Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am looking to buy a 9mm, and i was thinking of either a Ruger P95DC, Beretta 9000S, Beretta 8000 Cougar, or the HK USP Compact. I am not sure which one to go with. I was hopeing to get some advice from people on which one to purchase. If there is another 9mm anyone can think of that would be better than the 4 i listed above please feel free to post it, and why it is better.

PS. I dont like glocks.

Thanks,
IAN

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here are some: CZ-75 9mm can cary cocked and locked and full cap is either 15 or 16 rnds. Priced at about 349.00

The Ruger you mentioned is a good buy for the money and I have shot a few IDPA rounds with it. It shoots nicely.

Another is the Smith and Wesson 5906 9mm 15 rnds, about 299.00. I really like this gun and had fun shooting it in a few matches, it has a fast reset.

If you don't like Glocks, you may not like this next one, but the Springfield XD is starting to show up on the scene as a good choice in a handgun. It prices around 440.00 to 525.00 (Ballpark). The stock triggers on these guns are 4.5-5.0 lbs. but it feels like much less and feels like a single action. It is worth checking out.

Last (but not least at all) that I can recommend without thinking too much more is the Browning Hi-Power, these are great guns, they can be extremely accurate, but if you get an older one I would put beefier springs in it if I was going to shoot really Hot Hot ammo through it. Standard ammo should give you no problems.

Well I remembered one of my personal favorites, the Kahr K9, and T9 not too abundant on mag capacity, but they are solid, they shoot straight, concealable, and you can get any part for the gun you need at their website to your door, at www.Kahrshop.com

Sorry for so much info but I don't think you could go wrong with these. also I wasn't sure of what criteria to meet, oh well I had fun posting some goodies up.
Good luck on your choice, God bless

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
All good choices to add, I would also add the Steyr M9 or the M40 if 40 S&W might be your thing. There's also the Taurus 24/7. I am a huge fan of the Steyrs.

Mind saying what your intended use is? Concealed carry? Home protection? Other?

·
Registered
781 Posts
CZ-75/85. I've owned the P95DC and fired a Beretta. I wish I'd bought the CZ to start. That said, the P95DC was an excellent gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or trust it with my life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
G3, not to go off topic too much but I have been interested in the Steyrs that came out. I have seen one through the glass when it first came out, but the only place I can seem to see one now is in Cdnn publications, well and on the web I am sure, but If you have first hand knowledge could you elaborate on it overall a bit? The prices I am seeing are just dandy, and the only thing that I am wishy washy about is the "inside the trigger guard" safety. That might end up being a good thing after getting used to it, but at the moment it kinda reminds me of the Mini-14 I used to own (Yuck) it didn't adapt to me and my preferences very well. (the Mini-14 that is)
The prices I see on the Steyrs start @ 249. What do you think. (Sorry to use your Thread for my own use Silly Billy, but I have been wanting to know about this for a while.)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I think the safety on the Steyr is fine, never had a problem with it. Trigger pull is great for a striker fired DA. The only reason they're out there so cheap now is that Steyr switched importers and upgraded the standard model to include an accessory rail. The newer ones are supposed to have the manual safety as an option, but the only ones I've seen don't have any manual safety. The original M series had a proprietary rail, the new models have a weaver rail for standardized accessories. They're supposed to be $500 pistols, and they will be when CDNN's stock runs out. The newer models go for the higher prices.

Excellent things about the Steyr Pistols include a low bore axis over the grip, meaning low muzzle flip, and a solid internal frame with rails and metal bearing surfaces for all moving parts. As opposed to Glock that has rails moulded into the plastic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the info G3, something I noticed is that the grip angle looks to be perfect for "Point shooting" as in Col. Applegate style shooting. Maybe I will be able to cross paths with one. am interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for all your comments. I will be using this gun to shoot at the range occasionally and carry occasionally, and home protection. so i dont know if that changes anything, but kepp the comments coming.

Thanks,
IAN

·
Registered
781 Posts
For my money, I'd get a CZ-75 Compact Decocker. Its nicer than the P95 in most every way for only a little more money. The Beretta I fired just felt too bulky in my hand. Good luck.

Edit: My bad. I thought we were talking about the Beretta M92. I've never touched the one you're talking about.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sig 239 I kinda like the Sig 225 they dont import them anymore but they are around. The closest gun that Sig makes to the 225 that is more abundant is the Sig 239. The link is to the 239.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sillybilly5015
I really like the Walther PPS 9mm. Excellent for conceal carry and very accurate. When I purchased it I was shooting low. The firearm had a #4 front sight and I ordered a #3 from Walther. They sent me one no charge. I no longer shoot low. The gun is no thicker than a pack of cigarettes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts