Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, this is my first post after a while of lurking.

Has anyone seen/held the new Ruger LCP? Can anyone comment on its construction?

I have happily owned a Kel-Tec P3AT for about a year as my every day carry gun. It fits into the pocket of whatever I am wearing and still fires a 380 round which is, IMHO, the smallest I would consider for protection. However, I have been more and more disappointed with the quality of the little gun. After a year of regular carry, plus regular range time keeping my accuracy up, it is looking a bit rough around the edges. I expect that soon I will no longer feel comfortable carrying it or firing it.

Entre the Ruger LCP; a gun which looks considerably similar to the P3AT (lawsuit similar, if you ask me).

Can anyone comment on the quality of the LCP? I have all the dimensions, and it is just a bit bigger and a bit heaver, but nothing significant. The LCP looks to bejust as great a pocket gun as the P3AT.

Here is a picture of both for anyone curious.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lawsuit? Doubtful. From what I understand, Keltec doesn't have any patents on the P3AT.

But from past experience, I would buy a Ruger over a Keltec any day. While both have good customer service, most people never have to use Ruger's customer service, while Keltecs seem to be a 50/50 chance of sending something back to them to fix and make right.

And yes, I do plan on buying a Ruger LCP as soon as I find one in the gun store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one. New one not affected by the recall. I shot it Sunday. Very well constructed. Fits well in the hand. Extended magazine would benefit grip. Trigger pull was fine. Not too hard not too soft. Trigger guard did not knock trigger finger.

Did not shoot for grouping. Shot rapid fire at 5 feet and all rounds hit target.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I have a P3AT and couldn't be more happy. I shot a friend's LCP side by side my P3AT one day and I didn't notice a difference. My understanding is Ruger, with permission, copied the P3AT exactly. Ruger is well known for standing behind their guns but does not offer a written warranty. Kel-Tec gives a lifetime unconditional warranty that even transfers if you sell the gun. The LCP's recall was what put me over the edge and I bought the Kel-Tec. They are close to identicle if not 100% identicle and you won't go wrong with either but I would go Kel-Tec due to the warranty and they are about $75 less.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Heard too many bad stories about LCP's, have a p3at and has fired great for about 2 years now.

Other than availablity and price I haven't heard one bad thing about the LCP. They had a Recall and Ruger seemed to take care of it well even gave owners a free mag to make up for the trouble.

I have held the LCP and P3AT side by side. I couldn't shoot them but everything I saw indicated a better fit and finish in the LCP. The frame seems more solid and erogonomicly the LCP fits in the hand better. I intend to purchase the LCP. I had wanted the P3AT untill I held the LCP. The LCP is in very high demand which indicates to me that they are at least winning favor with the pubilc.

Also I had heard that Ruger licensed the design from Kel-tec, I can't back that up with any kind of facts just something I heard.

IMO, the LCP is the same design as the P3AT just made out of better materials.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I read an article about the two, I think it was Gun Tests. They said very much alike, they shot alike and looked alike, but the LCP seemed to be put together a little better, quality wise.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
Handgun Magazine had an article about 6 months ago on pocket .380's. They reviewed the P3AT, LCP, Guardian and Cobra Patriot. They rated P3AT as best then LCP then Guardian and then said Cobra sucked.

·
Registered
114 Posts
rugar vs keltec

got a friend who owns the ruger and he has had to send it back numerous times for one thing or another. talked last night with a police officer that goes to my church asking about the kel tec pf 9, and he said the keltecs were great little guns. alot on the force where he works have them for plain clothes and backup.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
got a friend who owns the ruger and he has had to send it back numerous times for one thing or another. talked last night with a police officer that goes to my church asking about the kel tec pf 9, and he said the keltecs were great little guns. alot on the force where he works have them for plain clothes and backup.
I have always loved Ruger revolvers but their autos don't impress me much. I like my Kel-Tec just fine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
KelTec v. LCP

These are firearms that I wouldn't shoot very much. I have shot the LCP and found it to be not very much fun. It is quite a hand full and the trigger pull is long. I believe that both the Kel Tec and the LCP will probably do what they are designed for ,which is to put 6-8 rounds of .380 into a man sized target at short range
I also have no use for a carry gun as there is not a hope in hell of getting a carry permit in the "Free State"
I own a Beretta Cheetah 84 which is a high quality miniature of the Beretta 92 and its not a lot of fun to shoot either, but stands head and shoulders above the Keltec and LCP for plinking /casual shooting.
As for your concerns about the carry wear of the KelTec, I believe they may be misplaced. Carry guns get battered and the wear is usually only superficial. Have a gunsmith check the pistol for problems if you are worried about safety or function.
DocAitch

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I also have no use for a carry gun as there is not a hope in hell of getting a carry permit in the "Free State"
+ 1 If you aren't going to carry it both these guns make no sense. Thet are great, wasy to hide carry guns but that's about their only purpose.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
i dont trust the LCP, i think its over-hyped

i think the kel-tec is just as good if not better

never fired an LCP but ive heard alot and seen the prices on them, its absurd alot of it

·
Banned
10,852 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts