Ruger M77 Mark II rifle Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by scoutman, Oct 31, 2008.

1. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

i was wondering about some knowledge about this rifle my dad has one and it looks really nice and i was wondering how accurate this rifle is. its chambered in 30-06 springfield. I'm looking to get a new deer rifle because my Mossberg 100 ATR is not very reliable when it shoots because of a questionable bolt issue. he also has a remington 700 in 25-06 witch i like and have shot a deer with but the 700 is out of my price range. and on Ruger's website they say that the m77 has been discontinued is this true?

2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the original 77 is done, they now make the 77mk-2 which is being supersceded by the hawkeye.
    these are all better rifles then the one they replaced.
    i have all 3 versions and the new one is an improvement.
    some of them i have had, have been a bit picky about what they shoot.
    but they are tough ,reliable, last forever rifles.
    just as they were intended to be.

3. dmwphoto

dmwphoto G&G Newbie

I have the M77 Hawkeye in .308. It is a superb weapon in every way. I predict you will be quite pleased with one.

4. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

ruger 77 and 77 mkii are "lifetime" guns.........i am quite happy with mine and i'm sure my children and their children will get service out of them long after i am gone............

5. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

They're good but not great rifles

If you are a typical hunter who might shoot a deer within 100 yards this is all you will ever need.

If you want to stretch the distances and accuracy criteria out to 200 yards and beyond this might not be the best choice for you.

6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

The Hawkeye is an excellent rifle with feature's desired by many folk's wanting a custom built rifle with out haveing the "high" price tag of a custom built rifle !

I also have a New Hawkeye in 308 caliber that shoot's overlapping bullet hole's at 100 yard's.

Need I say more ? nathangdad do you own one ? Though I disagree about what you say about not being a Great rifle which that's o.k. But some other members here own them and love them as well...A.H

7. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

I have a 77 in 243 and its neat.

8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Hi ArkansasHunter

When I mean great I am thinking more in the Sako or custom barreled catagory. People truly do have outstanding accuracy from some Mark II guns and I am happy for them.

I did not own one as a matter of clarification but I am a careful and interested observer of the shooting range. I learn a great deal from intense observation.

One of my, for what its worth and it does not relate to this post, observations is that few people are recoil insensitive although many people claim to be insensitive to the recoil of larger calibers.

9. jaeger

jaeger G&G Addict

I have the compact in .308 and it is a great little gun. Recoil and muzzle blast out of the 16 in barrel are quite impressive but accuracy is outstanding. Will easily hold a 1moa if I do my part. My father on the other hand cannot get the gun to group. I think this is more in part that he is quite a bit larger than me and the short LOP is un-natural to him.

10. dmwphoto

dmwphoto G&G Newbie

here is mine with a 1.5 - 4.5 scope

[​IMG]

and here is how it shoots at 100 yards

[​IMG]

11. ArkansasHunter

dmwphoto You have a nice rifle pictured, though I own a non wood model my next Hawkeye will be a wood model in .358 Winchester.
    A.H

12. 10ringultramag

10ringultramag G&G Newbie

My father also has a m77 mkII and it is a sweet little rifle, I persanally own 2 rem 700 a 700 bld deluxe and a 700 police I love remingtons but i must say rugers are nice rifles and they do not make the mk II anymore but now make the Hawkeye witch is a nice rifle too and a good change in the new lc6 trigger. I would tell you to get a ruger in 25-06 imo if you want a good deer rifle and more

13. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

25-06 is a expensive round but its accurate

14. 147 Inches

147 Inches G&G Newbie

They're good but not great rifles
    If you are a typical hunter who might shoot a deer within 100 yards this is all you will ever need.

Well Said by another member and i agree 100%.

I own a Mk ll in .270.
    I have had problems with keeping zero, but I am placing blame on the crappy Bushnell and not on Ruger.
    My last whitetail was taken in a blinding snow storm and the 130 grain Winchester supreme found it's 7 point buck.
    Only needed 1 round ever with my Ruger.
    Never a jam, never a misfire, Never a problem!
    I just picked up a Sako M995 yesterday and I am feeling that I will retire the Ruger...forever and replace it with a Sig 250 Pistol.
    This thread is maiking me think twice about that decision.

15. dmazur

dmazur G&G Newbie

Ruger's M77 MkII's are good rifles. Strong, reliable, but not known for superb accuracy.

However, if you can handle a .308 instead of a .30-06, Ruger makes a version of the M77 MkII known as the M77VT which has a heavy profile free-floated barrel in Target Gray, a target trigger factory adjusted to around 2# (with suitable warnings in the user's manual!) and a warp-resistant laminated stock.

My wife has one of these in .243 and it's the most accurate rifle I've shot in quite a while. Easily does 1" groups with factory ammo, and is better with handloads.

I've read reviews about the .308 chambering that are similar. (I think Ruger was offering this at one time done up with a black laminate stock and black coated barrel as a "police model". No other changes.)

Considering Ruger's propensity for relatively slender barrels, pressure points at the forend, and "lawyer-proof" triggers, the VT models are an impressive change.

Oh, yeah. They are also kind of heavy to carry around. 11 lbs with scope. :)

16. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

well my dad just got rid of my Mossberg 100 ATR and replaced it with a M77 Hawkeye in .270 and so far from only shooting it 3 times since i bore sighted it, i like it a lot even though i haven't officially sighted it in yet so i dont know what i can do exactly yet, and i put a Barska Varmint 6-25x50 scope on it.

17. Chris Verga

Chris Verga G&G Newbie

I just bought a ruger hawkeye in 25-06 left handed. and can't be more pleased with it other than the trigger it is not better in any way an aftermaket timney is in order I choose to with the 115 gr nosler accurate with a good hefty load of h-4831 carefully work up but no signs of pressure velocity is over 3080 fps and has alot of muzzleblast no kick as much as a 243 win it has a pretty tight chamber and the barrel has a bigger contour than any of my other ruger hopeing some on can tell me why but that is problely why groups are usually .79 not bad for a production run gun but it has a ruff barrel likes to collect copper hope it smoothout I'm tired of scrubing with tipton other than that fit and finish is good and everthing functions good any day I can pay $550.00 for a sub moa gun i'm happy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  18. Brad Collins

Brad Collins G&G Newbie

Ruger M77 Mark II

I purchased a Ruger M77 Mark II in 300 Win Mag 6 months ago. I scoped it with a Kahles 2.5X7X35 mm. I put it through David Tubb's "Final Finish" bore lapping system and also lapped and re-blued the barrel crown. The final touch was to polish the bolt races to clean up the rough spots. I was going to put a Rifle Basix after market trigger in ir but I am not so sure that I will go to that expense now I was able to shoot consistent 1/2 minute groups at 250 yards after initial sight in using both 180 and 200 gr. spitzers. I purchased this rifle pimarily as a hunting rifle for larger North American game such as elk and moose but I will also use it for mule deer perhaps using a 165 gr. spitzer. This comlete outfit cost me less that $800.00 and I couldn't be more pleased. I have shot a Winchester Model 88 .308 since 1968 (a rifle which by the way has produced many groups of 1/4 minute accuracy at 200 yards). I finally decided to get a larger bore rifle when I had trouble bring down an elk at 400 yards. I couldn't be more pleased. All of the negative press about Ruger is apparently associated to those rifles manufactured when Ruger was contracting the barrels out. That has changed, and will be the first to testify that these are now very fine rifles. In this day and age I would never trust any rifle (made by any manufacturer) right out of the box. Spend a little money for things like barrel lapping and good optics, and then make sure you are using ammunition appropriately loaded for your particular rifle and you will greatly improve your odds of a favorable experince.

19. ArkansasHunter

This is Interesting. I've been reading range reports and post's at other sight about the New Ruger Hawkeye rifle. Just now finnished reading.
    I own one myself in 308.
    What I've found and this is a guess, 95 percent or better new Hawkeye owners are very well pleased with there new Rugers.
    Another thing that stood out was many times there rifles shot through the same bullet hole at 100 yards.

I also found theres still people posting there experience with M77's of the past, I've found that here as well.

If your posting from past experience with the older Ruger's then I wished you would stop, because the Hawkeye is 100 % better.

Lastly quiet a few new owners found the barrel easy to clean as I did and the rifleing to be as perfect as possible.

Anyway I want to make a point here and thats the new Ruger Hawkeye is a much improved rifle that everyone should consider when looking to buy another rifle.

Lord willing I'll be buying another Ruger Hawkeye in .358 Win. before Deer season opens here. I like them so well...A.H

20. TX Hog Hunter

TX Hog Hunter G&G Newbie

My experience mirrors those of you in some of the previous posts.

I have Ruger 77s of all three generations.

The original tang safety 77s were good tough guns, but a lot of them didn't shoot all that good. The stocks were also fat and bulky. They had the best fully adjustable triggers though.

The MK IIs were an improvement in quality and feel with a "safer" safety system. Early during the MK II mfg the manufacturing of the barrels was brought inhouse and accurracy started to dramatically improve. They have a marginal non adjustable trigger.

The new Hawkeye's are a major improvement overall. They sport slimmer and much better feeling stocks, better fit and finish and most seem to be VERY accurate. The trigger is better than the MK II, but still not as good as the original. My brown laminate stock stanless Hawkeye .30-06 is probably my favorite hunting rifle.

When it comes to bolt action hunting rifles Ruger Hawkeye's, Tikka T3s and Remington 700s are my favorites in that order.