Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for Ruger experts. I recently bought a Ruger 345, and the first time at the range I found that if I slammed the magazine in quickly the slide would close. Since the slide hold-open lever lets the slide go, it seems like it could create a dangerous situation. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanx for any response. Stan

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
This is common behavior for a semi-auto. With the magazine in place, the slide is only held back by the force between it and the slide stop. If shaken enough to stop applying pressure to the slide stop, the stop will fall back into its normal place.

Basically, if you put a magazine in, then pull back the slide, it will go forward, we all know that. Just imagine the slide being pulled back by the impulse of being hit. That's why this happens. I can't think of any reason it would be unsafe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
slap the magazine in a little LESS forcefully ;)
If it bothers you then hold the slide lock up with your thumb while you do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with BRG3 in that this is common behavior for semi-autos. You may be using more force to slam the magazine in than is necessary for it to seat properly. Try using less force. Or, if it really concerns you: release the slide, then insert the magazine, then pull back the slide to chamber a round.
In either case you end up with a loaded gun which must be handled properly.
Welcome to G&G! Other than that, how do you like your 345?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It might even be a useful thing since it cuts down one step ;) Never happens on my 1911 no matter how hard I slam it in :hmmm:

·
Registered
13 Posts
To prevent this from happening (when the mag is empty), I drop the magazine, then depress the slide release, and then put another magazine in.

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I was a new pistol shooter, and a bit zelos, I had the same condition with my Taurus 92C. I learned to not be soooo forcefull. Why subject your gun to any unnecessary stress? Why not make it last longer? --UR

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had my hands on one of those 345's a recent gun show where I bought my New Vaquero... The 345 was slick! I may have to have on of those. But first, a new rifle...

·
Registered
25 Posts
P345 clip & slide

As mentioned in another forum, I just purchased a P345 and took it to the range the same day. I did notice the clip took a little bit of power to seat (being new, I guess). But the only time the slide closed was when my thumb accidentally hit the hold-back. It doesn't take much to trip it. What did make me nervous as !!!! was the Decock Only safety. I had never encountered one before and !!!! near wet myself when I saw the hammer fall when I clicked it. I guess it will take some getting used to as I shut my eyes and cringed in fear every time I activated the thing. :uzi:

·
Registered
47 Posts
1812Navy said:
What did make me nervous as !!!! was the Decock Only safety. I had never encountered one before and !!!! near wet myself when I saw the hammer fall when I clicked it. I guess it will take some getting used to as I shut my eyes and cringed in fear every time I activated the thing. :uzi:
You need to watch the action when you do this. You'll see that the firing pin is being pulled into the pistol to where the hammer can't hit it. Once you understand how it works, you shouldn't have to worry about getting Depends.

Of course, you still need to practice all the safe handling rules.

--
Mike

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah, it took a bit of nerve for me to drop it the first time too(edit: on my P95DC). Now I just keep it pointed in a safe direction when I do it.

The Walther P22 is worse. If you want to have it loaded and ready to fire in DA mode, you must put it on safe and pull the trigger. That combined with a faint labeling and small lever, it requires attention to detail. Did I mention I was recently fortunate enough to trade my P22 for a assault 870. Glad to see that POS gone!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 45 does that if you slam tha mag in there real good. I like the option of being able to do that tho. thats just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a rough clutz and this has happened to me a couple times -I'm working on it. In the store the seller( friend) had me thumb the safety while cocked and I almost dropped the gun. It's been awhile and I had no idea that feature was available. If it's a Govt. rule , as well as the magazine out/dead weapon rule it's a rule I do not mind one bit. How many times have I fiddled with somebody else's gun carefully trying to lay the hammer back and been nervous while doing so....this thing is now fun and I do it just for grins .:) I am easily amused I guess....I still don't follow how I can see the pin move to its neutral position-is that while I have it apart?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts