Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a mini-14.I love it.but here my questions.the weapon came with scope mounts.They are "low rise".I am need to purchase a scope for this rifle.It needs to be economical and dependable.i plan on using it for whitetail hunting.before you cring or laugh i have a friend that has killed several white tail with his mini-14.I also need suggestions on factory rounds for whitetail hunting.i dont plan to be shooting more than a 150 yards.The reason i am using this rifle is because of its wieght and friends recommendation.Thanks for input

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Hmm...scope i would say a low power probably even a fixed 4x would work, i woudl go 2-7x40 or 3-9x40. I had a bushnell 3-9x40 on my mini 14 when i had it and it worked great. Not sure about factory ammo for deer.

Ok here is a link to some ammo

Federal Vital Shok Ammunition P223Q, 223 Remington, Nosler Partition, 60 GR, 3160 fps, 20 Rd/bx

Although that ammo is probably the best i would probably really just get whatever is the best out of your gun, so look for some other types but the nosler partition is supposed to be great....

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I agree with sell. Make sure your scope is on correctly. Take her to the range, and see what she shoots best.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks sell33
Not a problem....Just search around and fine any cxp2 class ammo, most major ammo makers say it right on the box. Find the most accurate in your gun. I am from ohio and can't deer hunt with a rifle, but i have an uncle that does in michigan now and then and his hunting buddies use 223 and 22-250 and headshoot them, thats probably what i would personally do with a 223. Of course my uncle uses a 300 wby mag and they don't move anymore:D lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello Sell33, I have a mini 14 in 223 as well. I like the black hills ammo in 52 hollow point. If you have the little gun shooting well a neck shot out 150 yds is no problem.
I can shoot consistent groups at 100 yds of 1 1/2 inches and somedays better. I have killed many whitetails in Arkansas with the 223.
Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
My old mini would not do it either, but I bought one of the 580 series and it shoots better than I can. I am going to put optics on it shortly and see if I can do better.
The good groupings is from a rest, good ammo, no wind.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts