Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new brush gun and would like to stay away from the levers. I found a nice used .308 ruger MK II compact today and could not believe how small this thing was. My question is does anyone have any experience with this rifle. I know that ballistically it has to suffer due to the 16.5 in barrel. Would it still be a deer slayer out to 200 yds? any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks that is what I needed to know. I was just a little amazed that this thing only had a 16.5 in barrel and that factory ammo would only be at about 2400 at the muzzle.

2400 at the muzzle my guesstimation.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have shot a couple of these. They are surprisingly accurate. Barrel heats up fast, and they start to walk their hits. Other than that, no problems noted. Nice light hunting rifle.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I bought one in 223. Fooled around with the thing for a couple months sold it joyfully. Could not find a load it would shoot. I thought I was shooting my old mini 14! The LOP was hard to get used to so I put a slip on butt pad on it. Finally after every brand of ammo I could find and several reloads with out so much as a 2" group (most were 3+) I sold it. I even had a shooting buddy shoot it to see if the gun just didn't like me. I know Ruger bolt guns are accurate. My No. 1 will drive tacks but this little compact was not a good shooter.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i bought the rifle and took it to the range today. all i can say is holy crap.. i cannot believe how accurate this thing is for being so small. it had about a half of an inch drop more than my weatherby 308 at 250 yds, but thats it. I can deal with that since I try to limit my shots on all game to 200yds. anyway for anyone that has been looking at this rifle but had doubts, i am here to tell you at least in 308 with 150gr nosler ballistic tips and 47.5grs of 706 it is deadly. You will have to wear your sun screen though, quite a muzzle flash but not annoying, just cool.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Glad to hear you had great success! Restores my faith in Ruger. I must have just gotten a lemon. Looking back on it when I tried to float the barrel (stock contacted barrel badly.) I could not break the mounting screws loose. I even took it to a gunsmith buddy of mine who tried to break them loose as well to no avail. So, instead of sinking the extra money into it I sold it and bought a remington 700

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jaeger,
I had owned a Ruger Compact in .308 shortly after they came out. It is a very fast handling little rifle and very capable to take deer. The velocity loss is a factor, but not enough to keep it from performing. The only criticism I can think of is that the rifle being only 6lbs. tends to kick quite a bit with larger bullets shot from the bench. I never noticed the recoil when I was standing and shooting at game. I used a Leupold 2.5-8 scope on it, which fit the short rifle perfectly. Overall a great rifle, one that I wished I had never traded in.
Don

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problem, as for the recoil call me a wuss but i fit all my rifles with limb-saver el-cheapo slip on recoil pads and the recoil was very manageable.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
WUSS WUSS WUSS! I use the pachymayr slip ons. They are softer. Sure tamed my 03A3. I, as you, do not like to be in pain when shooting my rifles from the bench. I have also been known to carry a small pillow with me and shoot with them between the rifle and my shoulder. Shooting at game I do not mind the recoil. I am focused on something else. I guess...one wuss to another. :09:

·
Banned
38 Posts
I own a Ruger compact in 308 and I love it. GREAT RIFLE. Very accurate. I have won many a bet with it against longer barrelled rifles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts