Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I have a M77 tang safety 22" sporter barrel in .30-06 that has always produced 1 1/2" and under groups and it doesn't make much difference what bullet.I think that is great for a medium weight hunting rifle.The only MK2 I have is/was an all weather SS in .223 that I put a hogue stock on and then put a Douglas supreme SS 26" barrel on and had a hell of a time with the alluminum bedding.It's simple to cut wood or plastic down or reset pillars,but full length aluminum is a problem.Anyway,it is a tack driver now with 5shot groups around 1/2" using Hornady 40gr VMAX.Anyway,I have been around several newer Rugers of several chamberings, and the owners were well satisfied.Happy even. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ruger M77 Mark II

I have a laminated stocked Mark II in 30-06. I would say that they are extremely tough, but at least in the model that I own they do take some work to make them really shine. I had the trigger worked over, free floated the barrel and found one load and I do mean ONE load that it shoots in 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards every time. So sometimes they take a little tinkering, but very solid tough rifles over all.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you are a typical hunter who might shoot a deer within 100 yards this is all you will ever need.

If you want to stretch the distances and accuracy criteria out to 200 yards and beyond this might not be the best choice for you.
I have a MKII in 6.5x55 that will shoot 3" groups at 300yds with 120 grain Noslers and Rel-19. I've seen other MKIIs in 270 and '06 shoot less than 1" at 100 yds. If you replace the trigger springs and lighten the pull to a reasonable [4-5pounds for a ruger] they will shoot as far as you should be shooting. Most any Ruger bolt action is more than capable of killing game out to 400 yds if the shooter is up to it.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
As far as I am concerned, Ruger rifles are top quality, and I would not hesitate to own one again in any chambering.

I am in complete disagreement with the gent who said they are not "great" rifles., all that I have ever owned or shot have been good looking rifles, and never once failed to function properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own 3 Ruger Mark ll's for quite a few years (.308, .243 & 7×57 Mauser). These are great guns for the money. I am a reloader and with the right loads, my .243 and 7×57 are both extremely accurate out to 200 yds. and beyond. I am still trying to find the right combination to have the .308 perform as well. My only gripe would be that the triggers on Mark ll's are a bit heavy & creepy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They're good but not great rifles

If you are a typical hunter who might shoot a deer within 100 yards this is all you will ever need.

If you want to stretch the distances and accuracy criteria out to 200 yards and beyond this might not be the best choice for you.
200 yrds? My guess is this guy is kidding. My M77 Scout in 450 Bushmaster is good for 200-250 yrds in my hands and I'm a piss poor shot with peepers pushing 60yr old. The bushy is a short range cartridge and any deer within 200 yrds is within my M77 or RA range. My other M77 calibers with longer legs I expect better of. Even my Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster slays milk jugs at 250 and that as far as I have pushed it.
Just my experience.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts