Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting interested in the compact Ruger K77 308. Has a 16.5 inch barrel. What kind of loss of accuracy and velocity would you expect from such a short barreled weapon? Anyone have any experience with one?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Gee thats a good question ! You will loose some for sure how much I can't say.
Lets hope Samuel reads this Thread he'll know.
Mind me asking why you want a M77 compact ?
A.H

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The best advice I can give on this one is use the load data for SSP,or single shot pistols.You will notice there are fewer reccomended powders and they tend to be in the fast burn rate.You can also get some idea of how much you are loosing in a short barrel by comparing the fps of a 24"or 26" barrel to the,usually 15" on a TC or such.Compare the fps between rifle and pistol using what powders are recomended for SSP,s.I personally have only had experience with 20" barrels on AR type platforms and found them very close to the best in longer barrels.I have also noticed that the 16" AR,s ran a close second to 20" barrels.I use AA2230 mostly in TC,s and shorter barreled rifles and the old standby IMR 4895 for longer barrels.This is for consistency more than fps. sam.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I purchased one of these rifles in ss/laminate .308. This is one awesome weapon. 1" lower at 200yds than my 700 rem .308. Shorter than the racks on a 4 wheeler, enough muzzle blast to make the magnum guys jealous and enough power to drop anything in the lower 48. I used mine on a 300+ black bear in Dec and he dropped like a rock at 165 yds. The way I look at it most big game kills are under a hundred yds. This rifle is good (for me at least) to 300+. Buy it you wont be dissappointed.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
This is some great info. I bought one of the first M77 compact in 223. Loved the look and feel. Could not get it to shoot. Sold it. I have heard a lot of great things since. I guess Ruger improved them. I should have sent the rifle back to Ruger and told them to make it shoot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking for a backup gun...a weatherproof all around gun for bad weather and to take on hunts in case my main gun breaks. I usually prefer compact guns, and like the feel of this one. Just torn between it and the synthetic Hawkeye. Thanks for the opinions guys...not sure which way to go yet. I WISH the Remy Model 7 Predator came in 308!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts