Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble with 300 win mag. cartridges being too long in a 77 ruger. I had some trouble with 180gr. Federal factory rounds. Now I am trying to reload Nosler 180gr. accubonds, and the manual says not to seat bullets to 3.340" as they will be too deep. I tried some and 3.345" will barely clear. Anyone with any experience or information on this matter? I will appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The .300win mag was designed to utilise the standard .30-06 action.3.340 is about all you can get in oal.For handloaders this is a problem usually fixed by opening the port to work with an oal of 3.360.Any good gunsmith can do this.When they designed bullets with a higher BC,longer ogive and such the problem showed up.Opening the ejection port was the answer to that.The other problem is the 1in10"twist doesnt lead to stability with longer,more aerodynamic bullets with high BC.A 1in9"twist is the answer to that.One other thing,I would assume the bullet you are trying to use was designed for the longer cartridges like the STW or .300RUM.The .300winmag has the shoulder pushed forward for more powder capacity meaning a shorter neck and less seating depth. sam.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bullet I am trying to use is Noslers 180 gr Accubond. Yes it does have a long ojive. I have contacted Nosler and they claim the 3.340 length will be just fine with the Accubond bullet. The longer seating depth was in referance to their older 180 gr partition style bullet which has a longer ojive. Thanks for the reply and info. it is nice to have data from multiple scources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts