Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting for the gun dealer to hook me up with a ruger over & under 12 ga. 26". Anybody with some bad or good reviews would be apreaciated? I like the pheasant engraving model listed, not that it is going to make me shoot any better it just looks great. Does'nt look like i'll get it for this weekend, so i'll take the sterlingworth. You all have a Good
New Year! Earl Easter.:feedback:http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/feedback.gif

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
decent quality field gun. should last a lifetime of hunting. if you were going to shoot any of the clay sports competetively, i would pick something other than the ruger.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks two70

the ruger red label is a fine gun, never heard any complaints about them at all
Thanks two 70 That's One For The Money. Would Like A Few More. That shotgun.... there is something about it that i just like. How different could it be from my side by sides?

decent quality field gun. should last a lifetime of hunting. if you were going to shoot any of the clay sports competetively, i would pick something other than the ruger.
Thanks lefty o
I shoot clays but not competetively. I would like to get out this weekend with the two older sons and wack some pheasants.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did Not Get The Ruger Over And Under This Weekend. But Had A Good Time Hunting The Pheasants And Grouse. Anyone Interested In Seeing Some Pictures,Check Them Out In The Gallery. Happy New Year YAALL!

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I have never owned a red label but have borrowed and shot several. Very fine gun. I have found a couple on the racks that have loose ribs on them. I was very surprised at that. The first I just thought someone abused it. The second one in another city that I found with the loose rib made me very puzzled. I love the way Red labels feel and shoot. I agree these guns are guns that your grandchildren can pass down to their kids. Would love to own one or three. Prefer a 20g 28" barrels, or a sweet little engraved 28g....*sigh* be still my heart.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
two-70

Thats A Good Thing. I Have Been Hearing Lots Of Great Results Outside Of This Site.
Mostly Gun Shops And Fellow Hunters I Just Meet Hunting. Thanks For The Post,You Have A Great Year In 2008, I'll Be Talking To You Later. Earl........

texnmidwest[/B
Thanks For The Input, I Can't Remember If The Last One I Viewed Had Any Tightening Screws Or Are They Spot Welded? Never The Less Your Right When You Get A Certain Age I Would Purchase This To Hand Down To The Older Boy. He Is Into It With As Much Interest As I. But For Right Now I'll Be The Hog. I Had A 1958 Franchi 20 Ga.Crown Grade But Could Not Shoot Very Well With It. Have A Happy New Years Talk To Ya Later. Earl...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used Red Label 12Ga.O/U 28 all year

Hey Earl,
Purchased a Red Label 12Ga.O/U 28" before the current duck season opened on Oct 20 and have not missed a weekend. Even shot a few Wednesdays too. Have fired a good number 3" shells with #3 steel shot without issue or complaint. Between the blind and the sporting clays range I've fired close to 700 rounds. Not as fancy as some of the range guns but, a damn fine workhorse for the blind.
John

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey Johnny WELCOME TO GUN and GAME feller how about going to the Introduction site and allowing us to greet you proper like...A.H

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Earl,

Just signed up and saw you questions about the red label. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS GUN! I use it for hunting for the most part. I have shot a lot of clays with it. It seems like its a little slow in pulling through the target but once you have shot it a bit you can keep up with the best of them. The Ruger Red is the best bang for the buck! I love it.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey sorry all for not posting in a while
Last monday i traded two fox sterlingworths and done the deal, its a mater of waiting until it comes in Monday or Tuesday January 21, 22, or some time around. I cant wait and will post pictures not to rub it in or brag just to show some of you that really appreciates a great tooled firearm. A little sad to ditch the Foxes, but i have a good many left.
This was a no cash deal and some of you retired folks know that retirement is great but the money in my case is not a good income and social security does not kick in till 65.
So i still can build barns, horse stables and many other Amish looking buildings even if i was a art teacher most of my life to make a few bucks.

Hey you guys are the best and thanks for everything stay in touch, Please

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ruger guys "Thank You"

Thank You all For the great input
I picked the shotgun up last night and have not put it down much, it shoots real well. I also tried the skeet tubes and this pattern seems to be the one for the grouse and pheasants. Its a wonderful group. If ya have any suggestions to change back to the regular tubes i'll listen. I had the modified on top and the improved cylinder at the bottom position worked real good but it seems the skeet tubes pattern better for the birds i shoot. Here are a couple pixshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
WOW thats a nice shotgun feller and i hope it brings you many years of excellent service and you fill your game bag full !
You did very well indeed !!

I had the privlage of seeking out what turned out to be a discountinued Browning Citori Lightning Feather 12ga. 26" barrels for my Sister.
Her husband wanted one of these models. As I did my searching it became apparent it looked like it was not to be had, so I called Browning and a very sweet young lady told me it had been discountinued.
BUT she checked her data base and gave me 3 company's to call.
The first company I called was named Zanders and they had 13 of them and were clearing them out for $ 1,334.00 the list was 1.944.00 so I asked them to hold one and gave them the name of an FFL holder friend.
The friend called them and I had it in my hands 4 days later, it was a very nice looking
over and under...But between me and you I like yours much better.
My brother in law loved it but I'd reather have the Ruger if I were buying it for me.
Enjoy feller...A.H

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
AH
That sure was a nice thing to do for your brother in law. I looked at that Browning as we discussed the Over and under deal, i liked it a lot. I was hoping i did not make a mistake. After shooting this in the snow today for only a half hour, i was happy. Thanks for the nice comment. This is why, i love this site. You guys know your stuff ! Even the guys that i have pi--ed off.
All are super individuals thanks all.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Earl you cant Piss Off these knot heads LOL But if it does happen they get over it perty quick.

I failed to mention that Browning was bought a week before this past Christmas for a Christmas present from my Sister for her Husband.
He loves to Dove hunt and has excellent connections with some big farming operation in Eastern Arkansas.
In the past he used a Browning BPS in which he did quiet well with and I'm eager to see how well he does with the O/U.
When I got home with the O/U you know I had to check it out LOL...A.H :09:

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, i really don't get into upsetting anyone ,not my style. And besides i'm too damm old.
My beer muscles left me a long time ago with a few other things. Now ever once in a while i take a shot of brown stuff to chase away the flu bugs, i don't like the doctors so that seems to work better than the flu shots. I got some beer in the frig from last summer. Gees if someone comes to visit i wonder if its going to be any good?
I wanted to ask ya if you ever heard of the diamond mine out your way................
"Crater of Diamonds State Park"? My wife i would like to give that prospecting a whirl,they claim some people walk away with some diamonds and others just sell them back for some cash and others just don't find a thing. Seems like it would be a good couple of days even if ya do not find anything. I have the e-mail address and viewed the accommodations, and all seems pretty interesting. Let me know how the brother in law likes his over and under. earl.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts