close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger-Luger

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by frenchy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Had a Ruger 22lr luger replica bought like new from neighbor for $70 around 1967? never saw or heard of one since. Sold it in the 1970s like a idiot. Have any of you seen or own one?

frenchy:banghead:

P.S. sorry if i already asked this, did a search got nothin, but am a PC retard

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

are you sure this was a Ruger?

There was firm, I believe, called something like ERMA that made a cheapo
    .22 somewhat along the exterior lines of a Luger but not the actual Luger action.

It failed in the marketplace.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Stoeger made a .22 Luger years ago, pehaps that was it.

4. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I believe those were the same gun, different importers or ownership of the company gave them different names. But to answer the question originally posted, no, I'm pretty sure Ruger never made a toggle top model. The Mark series of .22s superficially resembled the P-08, simulating the grip angle and barrel profile at first. That and the similarity in the names plus the low price helped the company get rolling back in the late '40s.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Hmmmm well up untill this moment i woulda swore it was a Ruger but that was a long time ago . I know it was a toggle action, heavy,good bluing,never failed to fuction,never jammed. Well thanks guys i'm sure your right if i ever see my old friend Curly [been about 28yrs] that i sold or traded it to will ask what he did with it.

frenchy

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Erma and Stoeger Luger .22LR pistols are totally different pistols - no relation. The Erma is styled much more like the 'real' Luger, and is what you get for 'collector' interest on a budget. They have a poor reputation for reliability.
    The Stoeger is less like the 'real' Luger, but is a much better shooter. I have the Stoeger, and it is a nice little shooter. Zamak frame, wood grip panels, fairly large as .22LR pistols go. Grip has an excellent 'feel', like all Lugers.

Ruger never made a "Luger" pistol, but some folks mistake them because of the similar sounding names. The story goes that Bill Ruger actually took the Japanese Nambu as his inspriration.

The Stoeger Luger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Hey BD, thanks for the clarification about Erma and Stoeger. I did not know that, obviously. The things never held much interest for me, although the toggle action is unique.

8. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

I used to have one of the Stoeger Lugers. It was finicky about the ammo that went through it and it fouled easy. when it got fouled, it wasn't reliable. Still, wish I still had mine.

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have not field-stripped mine for cleaning - I just remove the wood grips and 'flush' it with spray gun cleaner. Then lightly lube the bolt.
    The only ammo it doesn't care for is CCI Blaser. Works great with Winchester Dynapoint and Experts.
    The 'ten round' magazine actually holds eleven - don't tell Ms. Brady...... :p

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth G&G Newbie

I think you are correct in thinking you had a Ruger.The Ruger Mark 3 standard barrel looks like a luger to a T.Msrp on one is $362 new,but at a dealer they should be much lower in price.

Attached Files:

11. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Ruger history:)

For more info;)

50 years of Ruger Auto Pistols - Page One

And it was no accident that the Ruger .22 did have a distinct similarity in appearance to the classic Luger. It was simply the first example of Bill Ruger's genius at creating innovative and original firearms designs while at the same time still tapping the wellsprings of American shooters' nostalgic fondness for traditional designs.
    The Ruger Standard Model .22 auto was an instant success. By the day the operation had to spend the last dime of the original $50,000 investment with which the two partners began, there were 100 guns ready to leave the factory to fill prepaid orders (Ruger refused to cash any customers' checks until the pistols were made). The first production pistols shipped in the fall of 1949. From that moment onward, Sturm, Ruger & Co. has been sustained with profit from sales, never borrowing a cent. Sturm died in November of 1951 from viral hepatitis, and Bill Ruger ordered the color of the company's logo forever changed from red to black

[​IMG]

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The Rugers are not toggle action.

13. KP90DC

KP90DC G&G Newbie

I had a early Ruger model around 1960 and people were always calling it a Luger that wasn't familiar with the Rugers.

14. johnsobr

johnsobr G&G Newbie

I realize this post has been dead for a while but I have the pistol in question. It is a stoeger which for the main part looks like a ruger mark I as far as grip and frame, but the action is similar to the Luger with the folding/bending/triangle/what ever you want to call it action. I can post pics if u would like. It was given to me by grandfather. Only problem is it needs a new magazine or three. Any ideas? Will a standard mark I or II mag fit?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted