Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Yep, love my P95 stainless decocker model! Toooo coooool! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Magnum88C,

Have you tried adding the Hogue Handall grip to your P97 to make the grip bigger? In my case, I had to remove one from my P95 to get a more natural hold on the gun.

--
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alan,

The Hogue Handall grip is a grip sleeve that you "slide" over the existing grip. Slide is somewhat inaccurate since you really have to work it on. Some people dip them in and out of very hot water to get them soft enough to stretch over the grip. First time, I used a hair dryer to keep it warm enough to work on.

The grip itself has palm swells and finger grooves.

--
Mike

·
Registered
934 Posts
Love my P90! I mounted the Hogue grips - wrap around not the slip on. Also installed Tru Dot tritium sites, refit the trigger for that lite/just right double tap operation. I initially shot the P90 side by side with a Glock for comparison, went back to the shop and bought the Ruger! Most of the negatives I've been blasted with are "too big, too heavy". My reply - I don't want a little light .45, the weight helps control it! The last mod will be the ported barrel - and it's on order!

Max

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would love to see an out of the box shoot-off between the P-90 Ruger, S&W 4506, Sig 220, Glock 21, and the Kimber Custom II. Clay Harvey reported similar tests in the early '90's with the Ruger coming out on top, but I'd like to see an up to date test.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
hay guys as a ruger dealer I'm lovein all the advertizin I'm raedin keep shoot em we'll keep sellin um.
the 45's are our hotest selling p-series, its only out done by the number of mkII's and 22/45's.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Shot my KP90 Ruger on Monday. In a 3 shot rapid fire string at 10 meters with Cor-Bon 200gr. +p the group measured 3". The amazing thing: the first double action shot hit the 1/2" blaze orange dot on the bottom center! I pulled the last shot low or they might have clustered! I have only had similar accuracy with a Sig 220 ST. The Ruger KP90 costs just a little less than the Sig 220ST. ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Update: The P-90 I mentioned on the previous page when this thread was first posted was used for trading fodder for the Kimber BP Ten II a few months ago. It was not a bad hand gun, but other than the S&W .22 was one of two non 1911 pistols in the vault.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If ya don't mind a newbie question...

I have been long interested in the P-90, especially after reading several articles singing the paraises of the gun.

What is the difference between the P-90, P-95 and P-97? In reading the specs on Rugers site (albeit quickly reading them) I cannot see much difference...

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Okay

Duh...

In reading your post, and going back to the site...well all I can say is duh!

LOL

BTW, decocker vs safety?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have a P-97 fo many years and have run about 2000 rds through it. I have had one problem with the gun. The factory magazines and others would not stay in the gun when shooting. Taking it apart and replacing the magazine catch and I have had no other problems.

I have also installed a Hogue Handall to the grip and it feels so much better in the hand.

Just my two cents about a fine pistol and I too would like to see this model in a compact model.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Originally posted by Jesse
I find myself gravitating more to the P-90 now. The P-97 is really accurate, but the stories I'm hearing about the slide stop working it's way loose and jamming the slide really concerns me. I personally have never seen this happen, but after testing mine by applying pressure to the opposite side of the slide stop while the slide is moving, I'm convinced it can...
Now that Ruger has corrected the slide release problem, I'm going to reccomend the KP97 again. In the limited IDPA experience I've had, the KP95 (9mm) really holds its own against Glocks in SSP class. The KP97 would probably do pretty well in SSP except that it only holds 8 rounds. I don't think the KP97 would be the best choice in CDP class, since it would compete against 1911s and Sig 220s.

The KP90 is a strong, rugged pistol that makes a fine low cost defense gun. I really like mine, but IDPA is not the sport for it. I've seen it shot in competition. It seems to be slow on the draw and suffers in high speed shooting, I guess because of its ergonomics. The KP97 is better ergonomically. It is a lighter and thinner "commander sized" double action auto.

·
Registered
117 Posts
p97

I had a P97 and some of the comments here make me wonder. One guy said the grip was too small. Wow, I knew I had small hands, but the 97 was too thick for me. Especially with the polymer slide-on. I had the composite model and never had any problems with jamming. It was not a precision instrument, but I always figured that .45 was big enough to not have to be precise. The 1911 has been said to jam occaisionally, and the 97 never did. For $300 I doubt you could find a better duty weapon.

L

·
0 Posts
I put a stainless Ruger P-90 .45ACP on layaway because I can't pass up the price ($325 used) but it looks brand new..I still owe $150 on it :target:

21 - 40 of 84 Posts