close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger p89/94 which one?

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by JohnD, May 14, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

I am wondering about these guns and which is the most accurate. What kind of groups should they get fired from a rest?

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

GET A P 95 STAINLESS. THESE ARE THE NEW ERA OF 9 MM.

3. JohnD

JohnD Member

Those are the plastic ones. I do not want the plastic ones.

4. NRAJOE

WELL I GUESS SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO TASTE, LOL

5. JohnD

JohnD Member

Sorry but I do not think much plastic belongs in guns!! If I want a plastic gun I will but a cap gun.

6. NRAJOE

OOOOH,NOW YOUR OPENING A BIG CAN O' WORMS,WHERES ALL THOSE GLOCK GUYS!!??

7. JohnD

JohnD Member

No it is just what I like. Not that I think plastic is no good but it is not for me. I even am hessitant about the aloy used in them. I come from an agracultiural/industrial background and plastic just aint the same as steel.

8. holyokster

holyokster G&G Newbie

I have a P-89 and a KP-90. If you want an accurate weapon try the P-90. In my hands it is far more accurate than my P-89. The recoil of the .45 over the 9mm is not bad and it's satisfying to see all those big holes so close together!

9. JohnD

JohnD Member

Ok now I am interested in a p90. Recoil don't bother me and it is for target shooting anyway, well actualy more for fun. I reload so the ammo cost is not much more than 9mm that way. But what is The price differnce?

10. DougW

DougW G&G Newbie

JohnD, back to your origional question. The only real difference between the P89 and the P94 is the profile of the slide. As far as accuracy, I don't think one has an advantage over the other.

As for the P95/P97. Yes the frame is a polymer, that is glass reinforced. Unlike the Glock or H&K, there are no steel rails for the slide to ride on. The rails are polymer. I own both a P94 and a P95, and I personally prefer the P95 because it is noticeably lighter, and it has less "felt" recoil. The polymer is impervious to solvents and oils. It is not a compromise of materials. I haven't seen a single Ruger weapon fall apart from the use of inferrior materials.

You should also know that Ruger doesn't make a steel framed autoloader with the exception of the .22. All the "P" series are made with an aluminum alloy, of course with the exception of the P95/P97. Steel is good. You may want to look at one of the CZ75 series of pistols since they have a steel frame.

Have fun and enjoy.:D

11. holyokster

holyokster G&G Newbie

I paid $300 for the P-89 (blued) and $360 for the KP-90 (stainless steel slide). I didn't price the blued P-90, it should be somewhere in between those two figures. I hear that the P-97 is even more accurate than the P-90 and I'm saving up for one. I wouldn't be afraid of going with the polymer frame. Ruger conducts extensive testing and wouldn't be in business long if they turned out inferior products. The term " Rugers are built like tanks," is commonly heard and should last several lifetimes. As with most things, it pays to shop around for the best price.

12. JohnD

JohnD Member

I have looked at a CZ but They are $700-$800 compared to $550 for a p89. But would it be worth it? The CZ I mean

13. DougW

DougW G&G Newbie

JohnD, I have seen the CZ in the $400+ range here in Texas. It is a sweet pistol. I would seriously consider it, but not at the prices you are seeing. That range would take me to a P226 or P228 first. Check Shotgun News for distributors, and some dealers who don't normally handle them might be willing to bring one in for you for a fee.

The P89's here in Texas gor for around $389. I bought my P94 out of a used counter for $250, and it was totally brand new P95's are usually under $300 new. You might look into the used counter at your gun shop, or possibly find a better gunshop. Used Glocks go for around $429 here. Good shooting!!!!

14. JohnD

JohnD Member

That's the thing I can get a p220 for the same as a CZ. But I like the steel part of the CZ. I live in a remote area so the amount of gun shops I can look at are limited. Unless I want to drive 500 miles checking out 10 gun shops, May as well buy a new one then and know what I am getting instead of looking for good used. Unless I fiind one at the local dealer.

15. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The 89 and 94 are both good solid pistols. I like Sturm-Ruger because it combines quality and affordability.

16. JohnD

JohnD Member

I think I wil eventualy get a p94.

Last edited: May 22, 2002