Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the medallion without damage, so you can get to pistol grip cap screw? Does it take a special tool? I don't want to damage plastic with the finish stripper I use on stock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Grip cap

Most of the ones I have encountered are put on with something like RTV. Carefully try to go under the cap with a blunt thin object and try to lift it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,but your suggestion is not working so far, if I pry any harder I'm afread I'll bust the cap. This rifle is about 20yrs. old and the owners manual schematic shows a screw under the Ruger medallion that holds the grip cap on, but dosent say how to get to it. Maybe it can't be done w/o damage. Thanks anyway. Sixbyfive

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got it (and the cap) off my Ranch rifle (synthetic stock,) but it was difficult to say the least. The cap is held on with a screw, then the medalion pressed / glued on after that. To get to the screw, you will probably have to drill / destroy the medalion. You MIGHT get away with drilling a small hole near the edge of the medalion and then pry it off, but you'd be left with the hole. If you can stand to drill / break it off, I'm sure Ruger would sell you a new one. I know that this isn't much help, but I don't think you have many other choices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruger pistol grip medallion

Thanks Paul C. I come to the conclusion I won't be able to save the original medallion, which was the whole intent. Win some , lose some. Learn by doing and asking. Located new one at Numrich Gun Parts. Going to experiment a little to see if I can still get it w/o much if any damage. Just the engineer in me I guess. we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Grip cap

Sorry, meant to say to pry under the medallion, not the cap. If nothing else, Brownells has the grip cap w/medallion for a low price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ruger grip cap medalions

I own several m-77's and also do repair and refinishing work on them...The best way to remove the little white center with the black Ruger eagle is to use a sharp punch and pierce the white part,pry it out and order one from Ruger...... I think they're about $.50 each...You will save time and might even save the cost of a new grip cap, if you break it trying to save the centerpiece... just the way I've learned to do it..The little white piece is expendable.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruger M77 Pistol Grip Medallion

Got it out with no damage. " used hairdryer set on low heat, sharpe thin blade X-acto knife and gently pried out" that was on my sons rifle. Now we'll try it on my brother-in-laws rifle, o-boy-o-boy"""""sweat-sweat. We will see what happens this time "by crackey" Thanks Fellers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts