Ruger GP100, 4in or 6in Barrel?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by TheWolfPack574, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TheWolfPack574

TheWolfPack574 G&G Newbie

I will be using this gun for plinking and carrying when hiking. What barrel length should I get.

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

For carry two situations exist

Your question is very old and has a sort of unending debate attached to it.

My feeling - if you are hiking and carrying it in a holster I would go with the four inch. If you can carry it in a backpack or bag I would go with the six inch.

Best wishes.

3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

I own both.
    And prefer lots of plinking with the 6".

4. Erickson

Erickson G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I own a 4" GP100 and love it for plinking 38s and is nice on 357 as well. I think you would be solid either way and will second nathangdad's opinion. 4" for hip carry, 6" for backpack carry.

5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

What kinda plinking?

If its IDPA or other organized plinking, go 4", as the rules say a 4.2" barrel is the longest concealable by the rules ;)
    Not to mention that its GREAT training!!

Perversely, I prefer at least 6" barrel for hog/deer/black bear, as .357 gets a little more speed coming out, so if hunting with it...longer is better.
    Kind of why I'm saving up for a Lone Wolf Longslide conversion for my Glock 20 (10mm).

Hey, has anyone seen a real version of this thing??
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/images/pic-059-wg-revolver-long-B.jpg
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking the two tac rails and the finger-groove grip would make it one serious target shooter, if there's a real version :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Go with a four inch.

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

My thoughts, as well.

The 4" barrel is much handier. Great for plinking, hiking, and informal occasions. The 6" barrel is better for serious Target shooting or hunting.

8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

4". 6" is harder to carry--especially when sitting. The 4" is a very good compromise between velocity, sight radius, weight, and ability to carry. Good general purpose barrel length.

9. UrbanCombat45

UrbanCombat45 G&G Newbie

4 inch....not as bulky(long) as the 6 inch barell and personally I think it looks better than the 6 inch barrel.

10. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

I think for overall I would lean towrds the 4" over the 6. Still accurate/handles the same-but the 4 will be so much easier to carry-less weight/less bulk and less to have to conceal. But no matter what you do what you feel is right for you-then at that point how can you go wrong...Good luck.

11. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Evangelist

The difference is 2" of steel tube, just 2 measley inches. Get a good comfortable holster and neither one will give you any trouble.

BTW, the toy revolver that's been "tacti-cooled" is the most perverted, wrong, ugly excuse for a revolver that I've ever seen. A revolver is something that should be kept simple. Ug! What a horrific monstrosity! What kind of special purpose holster would one have to buy for that hideous thing? And by the time you got it out of said holster and got whatever gadgets you had attached to those rails set the way you wanted them, some fellow with an old fashioned fixed-sighted six-gun would have you killed a dozen times over.

12. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I own a 6" and love it! Good advice above. I am planning on getting either a bandoleer holster or a shoulder hostler for carrying in the field. If you are planning to carry in a hip holster then I would recommend the 4".

Either way you can not go wrong with the GP100!

13. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

The most flexible position you could be in would be to take the 6" to the range with you, and utilize it's sight radius advantage..... then.... load up the 4" when you take off to go hiking.

Ask yer wife if she uses a serving spoon to flip eggs with.... proper tool for the job, right? :D

14. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Evangelist

For conceal carry, definitely the 4", but for open carry.......6". JMO

15. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I'd stick with the 4" because A) it's a little smaller and lighter so it will carry easier, and B) it looks better.

16. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I love my 6" GP100 and personally if one is never intending to need to conceal a medium bore magnum revolver such as the GP100, I see no advantage at all for the 4" version. A friend of mine has 2 of the 4" guns and every time we go to the range he shoots mine more than his and is always wanting to do a trade for mine.

17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

The GP frame is quite heavy compared to some others. For that reason alone, I would prefer the balance in the 6". BUT, if you will be hip carrying, perhaps, the shorter barrel will probably be better.

Why not just get a Dan Wesson with interchangeable barrels and you can have anything from 2" to 8" or more? :)

18. TheWolfPack574

TheWolfPack574 G&G Newbie

The main reason I would carry it is all of the rattle snakes where we hunt, hike, and shed hunt. I'm not worried about concealing it, not old enough for a CCW Permit yet. During the seasons when the snakes are out, I might load it up with some .38 #11 shotshells.

19. aht_six

aht_six G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've have, or have had, revolvers in many different barrel lengths, 8-3/8, 7-1/2, 6, 4-5/8, 4, 3, 2-1/8, and 1-7/8 inch. I think 4 inch barrels are the best choice for all around use.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted