Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. After thinking about it and taking all of your advice I have decided to purchase a Ruger MKIII 22/45 .22 handgun. My last question about this issue is that it comes in 2 types of barrels: stainless steel, and the normal factory black barrel (material unknown). The stainless steel costs more but looks cooler. Is there any other advantages to the stainless steel barrel other than looks? Which should I purchase? Thanx.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
The other barrel

The other barrel is chrome-moly steel which is a superior grade of steel. It is up to you what you purchase, but, if you keep your gun properly cleaned, oiled, and stored in a high quality pistol case you would have very little need for stainless steel. Note: stainless steel will rust and does need care so if you go stainless do not deliberately neglect the gun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What nathangdad said.

And the black barrel looks badass!

Good Choice in a 22 there. I have an MKII 22/45. Word of advice - buy a 22 caliber Bore Snake. It makes cleaning the barrel much much easier without having to disassemble the gun.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
.22's tend to get put away dirty. I'm obsessive about cleaning everything else, but my .22's don't get the tear down the other get. A shot of compressed air in the action and a few passes with a bore snake is about it. SS is a bit more resistant to rust and corrosion, but I think I went SS because I liked the looks better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts