Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering picking up one of these two in .357 mag. Is the only differance between the two that the Blackhawk is single action and the Redhawk is double? Or is there more? Also what would be a good running price for either?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Two different designs...Blackhawk has "Old West" style grips...Redhawk is more modern style...I had both...get the Redhawk.....or both if you can afford it...:)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Blackhawk

Redhawk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out Rugers website and it appears they don't make a Redhawk chaimbered for .357 mag. I guess I'll have to get one in .45 or .44 mag.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Rockabilly88 said:
I checked out Rugers website and it appears they don't make a Redhawk chaimbered for .357 mag. I guess I'll have to get one in .45 or .44 mag.
Oops, thats right...both of mine were .44Mag....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just finished tweaking mine for hunting this season. First to go were those god awful grips. Though they fit the hand well the palm of my left hand, the support hand, had a hole in it from the heel of the grip spur. Bought a set of Eagle finger grip Rosewood grips and modified them to fit my hand.

Then the front sight needed some file work to enhance the sight picture. And like all other Rugers the trigger needed spring replacement and some stone work on the action.

And you are right, the Redhawk is in either 44 or 45, mine happens to be 44 and is an accurate shooter. I also have a Super that, with a scope, shoots rings around the Redhawk.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ive never shot a Redhawk, but I have shot and own a Blackhawk and a Security Six both in .357mag. I prefer the Blackhawk, hands down.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Redhawks only come in .44 Magnum, unfortunately.
I hefted a Super Redhawk and was totally astounded at how well balanced it was! It didn't even feel like the big massive gun it is. I thought "oh yeah. Top heavy and/or nose heavy." But it handled like my GP! Smooth and easy!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned the fact that the Redhawk has a Swing out Cylinder so you can use speed loaders to reload, whereas the Blackhawk has a gate to open and eject and load one bullet at the time...
Rich

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,022 Posts
Plus, the Redhawk is stronger - it'll take more pressure before it fails.

But, to my eyes, the Blackhawk is better looking. :)

·
Banned
18 Posts
357 Ruger

The sweetest 357 Ruger i've owner was a stainless GP100 with the full shroud and a 6 in. barrel. It was weighted perfect and the grips we're the most comfortable i've ever felt. What made it even better was it would shoot. It was also a double action. If I wanted a 357 double action I would pick it over about anything.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Redhawks rule and just so you know the balance is incredible with my scope i hardly notice the hand cannon recoil!! and the super redhawk i think looks corny with the scope all set back like they are... hope you go with the Redhawk .44 it's a sweet gun. see mine below!!!!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned the fact that the Redhawk has a Swing out Cylinder so you can use speed loaders to reload, whereas the Blackhawk has a gate to open and eject and load one bullet at the time...
Rich
Some people prefer them that way. Plus I fire much more accurately SA over DA.

·
Wonderment :)
32,919 Posts

Rockabilly88: Sir; these folks have some goood ideas.
I enjoy several different revolver models
Favorite? all of them
1. Super Redhawk .44 wont win any classic awards,
It'll not be forsale.
2. Blackhawk 6.5" :)
3. Super Blackhawk 7.5":)
4. GP 100 .357 4" :)
A good argument for either Single Action, or the Double Actions.
Positives for a Double Action
1. Single for absolute control
2. Double when you want to do something.
3. Faster Reloading

Single Action Positives. :)

Craig

By the standards of most

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Redhawk has been made in .357 mag, ,41 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt. It is currently available only in .44 mag. The Blackhawk is available in .30 Carbine, .357, .41. .44 and .45. If the question is between a single action and a double action .357, then consider the GP100 as the potential double action.

In a selection like this, there really is no definitive answer. You have to make your decision based on personal preference.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Clem321, you are correct. Redhawks were also made in blue carbon steel for a while! I had a blue .357 Redhawk over 20 years ago. Nice gun, but way too heavy for the caliber. Might have a little collector value now.

I prefer the Ruger single-actions. They fit my hand better, and usually have better triggers.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That being posted, if you can afford it go with the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, it will also handle .45 LCs this, particularly if you plan to hunt with the revolver and you reload you'll have a great gun that'll handle two cartridges!:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts