close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger Mark III vs 22/45

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by graymeme, Feb 12, 2010.

1. graymeme

graymeme G&G Newbie

I am shopping for a Ruger 22 cal pistol and am looking at the Mark III and the 22/45. I like the looks of the 22/45, but want to get the most bang for my dollars. I would appreciate any feedback on these two pistols.

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

this is really a matter of which one "fits" you best in terms of hand to grip fit, weight, balance, sight picture, trigger pull, etc.

What is right for you might not be right for me.

Make your own choice based on your comfort level with the gun.

3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

If you look hard, you may find a Mark I target model, which came in various iterations, just like the Mark II and Mark III. Personally, I prefer the 6 7/8" tapered barrel for the balance and sight radius. Look around before you buy. The things are pretty hard to wear out, they just suffer from some cosmetic wear if they get thrown in a tackle box or some such. You might find a great shooting gun for a really good price.

4. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

Differences between the MK II or MK III and the 22/45 are shrinking for me. With the availability of a 22/45 frame that takes 1911 wood grips, I might be tempted to get one myself. I already have two MK IIIs and a MK II. With the plastic integral grips, the thing felt too narrow to me, but it is just a matter of personal preference.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Yep, it's gonna depend on the size of your hand !!

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

The 22/45 is popular with the 1911 shooters, cheap practice. If you mill the cast grips off and install real 1911 grips it has the identical grip profile as the 1911.

7. jezepa

jezepa G&G Newbie

Ruger 22/45 4 inch bull barrel

This is the 3rd Ruger I have owned. Gave up shooting 20 years ago and got rid of my Mk11 like a fool, I live in Ma. and all hand guns must be Ma. compliant. Getting back into shooting I bought a ruger target bull barrel 5.5 inch. Great gun but heavy for my bad shoulder (sucks to get old) I always shot in the 80s with my ruger before giving it up. with the heavy MK111 I could only shoot in the 70s. (arm would start shaking) I bought the 22/45 bull barrel 4 inch hopeing to get the accuracy with it. After looking at what was avaliable to me this was a good choice as it is almost a pound lighter. Sighting it in on a rest at 50 feet I shot a 92, the first target one hand a 79, second target a 82. It can only get better from here. That day I played with different ammo hi velocity and std velocity everything worked perfect. I couldn't be happer with these guns.
    Hope this is info is helpfull, it is a super gun for the money!!

8. SwedeSteve

I have a MK I, MKII, and a MK III. For some reason, I still shoot best with the MK II. I like your idea for the grip mod mcb !! What do the grips screw into ?? Tell me more...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  9. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have the Mark III Hunter, and all I can tell you is that it is ridiculously accurate right out of the box. The most accurate pistol I own and perhaps have even shot.

10. SwedeSteve

ACFixer- What kind of sights does your Hunter have on it ??

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted