close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger or Glock

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by Cyclops, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I'm looking for a beater gun (as mentioned in another thread) & it has been suggested I look at these two mfg for what I'm looking for. I have experience w/ Glock, but have only shot Ruger revolvers. What is the general consensus of Ruger semi autos? :hmmm:

PS...i'm looking for something in a compact 45, if that helps at all.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Most excellent is my concenus! I have a stainless P95DC with the polymer frame. Light ,accurate, inexspensive...I think I paid $350 with tax and such. It will accept the old P-Series 15 rd clips.

3. NRAJOE

The P95DC is 9mm, I had the .45 ruger and did not like the way it shot. Too violent with that polymer frame, maybe one of the older steel frames.

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the ruger is an excellent gun for the money, if you can tolerate the mushy trigger.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    had a P-90 .45 once. Liked it a lot. Traded in for 1911 so I could customize.

6. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I carry Glock mostly, but I too own a P95DC just like NRA Joe's. it was my first duty weapon back when i worked the TX/Mexico border. Can't go wrong with the Ruger at all.

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Glock 36 is smaller with a better trigger...easier to maintain...far more corrosion resistant...Ruger isn't a bad gun though...

8. artnkaren

artnkaren G&G Newbie

Ruger P95

Hi,
    Have a Ruger P95 in 9mm and it is a great shooter and is very comfortable and easy to get used to. Can't go wrong IMHO. Using some NORMA 9mm, 115gr. ammo right now and it's great in this gun.:nod:

9. When it's all said and done, I think any handgun under $300 ought to have a very well-defined role. I am not suggesting that any gun under a certain amount is @#$%, and all handguns over same amount are "good." What I mean is that the more economical guns all represent $80-$250 that could have gone elsewhere...

I figure that I can only reasonably shoot and maintain 5 handguns max. More don't get the practice hours, etc. I am interested in collecting, but I must admit that I don't really understand what is meant by a "beater" handgun. I own some "beater" rifles, but they start at $50, not $100. C&R rifles seem a lot more practical...

I am not trying to put the whole idea down out of hand, but I realized that it wasn't for me when handguns are treated so differently from long guns.

10. NRAJOE

"Beater" is the same as a toss around. Throw it under your pickup truck seat, throw it in a backpack, tacklebox, and don't worry about it . Don't have to be pretty, but its gotta work!

11. I have a P90 (a sweetie), and a Springfield Armory XD-40 Tactical. Bothe fine guns. The XD spends a lot of time in dirtier parts of the car. The P90 stays at home w/Hydra-Shoks in it.

12. Beater Gun?????

I would not use either a Glock or a Ruger for a beater gun!! I have a KP95DC and a G36. Both are treated with all the care they deserve!! If you want a beater gun, I would get one of those $99 Makarovs!! Not that the Mak is a "bad" gun in any way. I have several of them, but it was designed to be used in Siberia. It has to be tough!! :cool:

13. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

denfoote - those "$99 Makarovs" are $199 here in the PRK! :nod: