Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at this rifle for some small varmint hunting and plinking. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about this gun. thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
In my opinion, they are kinda pricey for what you get. I had one and the accuracy was ok (i.e. average - not great), about like a standard 10/22. The mags appear to be interchangeable with a 10/22, but that is not the case - at least mine would not work right with 10/22 mags. I hate to be negative, but I really don't see to many pros - I sold mine. I guess they look good - I bought mine because I got a deal on it.

You may want to check out the Savage or CZ452. I think you would be happier with either of them. Or, if you like Ruger - go with the 10/22. I have several of those. They are fun to trick out and play with.

·
Wonderment :)
33,588 Posts
77/22

chuckhunter22: Sir; a little more information on the 77/22. The action is built on a center fire frame. The development is about longevity. Will it out last a 10/22?
Finding the proper ammo for any .22 has and will always separate good from not so good.

Were I to purchase the 77/22 and carry several different brands of ammo and it didn't take to shooting straight. Ruger would be called and the unit addressed. My experiences with Ruger; Ruger will fix it.
Bolt actions are inherently more conducive to accuracy; comparing to any semi auto; I would pay the difference between the bolt and semi.
Follow up with your decisions

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chuckhunter22: I've got the Ruger K77/22-VBZ and I absolutely LOVE it. Accuracy is very good, and the only con is it was a little pricy, and I guess it's a little heavy to carry any length of distance. Quality is top notch. When it came time for me to purchase a .22 Mag, my son and I went to G.M.; I had already made up my mind to get the same model Ruger only in .22 Mag. My son keep the presure to "a least check out the Savage 93-BTVS in .22 Mag "; I'm very glad he was with me that day; he saved me 270.00. I am completly satisisfied with my new Savage!!! Accoracy is outstanding and I totally love the accu-trigger.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
I have two Ruger 77/22 rifles; one is the VBZ with Nikon glass on it and it is a real shooter. The other is my 77/22 blued barreled action in a Zytel stock; these are rather rare and only made for a year or so. This rifle has been totally reworked. It has the bolt and bolt body tightened, the trigger and sear have been stoned to a 2 1/2 lb pull, it breaks like an icicle. The barrel and receiver have been given a matte finish, the crown has been recut to 11*. The glass on this rifle is a Burris 3-9, this sporting .22 shoots like a HB target rifle!:bigeyes: Yes I am a fan of the Ruger 77/22:bigeyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been pleased with my Ruger 77/22.

It delivered these fine groups yesterday with a new case of SK Std Plus that I am testing.

There was one flyer (the .79" group) out of the seven five shot 50 yard groups. I did something I rarely do. But, I wanted to make sure it was not a shift in POI of the rifle. So, I fired a sixth shot on that .79" group and it punched right in the middle of the top group.

This rifle has a big rifle feel to it and I like the way it handles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts