close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger .44 Spl GP100

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by TACAV, Feb 15, 2017.

1. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Kinda like bringing back the .357 Mag Redhawk with an 8-round cylinder but then handicapping the cartridge with an almost snubby-length barrel. A niche revolver.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    Ten Man likes this.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I wasn't able to watch the video with the sound on as i'm at work. However from what I was able to quickly look at it appeared we were comparing apples to oranges. The 38spl had a shorter barrel than the 357.

On everything I have read and my personal experience I have only seen a marginal gain from 38+p to 357mag. 150fps to 200fps on the extreme end. For my testing we used off the shelf ammo and my friends S&W 342 and my 442. Both have barrel lengths of 1.8" I let my friend shoot his gun with the 357 Mag loads since that is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my life. A full cylinder of 357 mag made my ring and pinky finger on my shooting hand go numb for a week.
    Anyways we didn't see huge gains in velocity and on average we were seeing 150fps gains. We had one that hit the 200fps faster mark but most were not that much more than the 38spl+p.

When the barrel length increases and that huge fireball starts to shrink due to powder being burned inside the barrel that .357 Mag gains significant velocities over 38+p.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Thank you. I knew that. They don't feed through a .45ACP pistol, so it kind of defeats the purpose of a revolver and pistol using the same cartridge.

After looking at the Ruger web site for the .44 Special shown in the OP, I was VERY disappointed to see that they put adjustable sights on a 3" barrel, when they had fixed sights on the 3" barreled .357 Magnum. Adjustable sights defeats the Concealed Carry value of this gun, in my opinion, and I would not own a 3" barrel for anything other than Concealed Carry.

I don't think Charter Arms has anything to worry about from this Ruger offering denting their market, especially at the price Ruger is asking!

TXplt likes this.
  4. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Enthusiast

He shoots both rounds in 4" and 2" barrels and notes the difference in all to show how much u lose on both going to a snubby and came up with like ~1250fps with 125gr in .357 and ~800 fps in the .38 with the short barrels (cant remember if it was +p but thats usually just about 10% increase right)

5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I doubt I'll be buying one anyway. I like semi autos more. all my revolvers except my S&W 629 are safe queens anymore. and the 629 has seen a LOT less use since I got a 10 mm auto pistol.

ChaZam likes this.
  6. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The 3" barrel is about ideal for the .357 GP-100 and CCW. It's not a small revolver but it fits well in a simply rugged pancake. The extra inch on the barrel helps a great deal for more efficient powder burning and it's nothing like the .357 J-frame I have.

Even the little bit extra on the 2" + sp101 adds a fair bit compared with the blast of the J-frames.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

ChaZam and TACAV like this.
  7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just got a Redhawk in .44 mag, which means I can shoot .44 special. Already have a Taurus and a Dan Wesson in .357 Mag. If I get another revolver think I'll go .41 magnum.

ChaZam and TXplt like this.