ruger no 1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by steve ruscoe, May 18, 2008.

1. steve ruscoe

steve ruscoe Guest

hi i shoot a ruger number 1 in 45/70 and wondered if anyone out there uses one on a regular basis

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I do not, but I have a buddy that shoots his all the time and loves it!

3. turner

turner Guest

Steve, I don't have a #1 in 45/70, but I sure wish I did! I do have a #1A in 7x57 and a #1RSI in .270 and use both a good bit. They are for certain one of my favorite rifle types and as enjoyable to look at as they are to shoot.

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I had a Ruger no 1 in 220 swift and it was one of my all time favorite rifles. Nothing can compare to a no. 1 in beauty and shootability. Every day I regret selling it.

5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Can't go wrong with a Ruger #1, they are very stout, well built firearms, and look great too. I have also seen plenty of Ruger #1's outshoot similarly priced bolt action rifles!

6. I've been shooting my Ruger #1 .45-70 for about 15 years now. I use it (less often now) for blackpowder cartridge competitions and general range shooting.

I reload, of course. My BP load is simple: a nearly-full case of Triple Seven or Pyrodex R compressed with a 320 gr cast bullet. I've used a 420 gr. bullet in past years (very accurate) but the recoil was significant from the lightweight Ruger.

My general range load is equally simple: 24 grains of 2400 powder with a gas-checked 320 gr. lead bullet and a wad of dacron to hold the powder in place. This load is accurate at 100 yard and is mild enough for all-day shooting.

I've shot a few of those "Buffalo" factory loads as well. WOW! A very hot load. I've also shot the Remington factory load - a good load for whitetail deer.

7. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    I started to buy one a while back in 308 at the gun show. Should have grabbed it then.

8. SwedeSteve

I had a No 1 in 257 Roberts, and it was hands down the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. LikeTex, I deeply regret trading that rifle away!

9. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

I have a #3 in .45-70. It is very accurate, capable of shooting handloads into one-hole 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Being much lighter than a #1, it does kick a bit. I'll take it out for elk if I draw a tag this year.

10. I shoot a #3 in .45-70. Love it. Does kick a bit. It's a hunter though and i never feel recoil w/animal in sights. Can't see open sights anymore so I scoped it and am now shooting hornady Leverevolution. This suff will suprise you @ the increase in trajectory. easy out to 250 yrs.
    rfc357 I am hoping to do the elk thing with it this year also.
    Enjoy,
    Single shot

11. SwedeSteve

Man, now I gotta go look for #1's !!

12. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

Single shot, I'll have to try the Hornady ammunition. But first, I'll have to overcome my aversion to opening my wallet for factory ammunition!

My #3 does not have a scope right now. However, if I get serious about taking it hunting, I'll have to dig up a nice 4x. I can see the sights at the range, but not in the woods. What a fun little rifle.

13. They are just cool to shoot. I first got into the 45-70 when Dad gave me a winchester 94 in 38-55 - Light quick pointing longun fun. Between that and the 50cal black powder i fell in love with the bigger bore rifles. Then along came a nice little light carbine looking ruger #3 for a ok price so I jumped on it. Now that is my favorite rifle to shoot. I reload my handgun ammo but just really like the way this stuf flies. When it gets there is does what its supposed to do. It look like a xtp bullet with a plastic front - 325 grains.

14. navy_vet

navy_vet G&G Newbie

#1 45/70 here to. Have not shot it for awhile but it shot pretty good, tried to work up some hand loads but never got anything to do much better than factory loads.

15. I want 1 in 405 winchester.

16. What I neglected to say in my post was (hornaday Leverevolution makes this little rifle shoot 200 250 yrs and still does it's stuff when it gets there.)

Sorry thought you could read my mind
    Single Shot

17. cordell

cordell G&G Newbie

Hello all,
    I have 2 Ruger #1B's and am in "love" with one and in "like" with the other. My .223 will shoot .443" (@100yds), now that I found out what it likes to shoot!!! However I have not found that magic load for my 25-06. The best group so far is 1.15 at @100yds and I know it is capable of doing better. Like most of you have stated they are nice looking guns and have a great feel to them. I also shoot the 45-70 and have for 40+ years, it is probably one of my favorite cartridges to load (and the easiest:)). But that is fodder for another forum. Take care and God bless.

18. old re ldr

old re ldr Guest

I've been loading for a #3 a long time now and the 2 loads that have worked really well for me are 14.5 grs. of unique for a 100 yd. target load,and 39 grs. of IMR 4198 for a deer load. I use the same 300 gr. rcbs bullet for both. The bullet is a little light for the caliber but we've never found one in a deer.Faster isn't always better I guess.