Ruger 204 or .17 Fireball

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Parkerknives, May 17, 2008.

1. Parkerknives

Parkerknives Guest

Interested to hear what people think is better. Have been shooting 22/250 but am sick of the blast. What is max. range of 204? Is it inherently accurate? Max. range of Fireball? All experiences with these calibres welcome.

2. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

can't say much about the 17but the 204 is awesome. Max range 300-400yrd very acurate. been using it on woodchucks for a few years now, and my buddies take them out for prarie dog regularlyand have made some amazing shots.

3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The fireball is quieter but the .204 has about 2 1/2 times the range.Now I bet someone will come out with a formula noone understands,proving that my field experience is all wrong.I already know either gun can be shot further than the 200yds I allow for the .17 or 500yds for the .204 but to me it isnt practical.But only formulas on paper count.Field experience means nothing. sam.

5. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Lol like the sarcasm Sam,

I have a good friend with a 204 and he has made headshots on groundhogs out to 300+ with zero holdover. very flat shooting cartridge. i would personally opt 204, I just have not heard a lot of good about the 17 out past about 200 or so as Sam has already said.

6. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Enthusiast

one of my friends hits chucks with his 204 at 300yds its pretty cool...as for the .17 fireball idk, i have a .17hmr but thats alot different

7. riverrat

riverrat G&G Newbie

I've yet to shoot the fireball but two years ago in west tx I dropped a nine point buck with my buddy's .204 at a distance of 125 yds. He travelled about 50 feet before falling. I love the cartridge. Also took my first bobcat with it on the same hunt.

8. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have no experence with the .17 fireball, however I own the .204 Ruger and love it. It is extremely accurate very little recoil and makes a mess of rabbits. It also does a good job on the few coyotes I have shot with it. I did read a magazine article where they were testing the Les Baer .204 Ruger. The guy shot a 3.5" group @ 600yds and also shot ballistic gelatin at the same distance. It was the 40gr vmax and it penetrated 11 inches. It didn't expand but I was surprised that it could penetrate that far.

9. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Hmm sounds like there is not a lot of experience with the 17, that alone would be enough to turn me to the 204. It seems as if it is a much better cartridge. (maybe just more well known? who knows lol)

10. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

I own a VLP 12 series savage in 204. I love the little round. Its a very accurate and FAST little sucker. I would choose the 204 (as i did) for the fact that it covers every varmit up to coyote. I would be hesitant shooting a yote with a 17 caliber although it would probably kill it I like the fact that you can load larger bullets in the 204. I havnt taken anything with my 204 besides pigeons and turkey buzzards, but seeing what a HMR does on a groundhog I have no doubts this 204 will toast them to 400 plus yards.

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

It makes me very sad when I see a post where someone is killing things like turkey buzzards.Their only function on earth is to clean up dead,stinking carcases and make a cleaner,better smelling world.I believe that people that kill such things as songbirds and buzzards (just because they can) fall into two catagories,first they are killers,not hunters.If they were hunters they would be hunting the more difficult varmints to hunt,like coyotes,fox,feral cats,woodchucks and such.These types do considerable harm and need to be controled.Second I believe they have never learned about nature and what animals are beneficial,or they never had proper adult examples to show guidelines.What sense or gain is there for the most inteligent animal on earth to take the most sofisticated tool on earth and just create mayhem and slaughter,'just because they can'?It also gives real hunters a bad rap they don't deserve.I am not GOD but I have been granted the GODLY power of life and death over my fellow animals.I pray I always choose wisely and mercifuly,and never kill for the sake of killing,or because I just enjoy killing and destroying.There are paper targets to test how good I am with a gun.And they dont even care. sam.

12. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

I have no intentions of playing god, but when I see an animal that pecks the eyes out of my livelyhood Im sure as hell not going to stand there and watch. You can judge that however you want, but Im not going to sit there and watch an animal make another suffer, I just wont.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You nor no one else has ever seen a vulture or turkey buzzard eat on a living animal.The animal must be decaying before they can eat it.You can lie to yourself and make excuses for your wanton murder and destruction of innocent animals like songbirds and buzzards but there is no way you can justify it to real hunters and outdoorsmen.If beyond your word of mouth you can prove that they ever ate anything living please prove it and I will apoligise.If you can't,you owe the apoligy for lying. sam.

14. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

You can not believe me all you want, but I was the one that found the calf still alive being pecked on by them after its mother died giving birth to it. Am i saying i havnt ever shot one for no reason no, but frankly thats my business and not anyone elses. I dont have any use for the things, thats my problem.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Any more luck deciding on the two calibers?

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I apreciate your 'story' about the live calf,but advise putting more melodrama in it.With all of the time you have riding horseback from one place to another you could have given more background,like the mother came from a poor family that couldn't afford health care,or possibly the buzzards had staked the calf down,spreadeagled and had burned the extremities with cigarettes before gouging the eyes out while the calf was screaming in agony.There any # of images you could think up to dramitise your 'story'.You did say it best when you stated you "have no use" for them,but frankly,you are dead wrong about it being no one elses business.There is no state in the union that you can shoot them legally,making it every citizens business since we,the majority passed the law prohibiting the slaughter of such useful birds.If I ever saw someone slaughtering them or any useful animal such as songbirds,I would turn them in and hope they were prosicuted severely.I love nature and do not have to indulge in senseless and wasteful slaughter to enjoy it.I love to hunt and be successful,but I don't have to kill something that is helpful and harmless just because I may not have the skills and abilities necessary to be a true hunter and sportsman.I can carry a firearm afield and only fire it 1in20 trips and feel great that I saw the wonders of the outdoors and left it undisturbed 19 out 0f 20 times.First,it is against the roles of this forum to post about illegal activities you have performed,and second,a prson has to have at least a character problem,and possibly a mental afliction to go out and destroy natures creatures strictly on the hypotheses of,:"I dont have any use for them". sam.

16. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

Samuel, you seem to be a fairly intelligent individual, but I did not come here to get a moral sermon from you on what you believe is right or wrong. If you want to discuss this issue further my email is open, if not please quit wasting space in this persons thread. I, as well as many others I would imagine, are rather interested in the original topic of this thread so please let it be discussed.

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I already gave my opinion on the guns.Is there something you want to hide from everyone else that leads you to request going PM? sam.

18. GMCGUY

GMCGUY G&G Newbie

Anything I say or someone else says in PM I will more than happily post somewhere if asked to do so, but I feel it rather rude to take up space in this persons thread. I will say nothing more about this issue in this thread, if any more moral teachers would like to talk, PM me and Ill gladly reply and discuss whatever issue it is you wish to talk about.

Parkerknives, sorry for this inconveniance to you.