Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off before I ask which is better, I need to nkow if the ruger minni14 can shoot the 5.56 nato round? I ask this because I want to have the ability to shoot both 5.56 and the .223 cartridge. Now for the main question what would be a better purchase a Ruger minni 14 or a ar15 type firearm? I have been told that if I want a gun that shoots the .223 round I should just spend a little more and get a ar15 type platform. How ever ar15(type) platforms are a pain to clean and I like the looks of the minni14 action. So which is most reliable? My other problem is that in order to purchase an ar15 platform I would have to spend at least 1400 to get what I would want. The ruger minni14 is cheaper, and can be modified to what I like for less money but again its not worth it if the ar15 platform is better. So please any and all information is appreciated.

Also I know an answer will be buy both, and I eventualy will. However I have an agrement with my wife I can buy three guns a year, and I wont here any complaints ever about my guns. The sad part is its onlythe end of march and this will be my third purchase.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Firstly, I think most can handle both, if in doubt specify 5.56 calibre then you definitely can shoot both.

As someone who has had both but now only has the AR, I'd have to say the AR!! (but I do also, have the full sized M14/m1A)

Cleaning, I reckon that the AR is easier to clean, especially the barrel.

It is so easy to upgrade the A15; if you've got an understanding wife then you can always get a new upper or two every year, and they're not really a gun, so even less hassle from her.

You can get a real nice service match grade rifle for $1200 which should shoot under 1/2 moa, and with $1400 something a bit better.

So my money is on the AR platform.

Let us know what the final decision is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go with the AR-15 man ! You can change out the upper to say 6.8 SPC without buying another gun so you can keep the 3 gun rule ! I have a Mini-14 and would trade it off any day for the AR !

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The only argument for the mini14 I have ever heard is the high sight on the AR at close ranges causing problems. Otherwise I have heard repeatedly the mini14's are less reliable and less accurate. I may be biased though, I don't own a mini14
:hitwithrock:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
My Mini 14 was the most reliable piece of crap I ever owned. AR15!!!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The only argument for the mini14 I have ever heard is the high sight on the AR at close ranges causing problems. Otherwise I have heard repeatedly the mini14's are less reliable and less accurate. I may be biased though, I don't own a mini14
:hitwithrock:
Mini-14 less reliable? Mine never jammed, gobbled up any handload I threw together for it over a 20 year period.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am no expert but I do have both. They both have their disadvantages and their disadvantages.

The question is WHAT are you getting it for?

Gonna Carry it all day long and shoot at stuff <50yds maybe the mini is the way to go.

Gonna sit still and shoot at stuff >200yds AR.

I have a Rock River 20" bull barrel. There is NO WAY my wife will be toting that thing if TSHTF but she could carry the Mini without a problem.

Choice is easy.

Buy one of each like I did :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am no expert but I do have both. They both have their disadvantages and their disadvantages.

The question is WHAT are you getting it for?

Gonna Carry it all day long and shoot at stuff <50yds maybe the mini is the way to go.

Gonna sit still and shoot at stuff >200yds AR.

I have a Rock River 20" bull barrel. There is NO WAY my wife will be toting that thing if TSHTF but she could carry the Mini without a problem.

Choice is easy.

Buy one of each like I did :)
yeah probably eventualy just which one first lol. No I think im sold on the AR and im going to wait for a used minni 14 to pop up. That way if I dont like it I can sell it for as much as I paid for it.:09:

·
Registered
54 Posts
AR-15 or Mini-14

Howdy,

I got both, and both have gobbled up all mfgrs of ammo. I thought about my wife using the Mini-14, but have decided the M-1 carbine is better. It has a lighter caliber bullet(easy on shoulder), but knock down power of a .45. I have a DPMS, with a 24" bull barrel. If your still interested in the Mini-14, email me at [email protected].

John Krzos

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i cant realy say because i have never shot an ar15 but i have shot a mini 14 and its a great gun a thrill to shoot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts