close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger .44 Spl GP100

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by TACAV, Feb 15, 2017.

1. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Kinda like bringing back the .357 Mag Redhawk with an 8-round cylinder but then handicapping the cartridge with an almost snubby-length barrel. A niche revolver.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Ten Man likes this.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I wasn't able to watch the video with the sound on as i'm at work. However from what I was able to quickly look at it appeared we were comparing apples to oranges. The 38spl had a shorter barrel than the 357.

On everything I have read and my personal experience I have only seen a marginal gain from 38+p to 357mag. 150fps to 200fps on the extreme end. For my testing we used off the shelf ammo and my friends S&W 342 and my 442. Both have barrel lengths of 1.8" I let my friend shoot his gun with the 357 Mag loads since that is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my life. A full cylinder of 357 mag made my ring and pinky finger on my shooting hand go numb for a week.
    Anyways we didn't see huge gains in velocity and on average we were seeing 150fps gains. We had one that hit the 200fps faster mark but most were not that much more than the 38spl+p.

When the barrel length increases and that huge fireball starts to shrink due to powder being burned inside the barrel that .357 Mag gains significant velocities over 38+p.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Thank you. I knew that. They don't feed through a .45ACP pistol, so it kind of defeats the purpose of a revolver and pistol using the same cartridge.

After looking at the Ruger web site for the .44 Special shown in the OP, I was VERY disappointed to see that they put adjustable sights on a 3" barrel, when they had fixed sights on the 3" barreled .357 Magnum. Adjustable sights defeats the Concealed Carry value of this gun, in my opinion, and I would not own a 3" barrel for anything other than Concealed Carry.

I don't think Charter Arms has anything to worry about from this Ruger offering denting their market, especially at the price Ruger is asking!

TXplt likes this.
  4. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Enthusiast

He shoots both rounds in 4" and 2" barrels and notes the difference in all to show how much u lose on both going to a snubby and came up with like ~1250fps with 125gr in .357 and ~800 fps in the .38 with the short barrels (cant remember if it was +p but thats usually just about 10% increase right)

5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I doubt I'll be buying one anyway. I like semi autos more. all my revolvers except my S&W 629 are safe queens anymore. and the 629 has seen a LOT less use since I got a 10 mm auto pistol.

Ten Man and ChaZam like this.
  6. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The 3" barrel is about ideal for the .357 GP-100 and CCW. It's not a small revolver but it fits well in a simply rugged pancake. The extra inch on the barrel helps a great deal for more efficient powder burning and it's nothing like the .357 J-frame I have.

Even the little bit extra on the 2" + sp101 adds a fair bit compared with the blast of the J-frames.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just got a Redhawk in .44 mag, which means I can shoot .44 special. Already have a Taurus and a Dan Wesson in .357 Mag. If I get another revolver think I'll go .41 magnum.

neophyte, ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  8. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

That's where the Barnes VOR-TX load is different. Due to the seating depth of the all-copper 140gr XPB bullet, (the same as the 180gr Hornady XTP), it is actually a "modernized" .38-44HV load. Checking published load data for the XPB will verify this.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. I don't care for gp100s, but I like the idea of a .44 carry gun (but they ruined it with only 5 holes).

10. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm pretty sure my 629 Lew Horton special is actually lighter than that Ruger, and holds 6 rounds and is rated for .44 mag. I don't see the appeal other than to diehard ruger or .44 special fans.

ChaZam, TXplt, TACAV and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Agreed.

I have a S&W 329PD, Scandium/Titanium .44 Magnum with 4" barrel. It weighs only 25 ounces, empty. I would use that for .44 Special CCW, if I was going to use .44 Special for CCW. The only drawbacks are the width of the 6 round cylinder, and the adjustable sights that could snag.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd

neophyte, ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Those aren't very fun shooting full house 44Mag loads
    Nor is the 357Mag snubby model.

ChaZam likes this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I had a LOT less problem with the full power .44 Magnum loads in the 329PD, than I did with the full power .357 Magnum loads in the little 12 ounce 340PD. That little 340PD is the most brutal hand gun I have ever shot! LOL

I still have them both. I used to carry the 340PD, because it was so light. If I ever had to use it, the recoil would be the least of my worries!

Your son is getting BIG!

neophyte, ChaZam, Palladin8 and 2 others like this.
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Ruger .44 Spl GP100

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69-combat-magnum

I wonder who copied who????

Again, they ruined the 3" by putting adjustable sights on it. It would be a PERFECT CCW gun for 44 Special, if they would have made it with Fixed Sights like the S&W Model 60 or 65.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-60

The buggers at S&W even put adjustable sights on the 3" Model 60 in .357.

Why is it so HARD to get a powerful, high quality, SA/DA revolver with a 3" barrel and low profile sights??????

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Same here!!!

I shoot .44 Magnum "Lite" loads (basically, I load .44 Special + 1.0 grains more, in a .44 Magnum case) out of my S&W 629 Classic 5" barrel revolver. It is not "gentle" but it's not punishing either. It's a nice "BIG BORE" feel, unlike what you get with most semi-autos, other than the 10MM.

I REALLY like the 10MM semi-auto, but I REALLY like the S&W steel revolver "feel" in my hand. I guess I'm going to have break down and buy an all steel 10MM pistol. The Glock works great in 10MM, but it's no S&W as far as "feel" goes. I'm not a big fan of 1911 style pistols, so I'll probably end up buying a SIG in 10MM.:)

16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I too think the 340PD happens to be the most painful shooting experience I have ever encountered. It felt like someone was hitting me in the palm of my hand with a ball peen hammer. I fired it 5 times and when finished my pinky and ring finger were numb. They were numb for days. That small grip hit the nerve just right and that was the end of it for me.

Yes my son is getting big. He turned six in December. Tonight he tests again for his next belt in Karate. The instructor wants to move him into the bigger kids class since he is punching and kicking harder than the other kids in his current class. He has knocked a few of them down and let the air out of one of the kids causing him to cry and not wanting to spar anymore.

neophyte, ChaZam, TACAV and 2 others like this.
  17. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yup.

I too have a 340 PD. Put a box of full house .357 Cor-Bon 140s through it in one sitting and I also liken it to being hit in the palm with a tack hammer (or ball peen hammer). Just unpleasant and painful.

Didn't do it again.

By comparison, the SP-101 is fairly comfortable with .357s despite significant muzzle blast out of the short barrel.

18. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have the M&P 340... almost the same thing as the PD but different cylinder material... the rest is scandium though and pretty much the same thing...(the sights might also be different with the M&P having the big dot night sight and the U- notch rear sight)

yea... it's .357 magnum rated.... do I shoot .357 mag out of it? heck no lol.

I do carry .38spl+p in it though...

I carry it as an off duty/backup gun so I have to qual with it out to 25 yards (left and right hand shooting).... which is a 50 round course... even with thin gloves and shooting tamer practice ball ammo Ill still wear off a thin flap of skin somewhere after the 35-40 round count lol.

Without the gloves Ill have a thin piece of skin hanging and be bleeding on the grips lol.

I think this could have been mitigated a lot if the grips were fully wrap around on the rear tang of the grip vs the exposed metal edge (even though it's rounded)... but I do really like the stock SW rubber grips on there and wrap around ones would be even thicker...

It's also hard enough to use speed loaders with this gun due to the rubber gips getting in the way because the gun is so small/light.

Usually I end up carrying speed strips instead for a reload.

Like TXPlt mentioned about the SP101... back in the day I did carry a 3" SP101... great gun and of all the many guns ive sold... that's the only one I actually regret selling... I do currently have a 2.25" barreled one but it's just not the same... Personally I like 3" revolvers. And I did carry .357 magnums out of it... the 125 grainers... which some people loath... but the beefy SP101 eliminated the flash cutting issues with those rounds and it was giving me basically 9mm +P+ performance so I was cool with it.

But considering the capacity/weight ratio... I eventually opted for other things...

Still coming full circle back to the M&P 340, I mean.... it is what it is... it was designed to be an ultra light snubby with magnum capability... nothing comes for free and that super light weight just translate to recoil/pain cost when you shoot it... or a lot of it...

But hey... what can I say.... it's hard to beat a snubby that you can just toss in your pocket or IWB when you really need to be extra discreet in carrying or you want a good back up option....

19. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hahaha, I don't like those little guns with big power that you all are talking about. Brutal experience putting a few cylinders full of hard hitting ammo down range with them.

I would like to try out the 44 Special that got this thread going...

And I wish I had a steel EAA Winess in 10mm.

And a big lottery win. YES

Ten Man and neophyte like this.
  20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maybe that is why I have three separate 10mm pistols. But, I still like my revolvers too.