Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I am a newcomer to the forum so bear with me here, haha. I am lookin for a .357 for a sidearm while huntin, home protection, and target shootin also. I want a .357 because of its versatility with .38 sp loads also i am looking for one with a 4" barrel again for versatility of comfortable carrying without compromising too much accuracy. I have done some research but dont know how reliable it is. I have come to believe that overall the S&W model 686 is the best, then the colt python, then the ruger, respectively. I am just wondering from owners or people who have shot and tested any of these guns what their opinions are. I have shot my uncles python and boy is that baby sweeeeet, but i have no other experience with these caliber guns to compare it to. I would basically like some general info such as reliability, trigger pull, comfort, recoil, accuracy, reliability, different load info, and anything else! I want to know as much info as i can to make the right choice because this is a big decision in my mind, price info might be nice too and maybe something about holsters. Thanks a lot and happy shootin.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the ruger gp-100 is a good pistol for the money. the colt python is the cadillac of 357magnums, a fine pistol but you will pay for it. i personally dont like smith's so i wont comment on them.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
well the only .357 i own is a S&W M19 4 inch tube. always done what its supposed to do.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
What are you looking at hunting with it? Is it a backup arm while you hunt with a rifle? For east coast critters a 357 would seem like a good idea. Going north or west I'd look up to a 44. But 357 is definitely the way to go for protection.

I really shouldn't talk though because I don't have a wheelgun and I've never technically hunted. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey battle, im using it as a backup for boar while bowhunting and i will prob load it with 180 gr .357s for that. a good high power load should do the trick. I already have a S&W .44 mag so i use that for bigger game.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,465 Posts
I have a Ruger .357 myself, and really like it (older Security Six), but I have always lusted for a nice Colt Python.
From what I've read elsewhere the S&W can be smoothed up like a Python, by a good 'smith - but the Colt comes that way from the factory.

All three are very good guns - it really comes down to personal preference and what deal you can find pricewise.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Big Dog said:
but I have always lusted for a nice Colt Python.
there are a couple of older guys at our range - they get angsty when anyone asks to touch their pythons (no pun intended) :rolleyes:

G

·
might buy me a Python one day..my Mom has one..really..blued with a six inch barrel :target: she should be locked up in a rubber room with a straight jacket crazy :insane:

·
Registered
630 Posts
My wife says, “Get the Rugerâ€￾!! LOL!! All joking aside. I do not currently own a GP-100, but do have a SP-101. Actually my wife commandeered it several years ago and I get to wave hello to it when she pulls it out to clean it every once in a while. If I could only buy one .357 it would be a GP-100. I have never heard of a GP-100 going out of time, having trigger problems, accuracy problems, etc. If I had the money I’d have one right now in target grey. My wife and I agree, get the Ruger. -UR

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1739&return=Y

·
Registered
586 Posts
My vote is for an L frame S&W, 686. The Ruger dosen't feel good to me, and the python is the most overrated handgun ever made, Not even close to being worth the asking price. A steady diet of heavy loads your planning to use will loosen a python in short order.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Just like Papa G I've also got a Model 19 S&W with a 4 inch barrel. It's a retired Maryland State Police gun. I picked it up after the state went to semi auto's. I've never had any problems with it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,465 Posts
Well, having no direct experience with the S&W designs, that's about to change for me. I recently paid for a worn but still nice S&W Model 17 .22LR revolver. Nice smooth action, superb trigger, and everything I've read of it is all very positive. Gotta pick her up Monday - pesky three-working day waiting period!
If it works out, it could lead me to buying a 'full-size' Smith.
An older one though - from before S&W turned coat. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey dave, not to pry but y do u think the python is overrated. is that from experience or is it just a preference thing. I want to know everything! haha lemme know

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
billhilly7 said:
hey dave, not to pry but y do u think the python is overrated. is that from experience or is it just a preference thing. I want to know everything! haha lemme know
well I guess he's saying that it doesn't handle hot loads very well. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new ruger or S&W - especially given the consequences of Ruger's back-stabbing here in cali.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Colt also thumbs its nose at civilian ownership. Ruger, Colt, and S&W seem to be in the same boat of selling out RKBA.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
Colt also thumbs its nose at civilian ownership. Ruger, Colt, and S&W seem to be in the same boat of selling out RKBA.
hell, I guess everyone just wants to sell guns and make more money - RKBA & ethics take a back seat

·
Registered
586 Posts
Billhilly,
I had a python 6" blue back in the late 70's that shot loose(timing) in less than two years with just average .357 loads nothing really heavy. After that I got a S&W Mod 28 that I've had for 25+ years that has taken over 70K rounds and is still in perfect time. Some of those loads(a lot) were Lee Jurris level hotrods out of the magazines back then(you know young....dumb, etc.). I know three friends with Pythons that mirror my experiance. I was always dumbfounded by the near "black market" prices they used to bring. As far as the Ruger goes I just don't like the feel of the GP-100 in my hand, their double actions just don't fit me. We've all picked up guns that just felt "alive" in the hands, and others that may as well have been a brick. Not right or wrong just personal opinion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Of the three I would take the Python but you might want to consider a Colt King Cobra. The heaviest mid frame revolver out there. Not as accurate as the Python, but better and stronger than the other two.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts