Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ruger 10/22 stovepipes everyother shot when i use ammo cheaper than 20 bucks a box any suggestions? i feed the same ammo through my walther and never have a problem.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Make sure it is clean. Buy an aftermarket extractor. There's tons of info out there on these rifles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am having accuracy problems with the MKIII Ruger that I use,the gun is really inaccurate,it shoots far to the left,although I have not adjusted my sights,I have been pointing the gun to the right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've handled a few semi-auto .22 rifles dating back to high school when my friend bought a new Savage model 64F. The distinctive crack and zip of the .22LR round is unmistakable and it was probably from this rifle that I became familiar with it. I never recall this rifle jamming much. Later on I had another friend buy an old used Marlin model 60, I believe. This rifle worked much the same but with a tubular magazine and we began to notice it jamming after putting nearly 70 rounds or more through it. Perhaps it was more like a 100 but in general, the gun would start to jam once the simple blow-back action became blackened with gun powder residue.

Later on, my friend bought a new Marlin of much the same design but in stainless steel with a scope. This rifle had a release for letting the bolt forward and you could lock it back in a rather simplistic way, unlike the older rifle. Still, after getting dirty from use the rifle would begin to fail. It seems like small blow-back actions in these .22 rifles are vulnerable to such and while the 10/22 has a generally good reputation, I'm guessing the same can be true. Then again, there's always ammo and replacement parts to consider. I would just make sure such a rifle was cleaned well and lubricated and see if the problem persists. The magazine is also a common culprit for malfunctions, especially those alluring high-capacity types.

·
Registered
740 Posts
my ruger 10/22 stovepipes everyother shot when i use ammo cheaper than 20 bucks a box any suggestions? i feed the same ammo through my walther and never have a problem.
A 10/22 should feed anything you care to buy. If it doesn't then send it back to Ruger. Clean it if you like or don't clean it but it should feed properly regardless if it is a good example of Ruger craftmanship. Give Ruger a crack at it. Heck I have bought guns that I sent back several times before they worked though they were not Rugers. Don't settle. I think Ruger wants you to be happy with their product. They can't help you if you don't give them a call. Stuff breaks. They pay guys good money to do nothing but fix feed problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It doesn't sound like a feed problem but more of an extraction problem. If memory serves me (not that it ever has) but the 10/22 uses blow back to cycle the action. It doesn't sound like the action is cycling back far enough to "kick" the spent shell out. Make sure the action is clean and free of burrs. You're going to have to disassemble the action to check for debris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts