Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this will be somewhat lengthy and I'll try to keep it short, but I want to relate the whole story because Ruger deserves it.

I bought a used 2.25" SP101 in .357 Mag recently. When I was evaluating it, I thought that the cylinder lock-up was sloppy but all-in-all the gun was like new. The dealer (and gunsmith) told me that the lock-up was a little sloppier than normal but it was nothing to worry about. So I believed him and bought the gun. He was asking $375 and I got him to accept $350 cash including tax (which for where I live is 8.5%). This seemed like a great deal because I had checked around and the other dealers in my area only had new guns going for about $440 plus tax, bringing the total to about $477.

So off to the range where I was shooting at 50' using a bench rest hold, particularly shooting at 5 different targets in a row and being careful to reset on the same chamber after reloads, such that each target represented each of the five chambers. This was a pretty cool test because it showed I had one chamber that had a grouping slightly larger than the rest (about 5-6"), one chamber with a grouping slightly better than the rest (about 3-4"), and the remaining three being about the same (about 4-5"). And upon evaluating the cylinder lock-up more closely, I found a direct correlation of the group sizes with cylinder lock-up slop. The chamber with the worst group was the chamber with a lock-up that was worse than the others. The 3 chambers with the middle-sized grouping all had lock-ups that were about the same and better than the worst. And the chamber with the best grouping had a lock-up that was slightly better than all the others.

The gun wasn't shaving any lead/jacketing from the bullets and the holes in the paper targets were nice and clean and perfectly round. So the sloppy lock-up wasn't a safety issue at all but perhaps was causing some accuracy loss. (Also, the groups were all spot on horizontally, but were actually printing about 6-8" lower than point of aim using 158 grain JSP mag loads and a 6 o'clock hold. I filed the front sight down some and that fixed it.)

So I had a different (unbiased) gunsmith look at my gun particularly concerning the lock-up. His opinion was that my gun's lock-up was definitely out of tolerance and that I should send it in to Ruger for factory servicing. He said he could fix it but that would cost significantly more than the shipping to Ruger. He was confident Ruger would make it right.

On January 9th, I over-nighted my gun to Ruger with a nice letter explaining this whole story. And today, I recieved my gun back (over-nighted back to me). Not too bad of a turn-around especially considering they probably had a slight back-log from the Holiday shutdown.

I cannot be more pleased! Ruger absolutely made this gun right. The lock-up is now perfect on this gun. Of course, the proof will be revealed when I can get to the range to shoot it, but I have absolutely no doubt that it will group significantly better. I'm speculating, but I bet that it will group at 2-3" or better. I can't wait!

Not only did Ruger fix the lock-up perfectly, they also put a new front sight on for me (and returned my original filed down sight). I had expressed concern about the point of impact changing if they did fix the lock-up and was concerned that if the point of impact was raised, then my filed down front sight would be too short. So again, the proof will be revealed at the range, but now I have a new full-height front sight to work with if I need to break out the file (and the original filed-down sight if I need it).

And, Ruger did all of this work free of charge as well as shipped my gun back to me free of charge.

Ruger is absolutely a shining example of American firearms perfection. They stand behind their products even when they are used. I'm going to write a letter of appreciation to them and also request re-imbursement of my shipping costs of $32.14. But even if they don't refund it, I have still come out a winner. They have restored my gun to the level of quality we discriminating buyers expect and they replaced my front sight.

Ruger Rocks!!! Thanks Ruger!!!

ClayMan

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rugers Customer service is excellent. My question to you is since they performed the work to your revolver for free and in a very timely fashion, why would you get greedy and request that they re-imburse you for your shipping charges after all that they've done for you already?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Rugers Customer service is excellent. My question to you is since they performed the work to your revolver for free and in a very timely fashion, why would you get greedy and request that they re-imburse you for your shipping charges after all that they've done for you already?

i agree, dont get too greedy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this on RugerForum.com and got the same response concerning the shipping...I guess I didn't think of it as greedy and believe it could be somewhat of an insult to ask for it. So, I'm simply writing my letter of appreciation and that's it.

Ruger has made me happy and has stood behind their product. They are a great company!

ClayMan

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Ruger does not warrantee there firearms so I suppose you can buy new or used and send it back and they'll fix it free when ever you firearm has a problem.

·
Wonderment :)
33,595 Posts
insult

Clayman: Sir; good post.
Having and shooting and tearing up stuff; Ruger has pulled through; for my mistakes.
They done you good. I wouldn't mention wanting shipping fees back.
A good clean 'thanks' :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ruger Service

I second that!

I haven trying to find a Ruger #1b in a 308 for quite some time. No distributor or gun shop had one or could find one. I called Ruger and actually got a human on the phone the first time. No voice mail no “IF YOU ARE CALLING ABOUT SERVICE PRESS 1 NOW, IF YOU WANT THIS THAT AND THE OTHER PRESS 2 NOW#. An actual human acting humanly! How existential. (Sorry, I could not resist that one). They were very diligent in the search and found the same thing I did. No on has them. Anyway, to make a longer story shorter, I got the information I needed in a timely manner and very professional. Impressive to say the least. If anyone is looking for this set up, they will be available late February or the first of March.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruger Rocks...Taurus SUCKS...Need I say more ?LOL
Rich
Well, I can't comment on Taurus' customer service because of the 4 Taurus revolvers I have bought, not one of them had any issues of any kind. All have been excellent in fit and finish with smooth trigger pulls, excellent lock-up, accuracy, functioning, etc. All of my Taurus revolvers were perfect right out of the box and at price that was considerably less than the competiton!

But again, I can say that Ruger Customer Service Rocks!!! Ruger will stand behind their products and make them right if you happen to get one from the factory with issues.

ClayMan

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have had 2 excellent experiences with Ruger Customer Service as well. They are a shining example of how to treat customers and backup their product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts