Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all, just picked up a p90 a couple months ago and I am in love. The feel in my hand, the weight of a well built hand cannon, and accurate to boot! I've shot Glock's before... if you like the toy gun look. Not for me.
Still trying to find a good CCW holster for it, found a good shoulder rig but that's only good under a jacket. Any ideas?
"If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in ENGLISH, thank a soldier"

·
Registered
1 Posts
NW Shooter

I have owned my P90 for a bit over a year. Shot about 2,000 handloads through it. Tried some +10% after-market springs in the mags to see if that would stop jamming and it did. Replaced the recoil spring a week ago, now, tosses the last round out of the mag, unfired, when ejecting the next to last round fired. Put the factory springs back in, same thing. Also ejecting 30 feet. Using 5.2 grains of Bullseye, 779 fps. Anyone have an idea?
I love my P90. In competition with Kimber, Para, Springfield, I have shot as good groups as any.
.....................and I think's she's pretty.....and I didn't have to hawk my first-born child to pay for it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my first pistol, a Ruger P90 Special Edition, and am interested in some extended clips for it. Anyone have any suggetions on what brands of clips work the best?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've owned a P90 for years now- decided on it when I was shopping around for a .45. I've been very pleased with it and while I am not an expert, I wanted to add my $0.02
The good:
Reasonable price- great entry-level weapon for target or home defense IMHO
Accurate
Comfortable to shoot, even for those of us without huge hands. ;) (I am hardly a petite and delicate flower, but seeing as I'm 3/4 to a full foot shorter than the people I shoot with, there are times when size *does* matter.)
Southpaw-friendly. ( I know this isn't too important for most people unless you're planning on shooting John Woo film style, but as a leftie who manipulates their slide and clip releases with the index finger and the safety with the thumb, convenient placement is very important for me.)

The not-so-good:
After market grips are a MUST- I use the Hogue grips on mine and they suit a variety of hand sizes (see above). However, the stocker grips on this weapon suck- they are uncomfortable and I find that the weapon didn't seem to sit securely until I got my grip, so to speak.
Clip capacity- Weapon came with me from the People's Republic of California and clip is single-stack 7 +1 chambered. If you do a lot of target shooting that means plenty of practice reloading the smaller clips in your sleep! :)
Fiddly re-assembly after stripping and cleaning. Nothing insurmountable, but I've found this weapon to be a bit pickier than other semiautos when you're putting it back together.
Bulky size, while reducing any kick someone may feel, makes this weapon not the most practical choice IMHO for someone with a carry concealed permit unless you happen to be a *big* guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picked up my first P97 when they were first available. Put about 7,500 rounds through it without any problems. Accurate, too. Sold it early last year when I was infected with a very bad case of CZ-itis. Sold a P95, too. Replaced the P95 earlier this year. Tuesday, I replaced the P97. Had it to the range yesterday and put about 300 rounds through it. This one is even more accurate than the first one I owned. No flying slide stop, either. :D

Need to replace the SP101 I sold and it was on the top of my "next gun" list until this morning. Came across a CZ P-01. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

UPDATE: The CZ 75 P-01 won out. :)
--
Mike
I also have BOTH the big brother and little brother.

( P97DC "big brother"...and P95DC " little brother" )

they are accurate shooters...reliable..and easily taken down for cleaning and re-lubing.

no doubt...you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Had a P97 ,got rid of it,shot nasty and wasn't accurate, If ya wanna shoot .45 get a 1911 model of any make any model.

You're just a 1911 honk..................RUGER hit a grand-slam w/ this model........1911's are good yes, but there are other non-1911 configurations that offer similar accuracy, with similar reliability, but better safety.....plz don't offer advice w/o being informed.....

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,197 Posts
No, not really...don't even have a 1911 type handgun and haven't had one in about 9 yrs...just don't like the P97.

Got 2 P95DC's and love them.

And for being informed, I've had over 200 different types of firearms in 40 yrs of shooting...so plz don't offer advice that makes you look like a loudmouth dip...I'm NRAJOE and I approved this smackdown.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
And for being informed, I've had over 200 different types of firearms in 40 yrs of shooting...so plz don't offer advice that makes you look like a loudmouth dip...I'm NRAJOE and I approved this smackdown.[/quote]

This was a paid political announcement
funded by the NRAJOE for president campaign fund.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have a P95 love the gun. The day I oicked her up i put 300 rounds through her MagTech 115gr. Not one ftf. Shot a few founds of Hydra Shock 147gr to get the feel but wow at almost a doller a round not something I will do much of. Ruger makes the best hand gun for the money hands down. I'm not an expert but I have shot a few and compare it to a Glock 19 and I'll take the Ruger any day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any new p90's or p97's purchased recently by anyone?

i bought a slightly used p90 2 months ago at gun show here in spokalou.....had NEVER EVER fired a .45 b-4, just 9mm taurus....my gosh.....did i ever upgrade good.......

i cloverleafed the 1st 5 at 7 yds, and then made the leap out to 25 yds. and proceeded to 7" group standing with no rest...

if i can do that with no .45 experience, that is testament to this fine pistol.

jesse, u are not exxagerating this fine shooter...i highly recommend it as well.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, not really...don't even have a 1911 type handgun and haven't had one in about 9 yrs...just don't like the P97.

Got 2 P95DC's and love them.

And for being informed, I've had over 200 different types of firearms in 40 yrs of shooting...so plz don't offer advice that makes you look like a loudmouth dip...I'm NRAJOE and I approved this smackdown.

o.k. mate.....go ahead and spend 2-3 hun more for a beauty queen that won't group any better than the ROOG...it's YOUR DINERO.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my P-90 .45. Am seriously considering buying the sister 9, but my next gun is the Sig P229 Elite 9 stainless. Purchasing 1st Saturday of April. Can't wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK please forgive my ignorance, but my .45 says it's acp but the shell that came with it is auto. What exactly is the difference and can I use ACP ammo with the P90? I've been firing only 230gr. .45 auto. Will this mess it up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
.45ACP = .45 Automatic Colt Pistol. Think of .45 Auto as an abbreviation.

--
Mike

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I recently read that Ruger would make a 1911 .45 Auto if there was enough interest.
Wow, this thread is still running after 9 years. It was my first official post on this website.

What is so amazing... after all this time, Ruger finally came out with a 1911. So, Ruger (as of now) has offered 4 .45ACP semi-autos: the p90,p97,p345, and the Ruger 1911.

WOW!

I have to say... how things have changed...

·
Registered
235 Posts
We got a P90 a while back and we both shoot real good with it. It was the wife's idea. Put Hogue grips on it. I hand load 230 grain Hornandy LRN's with 4.5 grains of Bullseye.

The wife had a LCR .38 special+P but shoots much tighter groups with the P90.

I don't see 'em in the Ruger catalog or the Website anymore. Did they stop making them?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts