Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told shooting the 9mm @.355 would damage the barrel. I would think Ruger wouldn't build a gun that would hurt itself in any caliber that it was designed for. I also believe Ruger is one great gun. What say you all?Thanks. Ridge

·
Registered
183 Posts
.355 is the minimum for 9mm. Can't see how it could cause any damage. Some bullets are cast at .356, .357, and .358, depending on the application. Ruger does indeed build a fine gun and you should be proud to say that you have one.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I too have a Ruger Blackhawk .357,although mine is not a convertible. I have contacted Ruger about a 9mm cylinder and can get one for $130 plus the shipping of my gun one way for factory fitting. Like you, I know that Ruger builds a practically "bullet proof" gun, and wouldn't and couldn't sell a product that was unsafe or knowingly of inferior quality. Also .002" may affect accuracy some, but I doubt it would damage the gun noticeably in your lifetime. Especially seeing as how the forcing cone of the barrel acts like a funnel to guide the bullet anyway.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
Wev'e had a go around or tow on this one here. Some folks think that someone actually wanting to own and shoot one is retarted.

I have owned one and shot it a lot for about 20 years. Accuracy is on par to good or average. It's fun, versitile, and a good conversation piece.

I like my convertable a lot.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
NO

It will not damage the barrel.

Actually, this is a fairly popular offering for Ruger. You can get a wide variety of opinions as to the accuracy of the 9mm in the gun but it is safe to assume if 9mm accuracy was a major issue Ruger would not have the sales to keep the offering in their catalog. So, like many guns you should practice until you reach a degree of accuracy you find acceptable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just had a .357 NMBH back to the factory to get a 4 5/8" barrel changed to a 6 1/2" and get a 9mm cylinder added. It is very accurate with the .357 cylinder. So far, the 9mm cylinder isn't shooting as well. Not terrible, but not as good as the .357. I need to experiment with more ammo types.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
If your asking in general. Iv'e used alt of 115 grain reloaded as well as federal and winchester white box stuff. I did some experimenting with 147 grain, they did well, just more costly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jerry. I have some Federal 115 grain full metal jacket. Is the full metal jacket the best way to go in any caliber? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks.Ridge

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
FMJ's are mandatory in the 9mm cylinder. They headspace on the rim, inside the cylinder there is a bit of back and forth play as with most revolvers. Lead may have an issue with shaving off inside the cylinder.

The .38's and .357's are fine with lead. Very accurate. Just watch the velocities on the .357's so they don't lead badly. Usually below 1000 fps is ok.

No ignorance noted, just ask away. People here like to help out.

·
Handgunner
9,181 Posts
Back when I owned one of these things, I never could get the 9mm cylinder to shoot as good as the .357 cylinder. I found out later from the guy that I sold the revolver to that the 9mm cylinder was throated to .358". He rechambered it for the .357-44 Bain & Davis and it shot fine. I wish I'd kept it and done that myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts