Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had the Ruger 10/22 standard carbine stainless. I am looking to purchase one. Just wondering if there has been any problems w/ it.(excessive jamming) I have had no trouble w/ Rugers in the past. However all Remington .22's I have fired jammed much to frequently. I appreciate all input.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,220 Posts
I've had mine for over 7 yrs...never a problem....
Have a Silver Simmon's 4x scope on it...very accurate...very fun...
You can't go wrong with ANY 10/22....all kinds of aftermarket parts for them too...
Even a "Krinker Plinker" kit to turn 'em into mini AK's...:D

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You might want to get just a receiver and trigger group and build on it. Cheaper and a lot (if not most) people end up replacing the stock/barrel. I am toying with the idea of building one up with the 17hm2 barrel/bolt combo.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I bought the all weather 10/22 in 2001. The magazine that came with it was prone to jamming. So I got another and its been flawless since. A $35 leapers scope made a big difference. It now also sports a folding butler creek stock and a pile of 25rd mags. I can't do anything but sing its praises as a fantastic plinker/squirrel gun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love my 10/22. No problems at all with it. My Rem 597 use to jam until Rem redesigned the magazine. I bought 2 mags and have had no jams with it since . Out of the box, the Rem was the more accurate of my two.

·
Registered
781 Posts
One day I may even spend a few bucks to improve the trigger, but its adequte the way it is really. Squirrels inside 50yds are dog food typically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:flame: Thanks for all the input. I originally thought the blued barrel would be fine but for a reasonable amount more I can get stainless. However, I do want a wood stock as comes with the Ruger standard carbine stainless. I understand that with synthetic, I won't have to worry about scratches etc. but I'm not at all rough and I like the look and feel of wood. Plus the extra weight helps aim.(for me at least) Thanks again.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Yep, a friend has one, we go out to the range and rapid fire over 1000 rnds at a time...not one jam...good thing he has about 20 clips, 25 rnds each...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought my blued 10/22 in the early eighties. It has never jammed, and with the scope on it it is always right on at 100 yds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all of the replies. I just wanted to say that I purchased the k10/22-22 model. It has the 22 inch stainless barrel and it is much more accurate than any other .22 I have shot. This particular model is made for accurate, rapid, and distant shooting. The trigger is extremely soft, which I really like. I was considering a scope, but the open sites work great. Bury the front sight in the notch and its close range and put the notch in the upper part of the notch and it is accurate at 100 yds. It works great. I will say so far I am impressed by Rugers quality and on its first day of shooting it killed 7 armadillos.
Thanks for all of the input. It certainly helped decide.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
Sounds similar to my "Wally Mart Special" - 22" Stainless barrel with rifle-type wood stock. I like it, though it took a few hundred rounds to break in and shoot a decent group. I refinished the birch stock blonde (hate Ruger's proprietary finish) and did a basic trigger polish and new spring job, added a Simmons 3-9X40 scope and rings in silver, to match the rifle.
The longer LOP of the stock fits me better than the carbine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have mine in a blued barrle,everything standard with a 4x32 nikko stirling scope and have shot pop cans at 100yards with it missed most of the time but was no fault of the rifle. Now I got to thinkin', would a 22lr kill gophers at 100? If so I better get me a bigger scope before all this white chit (snow) melts!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah it'll kill gophers at 100yds. Especially if you use something like CCI Stingers. A 3x9 scope and a trigger job will do wonders.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts