Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the greatest gun ever I have had my mini 14 for over a year now and it has never once had any problem. I take good care of it but it takes even better care of me.

My friends with AR's and SKS's have functioning problem few and far in between but I have never had any problem. Even aftermarket mags function well in it.

Best of all with the .223 It can be used for any thing. From cows to rabbits cheap and powerful.

Over all it is a great gun just a little loud. But there are the least ammount of restrictions on these than any other semi auto.

Get one before they are outlawed.

otto

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The Ranch Rifle

Howdy ottos,

I have been doin some looking into the Mini 14. I know it has it's roots in the M-1 Garand. How well does it shoot for you in terms of accuracy? I am looking to pick up a good hunting rifle for brush country for Whitetails and have heard many good things about the gun, but not how accurate it is. What do you suppose you could group at 50 yards? 100 yards?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Figure on combat accuracy. You will get three inch groups at 100 yards out of the box. The triggers are heavy, so accuracy can be improved by refining the trigger. There are numerous places that sell really cool accessories for the Mini's including accuracy enhancing products.

My first deer was dropped with a Mini at about 60 yards. 55gr Soft Point did the trick with one shot.

I love the guns personally.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,220 Posts
I've had a Ranch Rifle for almost 7 YEARS now and have YET to shoot it! Promised myself to shoot the heck out of it this summer!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The only problem I have ever had with my mini is a sore thumb from loading the mag...

Accuracy will run between 11/2 to 3" range with the mini, they are not made as target rifle's they are made to get the job done and that they do...

·
Registered
241 Posts
HA! you hope it's that good. I sold my POS Mini after years of handloading to find a load that would consistently group under four inches. Spent the money on an AR and never looked back. The Bushy consistently shoots 1.25 inches or less with any milsurp ammo. Heck most Romanian SAR-3s shoot better than Mini-14s and they only cost $260.

I'm not alone, either. Most of the guys in my club who own Minis are happy when they can get 5 rounds into four inches at 100 yards. Ten rounds? Hey, that only a dream.

Originally posted by oneastrix
Figure on combat accuracy. You will get three inch groups at 100 yards out of the box.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Well FalPhil.....I never had a problem with mine in regards to combat accuracy. However I do agree with you in the AR's. I too have a Bushmaster and love it. It will do things that the Mini won't.

For Mini's check out www.drccustomgunsites.com

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Aw heck.....I tried the link above and his web site is down. It's for Daves Custom Guns in the Dallas area. He does some great thing with the Mini's....Really neat to look at.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
i dont own a mini-14 ,but wanted to mention that a couple years ago i read an article in guns and ammo (i think?) one guy accurized his mini and one thing he did was shorten the barrel by two inches! he went into details about how ruger barrel making procedures had a fault in the last couple inches in the barrel. dont remember the details but it was very interesting! his groups at 100 yards went from 4" to i believe under two inches.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I don't know about the newer ones but the older mini 14's were not that great. The barrel being strapped to the forestock was not one of Ruger's better designs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I am a serioius handloader that loves experimentation, and I tried everything I knew and then some. I even looked into the mods that some of the gunsmiths were offering. When you consider the cost of the mods, you end up spending as much as you would on a Bushy and you still have a sow's ear, not a silk purse. Anyway, I moved on to MAS 49/56s which respond quite well to tailored ammo, if you can find the correct diameter projectile.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
whirlwind....i believe that was the same article I read about the gunsmith I was talking about. That's where I learned about the guy. Chops the barrel down a couple on inches and then permanently attaches a muzze break to get it back up to specs or something like that....

Fal...that's exactly right. With the mods you end up paying the same as a Bushmaster. I got my Bushmaster on dept letter head though so I got a great deal on it. Perks man, perks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I have not replyed for a while I never got that anyone replyed in my email.

I love my mini. But above some one mentioned problems with accuracy and it helped with the accuracy removing the last 2 inches. I read on the internet from a former ruger person that it was because of the way the front sight was attached.

My mini is an accuritized on from Accuracy systems in Arora Co. Carl did a great job. I am not a sharp shooter but I can easly shoot a 2 inch pattern at 150+ yards.

It will cost you though. Mine was $1330 with every thing. I have a heavy barrel 9/10 in. They take the whole gun apart and work it over slides much smoother than one out of the box.

Also to improve your accuracy I would recomend a pistol grip stock. I was shooting probably 3 in at 100 yards. The pistol grip smoothed me out a lot. I would recomend a buttle Creek

And for accuracy for repeating fire. I got a flashhidder that has only slots at the top it holds the gun down good in repeated firing I can shoot with in a 12in @ 30 yards

Aftermarket mags get a bad rap but I have USA and PMI mags that preform just as well as the factory mags. The only problem I have had with the USA mags is when I take a loaded mag out of the gun the top shell tries to fall out. Though I have shot 100's of rounds with the usa mags and they function fine.

hope I have helped otto

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have to ask though....and I love the Mini14....but $1330 total on a Mini14? Good Lord man......that's a bunch of money!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Hmm, pistol grip, >thousand dollar price tag... Sounds like you're paying out your nose to make it more like an AR, and with less accuracy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes $1330. I had a heavy stainless steal barrel 30 rounds as fast as possible dose not even get it warm. I guess it is all what you like.

I also am very happy with the few restrictions on the mini. It is the best kind of postban gun to have. The only thing you cannot have on a post ban mini is a folding stock. Most postban semi autos as they are known "assult rifles" cannot have a flash hidder, yet with a mini it is no problem.

My friend has an AR 15 and I can shoot just as good or better. The best part about a mini is that if you take the 30 round mag off, put in a 5 or 10 round mag in it and put a scope on it will pass for a regular rifle. An AR can't shake the assult look

It would probably make you freak if you knew how much I spent on collecting high capasity ruger mags for it.

later
otto

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a Mini made in 1976....stamped "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" on the side of the receiver.........

G

·
Originally posted by BattleRifleG3
Hmm, pistol grip, >thousand dollar price tag... Sounds like you're paying out your nose to make it more like an AR, and with less accuracy.
there are some nice pre ban Minis hitting the market...I wonder if they are prison guard turn ins or police dept trade ins :assult:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Originally posted by Logansdad
there are some nice pre ban Minis hitting the market...I wonder if they are prison guard turn ins or police dept trade ins :assult:
just curious, but what dealers has the trade ins???

1 - 20 of 48 Posts