Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m debating buying a Ruger KP345 as my second gun (first Ruger Mark II). I’d like a gun that I can carry, but also that I can enjoy shooting. Most of my friends have already told me a defensive gun isn’t supposed to be “fun†to shoot, but I should look for a reliable sub-compact. I was thinking of a sub-compact as my 3rd gun for a little ways down the line, maybe 6-months to a year.

My questions aren’t very specific; I’m just looking for some advice on the topic. I’ve read a couple articles on the 345 and it sounds like a terrific gun, perhaps just a bit large to carry. I’m also interested in hearing some more details about the gun from owners, alternatives, or if I the group consensus is to buy the defensive gun first, then the 345 down the line (am I crazy to consider carrying the KP345?).

I also live in MA., so options are limited.

Thanks-

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Size depends on what you can effectively conceal. Also, the right gun is the one you can shoot best, though you do need to be able to carry it. In my case, a Steyr M40 in the perfect compromise, and is an extremely comfortable gun to shoot. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who are accepting of polymer framed pistols, as well as those who prefer metal frames, because it does have an internal frame that is more than sufficient for moving parts.
I'd consider the KP345 in a similar category for size, though it might be a bit bigger. The Steyr M40 is a little bigger than I'd like for CCW, but the plain fact is anything smaller would be uncomfortable to shoot, and thus hard to practice and get skilled with.
I would suggest getting a carry piece before a target piece, but I wouldn't consider the KP345 bad for carrying, as long as you're able to conceal it effectively. I'd consider carrying one myself if I didn't have another preference.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Here's a nice factory pic of one for all curious:

Compared to the current P90 in the same round:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Actually the P345 is an offshoot of the P97:

I had a P97 but sold it...I did not like the way it felt under recoil...I have a P95DC stainless and love it though!

I have held the P345 and like the feel alot....I'd like one myself...:right:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the 345 is such a good-looking gun.

Battle- thanks for the info. I'm pretty tall so I think it will be relatively easy to carry concealed. Of course it’s not as easy to conceal as a sub-compact, but easy enough to justify the increased value in “fun to shootâ€￾ factor. One of my friends was suggesting the Taurus PT-145 (Is the updated version the 24/7? Or PT-149?) or Glock 36. He also admits they are both “hell to shootâ€￾.

NRAJoe- It’s never to late to trade the P95 in for the 345, is it!? :cool:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
No, no...the P95DC is one of those guns I told myself I will never get rid of....the P345 would lokk nice next to its little brother though....

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
You can call it fun factor if you like, to me larger guns up to a certain point are easier to handle. A Steyr seems to be the optimum balance of all those features. Now I get an awesome grip on a double stack 1911, but I wouldn't say I could operate it well under high stress, though the slide is pretty smooth so maybe. That Ruger gun seems to be just a tad bigger than a Steyr, but being single stack I'm sure it would be easier to handle, though more top heavy.

Great as the Ruger KP345 looks, I can't stop recommending the Steyr M40.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,182 Posts
had a 97 'till I got the 1911 bug.

I like the looks and feel of the 345.

Gotta go with what feels and shoots good for you.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
What idiots. My condolences on the loss of your freedom. Come to PA. While your vote will never be enough to offset the libs in MA, in PA it's close enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha! Yeah, it's a pretty short list. To add insult to injury, Sig Arms is about 45 minutes away in Exeter, NH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out the buddy band (it has a built in gun pouch type holster slot) at http://www.holstersrus.com

It is a can be wierd way to carry, but this buddy band works well with bigger guns. Thier buddy band is worn by alot of cops over their bodyarmor to carry a back up.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
My stepson has a Taurus PT-140 and it is a real nice little gun as long as you don't ever squeeze the trigger. The trigger pull is probably around 14-15 lbs and very long. My personal preference is the Springfield XD in whatever caliber you like. This gun is h ell for tough and has a sweet trigger to boot. It is also available in several configurations and there are matching accessories like lasers, lights, and holsters available through Springfield as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think the Taurus is available here in MA.

Anyone had any luck finding aftermarket parts for the 345?

·
Registered
25 Posts
P345 in MA

Solar, thanks for posting the AG's Approved Roster! I bought the KP345 in Calif., where I also live, but when I looked at Ruger's site, it said Not Approved for sale in MA. So I am Weaponless-in-Boston. Now I can bring it back for a little range shooting while I'm stuck here.
BTW, I love the 345- feel, size, recoil, etc. Nice weapon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The weapon is still in Calif. When I saw the Ruger site, I decided to leave it there. Now that it's approved, I'll be bringing it back in a couple weeks. I've been invited by a friend of a friend to shoot at the Medford police range. That's all I know here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
10 rnd mags for 345

Has anyone used Pro Mag Ruger P90 10 rnd clips in the 345?? I picked some new ones up online for a reasonable price. The seller marketed them as P90 & 345 compatible. As I look at Ruger's catalogue they show the 90s and 345s as separate (8 round only). They seem to fit a little snug, but seem to cycle ammo OK, though I haven't fired any rounds yet. Any help??

JD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts