Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me why Ruger uses an safety that must be pushed up to fire instead of pulling down like the proven conventional way of the 1911? Studies have shown that the fine hand coordination needed to push a safety up is much harder to do than pulling the safety down under a stressful conditions such as a gun fight. So why do they do it and can this gun be converted to a downward safety like the 911?

·
Registered
133 Posts
ruger p90

I have a P90 and I dont know why. But mayby its just the way Bill Ruger wanted it. JMO

·
Registered
85 Posts
My P-90 has a "hammer drop safety", and I like the design. With the safety down, the gun won't function at all, and that's the safest way to carry it. If I get into a position of "need", it's instinctive to use my supporting hand to move it upwards. Let's say you catch some bad guy downstairs digging through your valuables, you have your P-90 pointed at him, with your trigger finger positioned along side the guard. It takes one second to slide the safety upwards, place your finger in the guard, and fire. If he happens to grab your gun in the dark before you see him, chances are he is not familiar with it's function and the gun can't be fired. In addition, if the gun is cocked to fire single action, pushing the safety down decocks the gun safely. Seems like a brilliant system to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts