Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first rifle and I am trying to narrow down. I am looking at the...
Remington Seven and the....
Ruger MKII and the....
M77 Hawkeye.
(all in .270)

Are there any others I should consider? (I like the look of the black barrel with dark wood grain.)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Are you looking for a rifle in .270win or .270wsm? They both have similar ballistics, the .270 winchester short magnum has a shorter action pull (because of the shorter cartridge), but has a smaller magazine capacity and more expensive ammo.

If you want the traditional .270win, then the Remington Seven would not be the way to go, mainly because the Remington Seven isn't chambered for the .270win.

Ruger makes a very nice firearm, but I prefer Remington more. It's my opinion, and I think both Ruger and Remington would do a great job.

I have no idea what you plan on spending, but the Remington Seven is the same price as the Remington M700 CDL, but the M700 will give you greater range and accuracy due to the longer barrel. I'd recommend the M700 CDL if you want a nice .270 rifle:

Remington Model 700™ CDL™

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Of the two, go with the Remington.

Check out the Weatherby Vanguard or the Browning A-bolt.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I shoot a 270 win. in the remington 770 it is a good gun, both remington and ruger are hard to beat, i have shot both and accuracy wise both shot bout the same to me, guess its a matter of personal preferance

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking for a rifle in .270win or .270wsm? They both have similar ballistics, the .270 winchester short magnum has a shorter action pull (because of the shorter cartridge), but has a smaller magazine capacity and more expensive ammo.

If you want the traditional .270win, then the Remington Seven would not be the way to go, mainly because the Remington Seven isn't chambered for the .270win.

Ruger makes a very nice firearm, but I prefer Remington more. It's my opinion, and I think both Ruger and Remington would do a great job.

I have no idea what you plan on spending, but the Remington Seven is the same price as the Remington M700 CDL, but the M700 will give you greater range and accuracy due to the longer barrel. I'd recommend the M700 CDL if you want a nice .270 rifle:

Remington Model 700™ CDL™
I am wanting to go with the .270win. That Remington 700 looks just like what I want. Any idea how much I can get one for?

(Or are there any other rifle options?)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
A personal opinion,I would be leary of Remington until I saw what they are going to do in warrantee and quality control since they were purchased by the new company.So far it doesnt sound good.There is a substancial difference in .270win,and .270wsm.About 200fps and better trajectory for the WSM. sam.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
lorcin25 I own a new RugerHawkeye in 308 and it is bullet hole accurate.
If you like the idea of a target trigger and Mauser style action overall great looks I recommend the Ruger.
The Remington is one of the best Rifles in the World as far as I'm concerned and you couldn't go wrong with one of them either.
I bought the Ruger because of the mauser action, new trigger and the hammer forged barrels.
Remingtons barrels are hammer fordged too though.
You best get on the phone and make some calls because the prices are low(sales)
due to hunting season and Christmas is around the corner.
Which ever one you choose Rem/Ruger there both excellent guns...A.H

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
While we're at it, the Tikka T3 Hunter is a real beauty:

Beretta

You said you want a wood stock, but a nice composite stock is the S&W iBolt:

Product: i-Bolt Rifle - Black

Buy one and you can get a Sigma Handgun for $100 :) Holiday Special Offers - Smith & Wesson

But seriously, I personally would get the Remington. I own quite a few Remingtons, and they are all amazing rifles. Remington did just get bought out, but I still feel that their name and the product hasn't changed. They're actually offering a nice variety of products now, and the prices are not bad.

The Remington 700 CDL will run you about $700 though. The Tikka, also a nice gun, can be found cheaper ($500-600)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I own both remington and ruger rifles I think they are both good companies making quality fire arms, and you will not go wrong with either. That said I now do most of my big game hunting with a ruger MKII in 300 win mag. with stainless steel and laminate stock, good for the weather I am sometimes in). just love that rifle and it has been a very sturdy, dependable firearm for me. It has never let me down plus the wife gave ti to me for my birthday several years ago.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
.270 over the new short cartridges

Go with the traditional .270 that is firmly entrenched in the marketplace. The new squat cartridges may or may not make it in the marketplace. Personally, other than a gimmick to sell something, I do not know why they make the new squat cartridges.

Either Remington or Ruger would be an excellent choice. I suggest you go to a number of gun dealers to shoulder various guns in the pursuit of what really matches you in terms of balance, weight, etc. A rifle in many ways is not that different from an article of clothing for which you wish to find a fit.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Remington and Ruger both make solid rifles but I'd personally go with the Remington.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Rob I've spent so much money for guns/ammo and other needs a camara will be awhile in comeing.
But when I do get one they'll be lots of pictures.
I bought the Syn/Stainless model and put a Matte Black Burris scope on it.
The stainless is non glare or matted.
Though the gun as far as I'm concearned is PERFECT I may see what I can trade it for towards a Browning BLR in .358 thats what I really wanted and I am a LeverAction fan.
I don't mind takeing a loss to get what I really want, but I do honestly and highly reccomend the Haweye model.
My problem is like other gunnuts I can't get the BLR off my mind and I've got to have one...LOL...A.H

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have not personally owned one, but they have a Vanguard Sub MOA that they guarantee to shoot less than 1" at 100 yards - sounds good to me. I have read all good things about them. The Vanguard, A-bolt and maybe a few other rifles have to have to safety off (fire)to cycle the rounds out of the chamber. I have owned an A-bolt for years without this being problem, but having also owned Remington's and Winchesters that allow an unload with the safety on - I like the ability to unload will the rifle is on safe. Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts