 10-22 forum for everything ever done, made or dreamed about Ruger 10-22s and move how to DIY mods for them than you ever want to do. They can make those do ever thing but sit up and beg. (and spend your last cent on options)

---With patience and a little effort you can do the best mods yourself for free that people in a hurry spend hundreds of dollars for.

That last shot hold open is an easy one. I did one reading the directions and it worked so well I just did the rest of mine.---

--Jack is confused as Joe Biden on the campaign trail--

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Ten Man and Dannyboy53 like this.
  20. Dannyboy53

Thanks Jack, I'm gonna check this out...probably do the bolt hold open modification!

Ten Man likes this.